Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC Pa241 after calibration with Spectraview II  (Read 8523 times)

mbalensiefer

NEC Pa241 after calibration with Spectraview II
« on: June 01, 2011, 04:32:10 pm »

I have calibrated my new monitor twice: once under Photo Editing (which is default), and another time under "sRGB Emulation" (See Photo "2.jpg").
 Once I perform the calibration, my monitor's setting, as shown on the OSDisplay, changes to "Spectraview"...and is very very cool (overly blue).

The way I get my monitor to look right is to simply change the setting on the OSD to spot 2: which is sRGB. Spot 5 is "Spectraview" (See Photo "1.jpg").

After doing this, when I open the Spectraview software again, I get the dialog: "The settings for xxx have changed: do you want to reload the previous calibration settings?
 If I click "Yes" then my screen goes back to blue (but hey--it's calibrated) and the setting on the OSD says "Spectraview".
 If I click "No" then my calibration status is listed as: "Calibration Off"...So I am not opening the software again, and, after calibrating for sRGB emulation, I am leaving my display settings set on "sRGB".

Is this normal behavior, and have I calibrated this correctly?

Thank you!
Michael

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: NEC Pa241 after calibration with Spectraview II
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 05:56:19 pm »

You want to leave it on Spectravision, using the OSD you are bypassing the calibration and just getting a factory default spec. 

If the sRGB profile is too blue for you, perhaps you could recalibrate with a warmer white point?

I don't think there is a magic white point number, just like there is no magic luminance number. This is especially true if trying to match a display to printed output.  If the white points don't match, the only variable is in the monitor profile. 

My NEC is @6100 (although it is a manual custom white point), the apple Cinema display is set to 5900 ... whites are pretty close to a match.  I've never been able to get a monitor to print match with a display profile based on a 6500 white point.

mbalensiefer

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:05:47 am »

Wayne; by your manually setting the white point, do you mean Here (White Point.jpg)?

MarkM

• Alaska Photographer Mark Meyer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 04:01:26 am »

You should be able to specify a white point in the calibration target specification screen of the Spectraview.

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:14:00 am »

If you are seeing a *significant* difference in white point between the SpectraView calibrated sRGB white and that of the OSD selected sRGB white, then that may indicate a problem with the color sensor. What sensor are you using? If you measure white on the screen (using the Colorimeter tool in SpectraView) while sRGB is selected via the OSD, what value does it measure (Yxy)?
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

mbalensiefer

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 04:09:26 pm »

Hi, Will.
 I just used that tool on my PA241W. My sensor is an X-Rite E1D2. Here are the results when selecting sRGB mode using the OSD.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:16:04 pm by mbalensiefer »

mbalensiefer

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 04:15:25 pm »

You should be able to specify a white point in the calibration target specification screen of the Spectraview.

Do you mean like so; by entering your numbers in "Black Body" under White Point? I changed it to 6100k.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:17:09 pm by mbalensiefer »

WillH

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 02:10:50 pm »

Hi, Will.
 I just used that tool on my PA241W. My sensor is an X-Rite E1D2. Here are the results when selecting sRGB mode using the OSD.

Looks like something is way way off with the sensor. Some more information is necessary to be sure. PM me with the results of a calibration using the "Photo Editing" Target (right-click on the first tab in the Information window and select "copy").
Will Hollingworth

mbalensiefer

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 02:26:10 pm »

@Will: Done!

WillH

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 03:12:17 pm »

I couldn't send this via PM, and also for the benefit of others reading this, the attached image shows what your sensor is measuring for the color gamut (colored-in triangle), vs roughly what it should be measuring (green line triangle). As you can see the sensor claims to be measuring a red that is outside the limit of "real" colors.

Time for a new sensor.....
Will Hollingworth

mbalensiefer

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 12:02:52 am »

Thanks, Will!
 To recap:

1) Buy new sensor
 2) Calibrate my monitor under Spectraview II Software (sRGB emulation setting)
 3) KEEP my monitor set for Spectraview via the OSD.

My old calibrating software was Eye-One Match. It came with Eye-One Diagnostics that would let me test the puck.

Michael

howardm

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 09:45:34 am »

Are you using a generic i1D2 puck or the custom calibrated NEC one from the Spectraview 'SV' bundle?

mbalensiefer

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 11:26:13 am »

I am using the i1D2 puck.

howardm

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 02:18:51 pm »

the generic puck is not going to do a great job on a wide gamut display.  That is one/primary reason
to get the NEC branded one (it has different internal filters or software tweaking to do the right thing).

mbalensiefer

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 03:04:16 pm »

Hi Howard.
 That is what I have inquired about to NEC but they had told me that this puck should work as well their branded one. Curiously, I have tested this puck out using Eye-One Diagnostics (enclosed, and on their Web site at http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?Action=support&ID=766 ) and that software reports my puck as fine. My research is still pending..:)

Michael

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 07:50:25 am »

I have the same set up as you, except I have two PA241 monitors. I have a thread under "computers" asking about the excellent Spectraview2 software since I already had the i1 and Spyder3 software and spectrophotometers. I had spot on calibrations (incredibly quick, painless and accurate) with the Sprectraview2 and i1 puck. If anything is causing you problems, in my opinion, it's trying to use the sRGB colorspace, rather than the AdobeRGB Colorspace the monitors are capable of. Why in the world would you want sRGB when you are fortunate to have monitors capable of a much wider color gamut?

Nemo

mbalensiefer

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 12:11:48 pm »

I output in RGB so I need to see exactly what my users will see. I am awaiting my new puck, so I will let you all know what turns up!

Nemo, question: Your OSD you have set to "Spectraview II", correct? For wide gamut, what do you have your Target Settings set to in the SVII software?

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 06:18:08 pm »

I have the OSD set for AdobeRGB, 6500K. For SV2, I have a modified setup for Photo Editing. I use AdobeRGB, 6500K, with a Luminance set to 200. Personally, I don't like a dark monitor, and some of the settings such as 120 and 160 are more from CRT days. I find my prints match my monitor, so the proof is in the pudding as they say.

The reason I asked about sRGB was because, you lose nothing by taking advantage of your wide gamut monitor and gain much. A lot of my work goes to clients as RGB (rather than CMYK). You can always proof in Photoshop sRGB, if you need to. My i1 puck is about five years old, but still right on. It does lack the UV filter, but that's more an issue with some paper profiles than a monitor. Your old i1 may be fine if you try some different settings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up