Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still Panoramic in Final Cut  (Read 3705 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Still Panoramic in Final Cut
« on: June 06, 2011, 07:32:39 am »

Is it possible to add a Panoramic image into Final cut, not as still image but to pan along it's length zooming in and out at various points?

Kevin.
Kevin.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Still Panoramic in Final Cut
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:15:46 am »

Yes, I much prefer doing this sort of work in After Effects but it is possible to do directly in Final Cut but arguably better & easier within the Motion application of Final Cut Studio.

In FCP, import the media; drop it on the timeline; double click the scene to open it in the Viewer then use the Motion tab to set scale & position keyframes. If this is new to you, expect a learning curve...

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 10:41:03 am »

Yes, I much prefer doing this sort of work in After Effects but it is possible to do directly in Final Cut but arguably better & easier within the Motion application of Final Cut Studio.

In FCP, import the media; drop it on the timeline; double click the scene to open it in the Viewer then use the Motion tab to set scale & position keyframes. If this is new to you, expect a learning curve...

Did you say curve? I just finished a 10 sec sequence which has taken hours. Curve more of a steep clif :-)
I asked the question after many attempts to get the file to appear in FC, it did after lots of down sizeing. Then it was ages realising that I had to mark each point with a scale point not just an anchor. It all seams quite simple now but learning which order to do things in took sometime as well.

Thanks,
Kevin.
Kevin.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 11:06:03 am »

Congratulations! If it only took a few hours and looks acceptable you have done well. I have toyed with Motion work in FCP and ran for the Adobe hills.

BTW if your needs are relatively simple, you might want to check out Photo to Movie.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 05:47:00 pm »

I have toyed with Motion work in FCP and ran for the Adobe hills.
I have looked at that and also the motion choreography in AE and Premiere.  I can't believe the byzantine layers set up around such a simple task!  I have a long career in motion choreography for cinema and am puzzled that after all these years nothing better is available in these mainstream programs!  Surely there must be something a little less obtuse.

PS.  It should be called the Charles Eames Effect.  Ken adopted the process that Eames had used since 1978.  It's not Ken's fault, the name was thrust upon him.  Here's the device Alex Funke and I built for the Eames Office.  I took about 30 seconds per 35mm Kodachrome slide to set up a pretty sophisticated move.  Note the roll of 5247 dated 1-28-79, Besseler color enlarging head, audio tape-cassette program loader, and other retro content.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 03:39:31 am »

Congratulations! If it only took a few hours and looks acceptable you have done well. I have toyed with Motion work in FCP and ran for the Adobe hills.

BTW if your needs are relatively simple, you might want to check out Photo to Movie.
Thanks yes it looks OK but could be better. I would like there to be someway I could control the acceleration rate of the zoom or pan. Yes I can set the duration, but it would be nice at the start and end to have a more gradual build up and slow down. Other than lots of points I can't anyway to do this.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 01:39:33 pm »

Right click on the keyframe marker you wish to smooth and choose:......smooth! This gives a tiny Bezier curve which is adjustable but hugely fiddly IMO
Pages: [1]   Go Up