Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just joined the H1/2 club with a P20  (Read 3412 times)

bcooter

Re: Just joined the H1/2 club with a P20
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 10:38:06 pm »

i love those working photographer moments like above bcooter !!! Thanks. It really sets the scene. The client currently is myself and my own dreams.

here is the holding site for some of the work I have been doing to share with you as a thanks and to let you know I do actually take pictures.
http://www.tthebrit.com/gallery1.html

this is the sort of stuff I am thinking for the MF - was all shot on D3s Nikon.

perhaps some of you can tell me how they may look with a P21+ or indeed P20 ? apart from square :-)

thanks again .

T

For a lot of work, we are all our own client, even on paid gigs.

I like your work, somethings I would change, some not,   but to really be different and standout, the camera would probably be only 10% of it, at that.

In a pre post production world, to offer a different look on far away, unique places takes a lot of effort.

Irving Penn did it in New Guinea with a traveling studio and natural light, (and of course an enormous amount of talent).

Had Mr. Penn been in the age of digital, I don't think a Canon, Nikon or IQ 1-billion eighty would a made a difference.

Now we're into the post production era of photography where the concept usually heavily relies on post production skills.

Not that it takes any less talent, or effort, it's just a different way of working.

I've shot something quite similar with the style your working, though worked the background to add to the sky and effect.

This was shot with a 1d mark II (not even a 1ds) and ran in a book, across 1 and 2/3's pages.  Nobody noticed what camera I used.

Your work is quite nice, with either more in the front or more in the back it would probably be nicer, though once again that's just personal opinion.

IMO
BC

P.S.  please excuse the imsge I posted on the same page as Mr. Penn.  I'm under no illusions I'm of that stature.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:40:09 pm by bcooter »

TMARK

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 02:58:24 am »

To the OP:

I really like your work.  If I were you, I'd forget medium format.  If you want a bigger file, I'd get a D3x or a Leica M9.  Just my opinion.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 07:42:32 am »

To the OP:

I really like your work.  If I were you, I'd forget medium format.  If you want a bigger file, I'd get a D3x or a Leica M9.  Just my opinion.

I tend to agree with all of these points. Also with regards to your work. Really nice.

sanzari

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 10:08:16 am »

coming from this forum, i am very touched and thank you for your positive comments. I have just completed the second body of work and will be posting something a little more finessed as some point soon. I hope to run an exhibition to raise awareness for the region and the people and next year liekly running trips into the region with a few photographic surprises. this is charity work not commercial so finding it hard to justify the expense.

Spoke to DTEK today in the UK , very helpful. They told me to hang on for a P30 or P45 ( already noted above) and go for an DF Mamiya as the shutter on most others will not last they way I shoot.

So back to the drawing board I guess and 11 Grand UK to find. !!!

Ow dear. However in the mean time I plan to chat to my mate with an Leica M9 and see if Nikon will loan me a 3DX !!!

All advice still welcome, I and thanks again for the postive comments, its always nice to hear from peers.

T

sanzari

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 11:36:34 am »

Bcooter,

I re-read the post and feel even more honoured having looked at your work. I will certainly take into account your comments of more foreground or background.

The images should speak for themselves and all were shot as portraits reflecting peoples jobs on the most part. I love you shot of the cabbage grower in Mexico or Bolivia it looks to me.

I believe your work has a more commercial feel meaning, it can be sold, this is what I feel my personal work lacks and I am trying to develop that area away from Weddings which I shoot under a separate company name.

I sadly agree with you that the world is going post production mad and your skill in Photoshop is now as important as seeing the light to get a differentiated look. The subjects are no longer the difference as the world is digital now and everything is photographed.

I will track you work and enjoy the news items I see. LA, Paris and NYC, what about London :-)

thanks for taking time to look.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up