Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I WANT to give X-Rite my money but they won't take it :-(  (Read 5741 times)

Jalok

Re: I WANT to give X-Rite my money but they won't take it :-(
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 08:25:34 pm »

It should read, there is NO OBA compensation in i1P LIKE ProfileMaker Pro. PMP had it, PROFILER and i1P don’t.

Strange enough, I've got almost identical prints between PM5-made profiles with "Correct for Optical Brightener" on and i1Profiler ones. I compared them with 3 different highly-OBA-charged papers and used the same measure data to build the profiles. I can't proof i1Profiler has OBA compensation though. I'm just saying it behaves like that.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 08:26:57 pm »

Strange enough, I've got almost identical prints between PM5-made profiles with "Correct for Optical Brightener" on and i1Profiler ones. I compared them with 3 different highly-OBA-charged papers and used the same measure data to build the profiles. I can't proof i1Profiler has OBA compensation though. I'm just saying it behaves like that.

Be sure to test this with the perceptual table where the compensation will (if necessary) kick in.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 02:15:45 am »

Got nothing to do with the OP. The OP has a an upgrade issue. My first post simply stated that UV or UV Cut has no bearing when the instrument is used as a spectroradiometer. But the OP stated too that for whatever reason, the software he has to use (CalMAN, whatever that is) will not work with a UV Cut i1Pro.
Please read the first post again. It specifically refers to a requirement for printer profiling with i1Pr;
"and without the software OBA compensation in it like i1Match has for the i1Pro (non UV-cut), I can't even use it to effectively profile papers with OBA"

I've said, like a few others here, don't worry it works fine.
You've said I haven't enough data to say that, but you do say that it works fine in your review, so what's going on ?
Does it deliver good profiles from papers containing OBAs with the supported instruments or not ?
(Print viewing shouldn't be an issue as that's compensated for within the profiling engine and there's only a small number of supported instruments.)

Are you saying there are some supported instruments that don't work correctly with i1Pr ? or that there are some papers that are unable to be profiled by i1Pr ? If the answer to the either of the last two is yes, you really need to add that to your review.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 09:18:19 am »

Are you saying there are some supported instruments that don't work correctly with i1Pr ? or that there are some papers that are unable to be profiled by i1Pr ? If the answer to the either of the last two is yes, you really need to add that to your review.

From the beginning of this thread I made and continue to make two points: 1. A UV Cut i1Pro can be used to profile a display just as a No-Cut i1Pro can be used to profile a display and 2. i1Profile does not have an OBC compensation algorithm as PMP had (and Match). This was the premise you made which is unsubstantiated and backed up by the simplistic notion that because you are happy with profiles from papers with presumably (and undefined) “high” OBA’s without UV Cut, the software must be doing something the engineers have told a group of us it isn’t doing.

The best possible solution for handling OBA is an instrument that can measure with and without a filter. I have two, a Spectrolino and an iSis. Even with the iSis, X-Rite has provided another OBA compensation tool with a target and software that one uses to visually adjust the resulting profile!

The next best possible solution is to have two devices with each option. I have two, an i1Pro with and an i1Pro without UV Cut filter.

The last option is one in which someone has to purchase a single instrument either with or without a filter. In such a case I’d recommend a device with a cut filter but THIS IS NOT IDEAL. That’s WHY manufacturers have instruments that can handle both modes of measurement!

I’ve seen cases where high OBA papers (high after viewing under a black light AND reading the bStar values around -6) produced better results in terms of a profile using a NO CUT filter! There is no simple answer here which you seem to desire. Sorry, its a very complex area of colorimetry. The light source of the instrument, how it may filter UV, the papers, the viewing booth or viewing illuminant ALL play a role in which mode of measurement will produce the ideal results.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up