Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: reflections on reflections  (Read 4357 times)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
reflections on reflections
« on: June 02, 2011, 12:42:50 pm »

It's not street photography, and there's no cut logs, but C&C welcome just the same

popnfresh

Re: reflections on reflections
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 01:02:12 pm »

It's not street photography, and there's no cut logs, but C&C welcome just the same
It's perfectly fine that it's not street photography. This isn't the Luminous Street Photograph website. It's also not the Luminous Logger website.

I like about 2/3 of this shot, but I feel you needed to pare it down some to concentrate on the wonderful tree reflections. The lower right corner, in particular, seems extraneous to me. But I hesitate to recommend cropping this photo. I would have moved the camera in closer on the water and/or used a longer lens.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:04:05 pm by popnfresh »

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:44:19 pm »

Thats a great image, but I want to suggest something:
You have a lot of sharp details and (for my taste) its becoming too much.
I'd suggest to turn clarity/local contrast down globally and then restore it locally
to the level you have now with a brush and select the important stems and branches.
If you could make the sharpness more selective, I believe this image - which I like-
would become even better.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 02:07:42 pm »

It's also not the Luminous Logger website.

You've got to love that one, haven't you?  ;D

I wish I could be that quick . . .

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 04:34:18 pm »

Thats a great image, but I want to suggest something:
YOU HAVE A LOT OF SHARP DETAILS AND (FOR MY TASTE) ITS BECOMING TOO MUCH.
I'd suggest to turn clarity/local contrast down globally and then restore it locally
to the level you have now with a brush and select the important stems and branches.
If you could make the sharpness more selective, I believe this image - which I like-
would become even better.

I think too much is about right.  I like it when there is too much as long as it doesn't spill.  The lower right is a reach, but I don't find it as extraneous as Pop does; its corner lines with the bank on that side.  I wouldn't throw it back.

Bruce

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 04:54:41 pm »

I think too much is about right.  I like it when there is too much as long as it doesn't spill.  The lower right is a reach, but I don't find it as extraneous as Pop does; its corner lines with the bank on that side.  I wouldn't throw it back.
Bruce
Yes - its another aesthetic and of course possible - a matter of personal taste.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 05:35:18 pm »

Bruce
I'm with Bruce on this one.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 03:45:26 am »

Is this the moment to say Me Too!?

Only kidding; tried it in colour?

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 03:53:30 am »

I wouldn't crop a centimetre. The bottom right provides a nice lead in to the main part of the image. Overall the blacks,whites and mid tones are nicely portrayed. A pleasing image. Was it your own work Bill? ;) :)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 04:03:13 am »

Is this the moment to say Me Too!?

Rob C

+1  ;)
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 04:04:12 am »

William Walker

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 04:10:47 am »

Good morning!

Rob C

I hope Russ likes it!
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

William Walker

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 04:22:49 am »

Was it your own work Bill? ;) :)

Hey Stamper! Good to see you haven't changed!

You've been a bit thin on the ground lately - I hope it hasn't taken all that time away from here to think that one up? I detect a new subtlety here, and I like it! ;D

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 09:22:49 am »

I hope Russ likes it!

You guys might be surprised to know how many shots similar to this one Cartier-Bresson made. You probably think I'm kidding, but I'm not. As Casey said, "you could look it up."

I like it. There's a there there -- in the reflections.

Don't crop it!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

stamper

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 11:17:13 am »

Hey Stamper! Good to see you haven't changed!

You've been a bit thin on the ground lately - I hope it hasn't taken all that time away from here to think that one up? I detect a new subtlety here, and I like it! ;D

I am still around on a regular basis. A little more mellower, but that could change for you.  ;)

degrub

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 12:21:01 pm »

i like it. It's country street.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 03:51:01 pm »

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad the consensus seems to be to not crop, not least 'cos I framed it deliberately for that bank to lead into the picture. I wasn't sure it was the right thing, and did think about cropping tighter around the pool, but decided I preferred it with the bank there.

The sharpening thing is interesting, not least because I have no idea what is & isn't appropriate sharpening; I just go with what looks right to me. At least it avoids a formulaic approach, though I concede I could know a bit more about the subject than I do.

And yes, all my own work  :)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 05:06:09 pm »

The sharpening thing is interesting, not least because I have no idea what is & isn't appropriate sharpening; I just go with what looks right to me. At least it avoids a formulaic approach, though I concede I could know a bit more about the subject than I do.
Well - as you could see from this thread the (creative - not capture or output) sharpening is highly subjective.
So - basically you can do what you want.
I personally prefer a tension between sharp and unsharp areas with some exceptions of pure unsharp or pure tack-sharp images.
What I often do (in Lightroom)  is, to turn down clarity a lot, increase global contrast as far as sanely possible and
then paint back the clarity into areas I feel it belongs to. Of course the devel is in the details and sliders ...
but this can help you  to create that tension and get excess sharpness out of the image.
Of course its best when it looks natural and is not to be seen afterwards as a PP trick.

William Walker

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 01:54:15 am »

I'm surprised no-one mentioned the way the reflections of the trees look very much like they could be the roots, particularly on the right-hand side?

2jbourret

• http://jamesbourret.photoshelter.com
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 10:30:25 am »

"It's perfectly fine that it's not street photography. This isn't the Luminous Street Photograph website. It's also not the Luminous Logger website." :)

Amen to that!

It is interesting to me that, in spite of this forum's name, how often really good landscapes are met with disdain, particularly if they are color landscapes.
Jamie Bourret
[url=http://jamesbourret.p
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up