Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Detained For Photography in Baltimore  (Read 8665 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Detained For Photography in Baltimore
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 09:08:44 pm »

Fine street photograply, Slobodan. Bravo!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 04:07:21 am »

I'm fully aware of the outrageous and ridiculous implication that the photos might be used to plan terrorist attacks.

We might as well ban Google since one can plan for attacks on chlorine production facilities, chemistry books for supplying bomb making guidance, or train schedules for allowing to plan for best concentration of trains. These are far less far-fetched and much more actionable than any set of photographs of any public transportation system taken in a public place.

Fear of photography is the stranger danger or boogey man of today, along with plenty of others born from terrorist attacks which occupy way too much mind share, but are useful in keeping the masses compliant and in fear.I'm done with this BS.

Now that is paranoia!

Rob C

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 07:17:55 am »

Now that is paranoia!

Is it?

I thought that by now most people understood the principles of FUD. It's an only too common instrument, and it works exactly as intended. Unfortunately many people as easy to manipulate ('weapons of mass destruction' comes to mind).

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 09:44:19 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 08:05:51 am »

I blame Jack Bauer; all these people thinking that terrorists photograph the targets they intend to blow up. Trust me, PIRA didn't wander Belfast, Derry & Crossmaglen with F3s & rolls of FP4. Had they done, things might have been a lot easier for the poor sods trying to stop 'em from killing people.

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2011, 08:43:28 am »

I blame Jack Bauer; all these people thinking that terrorists photograph the targets they intend to blow up. Trust me, PIRA didn't wander Belfast, Derry & Crossmaglen with F3s & rolls of FP4. Had they done, things might have been a lot easier for the poor sods trying to stop 'em from killing people.
[/quo

Probably not, Bill, but then they lived in the friggin' godforsaken place. Or at least had friends who lived in the next street. Do you remember the Europa Hotel? We did a shoot in the classic bar across from it one night for a Tennent's calendar. We had to wait until closing time to get in and work; the police had to be warned that flashes would be going off...

Yeah, it was a spooky gig and I hated every minute of it, almost as much as the leg of the shoot in Dublin where we spent a rainy morning watching the fuzz pull a stiff out of the Liffey.

In some places you can feel the tension, and I doubt it's all imported.

No wonder I like beaches and beautiful women, preferably far away from other people.

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:37:51 am by Rob C »

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 01:59:08 am »

The day I decide to blow up a building, I'll be using Google Street View to get all kind of images from such building, comfortably and anonymously from my sofa.

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 02:53:28 am »

The day I decide to blow up a building, I'll be using Google Street View to get all kind of images from such building, comfortably and anonymously from my sofa.

And getting serious for a moment, I think you have touched on something very real there.

My son was showing me his new abode the last time he was here in Spain; it was amazing to see how clearly all the escape routes from his property were wide open to the view of every thief in Glasgow, ditto for everyone else who owns any real estate or actually lives in anything other than a tree.

It beggers belief that, somehow, such information is of actual use to anyone else - a clear invasion of privacy and security, and that's how it will always remain in my opinion, at least. Just another expensive answer looking for a problem that didn't exist. Progress, remember?

Rob C

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 10:26:17 am »

Except that "anonymously" isn't what it seems to be anymore, unless you use something like Tor (http://www.torproject.org/). The amount of information cross-linking in today's social internet is simply mind blowing .
A lot of it in the name of personalization.

dreed

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 03:05:12 pm »

Its a dangerous, nervous world; ..

No, it is not adangerous, nervous world.

Please do not equate the mindset and conditions in one particular country with the rest of the world.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 05:38:34 pm »

No, it is not adangerous, nervous world.

Please do not equate the mindset and conditions in one particular country with the rest of the world.

Indeed, violent crime has been on a steep decline for centuries in the western world where such statistics are available.

Rob C

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 03:44:12 am »

Indeed, violent crime has been on a steep decline for centuries in the western world where such statistics are available.

Hell's teeth, feppe, you've done it again! I am compelled to agree with you.

Should anyone have doubts as to the huge improvements, just admire the progress in Mexico, to name but one shining example. Or the European continent in general, where earlier national barriers have been able to be relaxed to the extent that mafias from around that continent (and beyond) can settle with impunity absolutely anywhere they choose; that is indeed a strong sign of community spirit and comradeship.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:49:54 am by Rob C »

feppe

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 02:05:09 pm »

Hell's teeth, feppe, you've done it again! I am compelled to agree with you.

