Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC SpectraView2 software or...  (Read 2265 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
NEC SpectraView2 software or...
« on: June 03, 2011, 12:28:08 pm »

I see I've joined a growing trend. I just purchased dual NEC Multisync PA241W monitors to replace my 3-year old BenQ 24" and Samsung 24". (Partially, because I finally couldn't stand not being able to match them.) I was reading about the NEC calibration software. Seems quite good, and ably matched with their monitors. The thing is, I already own i1 Match (non-UV version) and the Datacolor Spyder3Elite. Currently, I've been using the Spyder3.

Is it worth buying the software only Spectraview2 (it works with both my i1 sensor as well as the Spyder3), or just stick with what I already have? Anyone use Spectraview2? (The download software is "only $90", so after the cost of teh monitors, not a huge outlay.)

Thanks for the thoughts.

Nemo

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: NEC SpectraView2 software or...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 01:34:41 pm »

I would recommend getting the SpectraView software. It allows precise 10 bit/channel calibration inside of the display rather than making adjustments in the 8 bit/channel video card LUT. More accurate and no banding. I use the SpectraView with an i1Pro spectro. Not sure about the Spyder3's abilities with the PA241W's wide color gamut.

nemophoto

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 04:39:12 pm »

Great! Thanks, Jeff, for the quick advise and the reasons to go for it. I noticed the lit from NEC said something about 12- and 14- LUTs being possible. Just marketing hype?

Schewe

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 05:17:25 pm »

The SpectraView software does an internal calibration using, I'm pretty sure, 10 bit precision...not 12 or 14. And yes, it does help eliminate banding caused by white balance and gamma adjustments.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 09:27:47 am »

The SpectraView software does an internal calibration using, I'm pretty sure, 10 bit precision...not 12 or 14. And yes, it does help eliminate banding caused by white balance and gamma adjustments.

Spectraview does an internal calibration using LUT of the display, so it can be 10bit in P221W, 12bit in x90 series or 14(16)bit in the above mentioned PA series display.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

leuallen

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 03:39:28 pm »

I had the iOne system and got the full Spectraview setup (with puck) when I got my 2690 and glad I did. I like the fact that after you press the button to calibrate, you can just walk away and come back to a finished profile. No babysitting thru various dialogs. Much faster and easier and therefore more likely to be done.

Larry

nemophoto

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 03:13:18 pm »

Wow! Just got around to calibrating my monitors with SpectraView2. Easiest and quickest calibration I've ever done. Truly painless. Probably helps that the monitors are "smart" and communicate with the software and computer, so it's all automated. The best $90 I've spent in a while. Also, if you look at the minutia of the details, it's interesting so see how two "identical" montors vary a bit.

I used my i1 spectrophotometer instead of the Spyder3. In the readme, NEC says there are inaccuracies reading a wide gamut with the Datacolor spyder, though the software will support it.

I highly recommend the software to anyone with higher-end NEC monitors.

Nemo

Schewe

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 06:36:51 pm »

I highly recommend the software to anyone with higher-end NEC monitors.

Glad you like it...the guy responsible for the SpectraView product line is a member here on LuLa. WillH will be happy it works well for you!

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 11:44:11 pm »

I am not qualified to judge SpectraView II, and so I did not respond to the OP, but I am happy to add my thanks to the software responsibility-meister, and to vouch for the software in use.  I have two NEC monitors (2490WUXi2 and PA271W) and have found using SpectraView II with my ColorMunki simple and effective.  For me, too, the $90 was money well spent (as part of, to be sure, a budget which included the monitors and the hardware calibrator).

nemophoto

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 07:22:45 am »

Thanks for the info. Kudos to WillH! Nice piece of software for a reasonable price.

Glad you like it...the guy responsible for the SpectraView product line is a member here on LuLa. WillH will be happy it works well for you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up