Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seen on the street  (Read 1949 times)

jeremypayne

Seen on the street
« on: June 05, 2011, 06:53:28 pm »

BC ... doing his thing ... he didn't like having his picture taken.

Rob C

Re: Seen on the street
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 05:21:02 pm »

Photographing old men as a cover for the real target, the jewellery store across the street, won't wash!

Rob C

PS  I think they did the 'jewels' for Cadillac.

jeremypayne

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 08:39:13 pm »

Rob ... You know who the old man is, right?

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 03:39:16 am »

Sorry, Jeremy, I have no idea to whom BC refers.

Rob C

PS  On the other hand, I have just realised that I've been sitting here, earnestly thumping the keys, with my ears on for the past hour. And I forgot to switch on the sound. But at least my ears are warm.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:53:23 am by Rob C »

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 04:06:17 am »

Bresson-Cartier? ???
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 06:35:40 am »

Bresson-Cartier? ???

Or, Bonnie Clyde, Bill Clinton, Bill Cosby - no - hardly, Bing Crosby, Billy Crystal? I'm stretching.

Does a clean lemon wearing rubber bands have the same artistic merit as a brand-new tennis ball?

Rob C

jeremypayne

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 07:54:48 am »

Or, Bonnie Clyde, Bill Clinton, Bill Cosby - no - hardly, Bing Crosby, Billy Crystal? I'm stretching.

Does a clean lemon wearing rubber bands have the same artistic merit as a brand-new tennis ball?

Rob C

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/27/style/the-picture-subjects-talk-back.html

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 01:07:21 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/27/style/the-picture-subjects-talk-back.html

With the background explained, good shooting!

*I'd say to him, ''But isn't this a better photo?'' And he'd say, ''Yes, child, but this photo tells the story better.'' For him, it wasn't about the aesthetics of photography. It was about storytelling.*

Something we should all keep in mind but don't; MF anyone? Seriously, though, he's absolutely right, and as said elsewhere it's horses for courses.

I'm sure the name is familiar, but I had no mental association of him and why he sounds familiar. Maybe it's because he is US-based and, as such, inhabits a very different world to the one I knew anything about.

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 01:33:06 pm »

Sorry, Jeremy, I have no idea to whom BC refers...

Where is the acronym police when you need one? ;)

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 03:46:31 pm »

Where is the acronym police when you need one? ;)

Probably hanging around a corner watching a photographer commit himself?

Rob C

popnfresh

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 07:08:12 pm »

BC ... doing his thing ... he didn't like having his picture taken.
Frankly it doesn't look like he's doing much of anything. It also doesn't come across to me that he's not liking his picture being taken or even that he's aware that it is being taken.

A picture like this depends entirely on knowing who the subject is and being impressed by that information. On its own it looks like an ordinary picture of an ordinary guy on a NY sidewalk to me. As Russ would say, "so what?"

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 04:44:02 am »

Pop, you've just touched upon a terrible truth about people photography: the model makes the shot. If you look at most David Bailey collections you find the same shot of Mick Jagger in his fur hood, of the Cray twins and so on it goes. That's not to knock Bailey, who I think is a great photographer, but that the public conception of him is all associated with characters from the 60s, regardless of the zillion shoots and commercials he's made since then.

And so with the Cunningham shot, as pointed out. The only thing it meant to me was the jewellery store across the road, and the fact that we have been pursuing street/public place shooting (railways) in another thread that concerned security and the right to violate or challenge it, depending on your point of view of these things...

On its own (the shot) it's like so many other exposures - meaningless. I have enough of my own to know. In the old days we used to get them on the first winding-on frames in the cassette; very creative angles and feet, mainly.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up