Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In response:What they think about...  (Read 954 times)

Patricia Sheley

In response:What they think about...
« on: June 05, 2011, 07:35:07 pm »

Sorry...just couldn't resist!  They perform! They celebrate the observations!!!
A common woman~

Rob C

Re: In response:What they think about...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 02:21:24 pm »

Pat, I don't quite know what's happening with either the computer or LuLa, but I note that a reply to this post has vanished off the face of the world. It was perfectly on topic, and totally anodyne, so where did the post and I go wrong? This has happened to me a few times of late.

Anyway, my lost observations included that I noticed that one of the birds was wearing (probably still is, dead or alive) rings! I can't remember the rest of the message, but thought you'd like to know you were not overlooked!

Rob C

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 04:15:58 pm »

Not to worry... was just meant as gentle pleasantry with all the talk of girls and such, and what ducks think about...I should know better. The bird you mention Atlantic Puffin along with the Razor-Billed Auks are part of the alcid family. Because of egg harvesting by farmers and shooting of the adult birds for their feathers they were pretty much wiped out along the Muscongus Bay and Fundy areas of Maine and Canada by the 1900's. One egg a year didn't help the equation. This Island's (Machias Seal Island) recovering population is carefully monitered by The Canadian Wildlife Service,hence the banding rings you note. On this day in the area we saw Mures,Dovekies, Razor-Bills the Puffins and several Guillemots.

It's really amazing to think that until 1844 that there were even Great Auks (the larger relative of the Razor-Bills you see here pictured in the "love dance" ) They stood 30" high and could dive to 40 fathoms but were brought to extinction by the needs for meat and oil. I was lucky enough this day to land (with a group from Switzerland , Germany and Scotland, a reunion of past Rhodes Scholars with their binoculars) The bays are really beautiful that far north and east with huge boiling tides due to the Bay of Fundy...

His banding signifies repeat returns and nestings...the researchers have thorough records and now with  the tiny transponders available their travels are even more amazing to moniter.

Sorry about my lame sense of humor...was still recovering from the joy of the sea...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 04:17:33 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 05:34:37 pm »

Pat, for me it's twenty-four past eleven at night; I was supposed to be going to a bar at ten-thirty tonight to do a recce of a group that plays there two night a week, the bass also plays in the jazz group I shoot regularly, which is why I thought I'd go and see if it was worth/possible to do anything, but I'm just too pooped to pop. My bed sounds much more attractive, but once I get into the Internet it's the end of early sleep.

So for me, at least, your humour is perfectly fine, but don't expect that I shall always see it! It all depends on my state of mind, and that varies like the current Mediterranean weather patterns. I've just replied to a post about 50s musos; I've got the Rajun Cajun in my ears sending its delightful swamp pop rock; I've just had to learn how to do screen grabs (at last) because I wanted to be able to show somebody the atmosphere in the Patty Loveless Crazy Arms video, a combination I want to do with 20s makeup. Not me wearing it, of course, the girl I'm hoping will find it interesting. All these influences at one time, exhaustion, the toll of the years and I hardly know if I'm coming or going, but on the half-full or half-empty principle, I think I must be going.

Aren't birds fortunate? All they have to do is eat and, as noted, kill cars.

Buenas noches

Rob C

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 10:31:46 am »

Nice photos. We went to Machias Seal Island a couple of summers ago, as birders rather than as photographers. What a terrific place.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up