Should anyone have doubts as to the huge improvements, just admire the progress in Mexico, to name but one shining example. Or the European continent in general, where earlier national barriers have been able to be relaxed to the extent that mafias from around that continent (and beyond) can settle with impunity absolutely anywhere they choose; that is indeed a strong sign of community spirit and comradeship.

You got me there for a second :P

You read sensationalist and alarmist news* too much - facts are that violent crime is on a steep decline, even recently in the UK.

* unfortunately it seems that those are the only type of news which sell, along with celebrity and sports "news."

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 02:27:29 pm »

... facts are that violent crime is on a steep decline, even recently in the UK...

Ah, yes.. facts and statistics... The same type of facts that tell us that the Great Recession in the USA was over two years ago... tell that to the 14-15 millions still unemployed, and god knows how many underemployed and those who "abandoned any hope" of finding work ever again.

As for the "dangerous and nervous world" original reference... The "danger" and "nervousness" just got different these days, not necessarily related to violent crimes. Try taking a picture of a cute kid at play in a local park, and see for yourself how "nervous" the world has become. Try telling to all those stopped and harassed by police, private guards, civil police, etc. for taking pictures on public grounds that the world has not become more nervous.

feppe

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 02:37:34 pm »

Ah, yes.. facts and statistics... The same type of facts that tell us that the Great Recession in the USA was over two years ago... tell that to the 14-15 millions still unemployed, and god knows how many underemployed and those who "abandoned any hope" of finding work ever again.

I've re-read that paper over the years several times and find it compellingly argued, and the research on it has been cited widely and expanded upon as well. I'm curious to hear if you have any substantial objections to its data, other than "all statistics lie 87% of the time."

As for the "dangerous and nervous world" original reference... The "danger" and "nervousness" just got different these days, not necessarily related to violent crimes. Try taking a picture of a cute kid at play in a local park, and see for yourself how "nervous" the world has become. Try telling to all those stopped and harassed by police, private guards, civil police, etc. for taking pictures on public grounds that the world has not become more nervous.

Fully agree here. On the other hand I guess it's better to be afraid of imaginary or marginal threats these days rather than the real ones of days past.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 02:57:27 pm »

... I'm curious to hear if you have any substantial objections to its data, other than "all statistics lie 87% of the time."...

No, no objections. As you know, I also, by the virtue of my profession and personality type, often rely on and resort to facts and statistics... its just that life is often more than just facts.

For an interesting portrayal of the dichotomy, see the U.S. TV series "Bones", and the interplay between the two main characters.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 03:13:02 pm »

I've been hassled a few times by security folks in Chicago. Once, a CTA guard who came from a CTA station onto a nearby street corner to say that I couldn't photograph a CTA station. I said "What station? I'm on this public city sidewalk and photographing this street corner, just like you see the camera doing on this tripod. I'll be here for another 45 minutes or so." She walked away and didn't come back.

The second time I set up my tripod on Chicago's LaSalle street in front of the Federal Reserve Bank shooting passersby with the various bank buildings in the background. A female guard from the bank came over and told me I couldn't shoot there. I said I could and would be there until I finished. She left and a few minutes later a man in a dark suit came out who very courteously said that the sidewalk there was actually on the property of the federal bank. After a few mild questions that convinced him I didn't have a RPG in my 200mm lens he left me alone.

I think half the battle is standing your ground with knowledge of the law and half the battle is to know when to move along. If he insisted I move off federal property I would have -- then used my 2X lens.

llcopperworth

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 04:43:10 am »

Quote from Piet
A brave photographer traveling on the metro system with real courage and stays put. Long video in two parts. Educational and inspiring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iMr76atjUA&feature=related

It is a real shame that 9/11 can be used for such mindlessness. It is true that in London, even in Malls innocent people taking pictures are stopped by security and asked if they have sought permission to take pictures. What a waste of police time. You cannot penalize the masses like this - and it will not stop terrorists. It is not impossible to work around officials like this.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:18:56 am by llcopperworth »
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not. - Mark Twain

AveryRagan

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2011, 01:14:09 am »

And I thought stranger danger was only used to scare kids.

And what exactly is the possible danger to the public in taking photographs in a public place of a public transportation system?

Absolutely nothing!  All one has to do is take a ride on the transportation system to gain all the information needed without any photographs being taken. If you want photographs they probably have plenty on the systems website.

It is simply a power trip to intimidate the public into subservience.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up