Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo Assistant Boot Camp  (Read 4807 times)

RobertEdwards

Photo Assistant Boot Camp
« on: May 31, 2011, 04:05:43 pm »

I wanted to pass long this info for those just starting out and those looking for a more professional photo experience.

The Original Photo Assistant Boot Camp  http://www.photoassistantbootcamp.com

I took this workshop last year and it has helped me greatly.
I see that the next one is coming up on June 18-19 in New York City.

While it is intended for those looking to be photo assistants for commercial photographers, the information and lighting skills that the instructor James presents during this 2 day event is outstanding.
In 2 days James, who is a great instructor, must have shown us around 18 different lighting setups. And unlike other events that I have attended in the past, James had us setting up the lights and doing the metering ourselves. This made a HUGE difference when it came to my remembering how to duplicate what he showed us on my own sets. Did I mention that I got to play with Profoto, & Broncolor studio strobes? As well as HMI's, KinFLo's and more studio equipment than I had ever seen in a real NYC photo Studio.

Like most of us here I look at magazine ads and fashion layouts and it all seems way over the top and out of reach. After reading James bio I found that he has worked with many of the famous and few infamous photographers whose images I admire. James really does pull the veneer off of commercial photography and showed the tricks used and exactly how to get the same lighting that: Scavullo,  'Annie', Mark Seliger, Antoine Verglas, Michel Comte, Norman Jean Roy, Henry Leutwyler, and a host of others use for their images.

After taking this workshop, lighting no longer seems like an 800 lb. gorilla in the room that I need to wrestle with just to create a great image. Seriously James just makes it all so easy and everything make sense.

I just can't say enough about how that 2 day experience has enhanced my photography and lighting skills.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Re: Photo Assistant Boot Camp
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 04:52:10 pm »

Astroturfing? Probably a little too suspect for a first post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

Cheers,
Tom Brown

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 06:14:49 pm »

Astroturfing? Probably a little too suspect for a first post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

Cheers,

You're being too kind and giving the benefit of a doubt where none remains.

It's becoming more and more blatant here (and elsewhere).

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:27:40 pm »

Before this thread (and the OP account) is deleted, perhaps the OP would care to respond?

RobertEdwards

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 12:53:29 am »

Seriously?
I join a photo group, pass along a positive experience I've had that others may find beneficial and instantly my post is suspect?
WOW, nice group you got here.
I to will give the benefit of the doubt and assume that not everyone on these forums are as judgmental.
Best
Robert

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 02:02:51 am »

Seriously?
I join a photo group, pass along a positive experience I've had that others may find beneficial and instantly my post is suspect?
WOW, nice group you got here.
I to will give the benefit of the doubt and assume that not everyone on these forums are as judgmental.
Best
Robert

You joined this site, dpreview's forums, and photo.net's one just to post exactly the same message... that's SPAM, period.

RobertEdwards

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 02:29:31 am »

So what you take issue with is that I chose to share the same information on forums with out changing the wording?
Does this make the information any less valuable? or the positive experience I had at this event any less valid?
Tell me if I had proclaimed the virtues of an APA or ASMP or other photo event would you reaction be just as negative?

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 03:11:56 am »

So what you take issue with is that I chose to share the same information on forums with out changing the wording?
No, I take issue with the fact that you are using this forum (and others) for the sole purpose of promotion.

Does this make the information any less valuable? or the positive experience I had at this event any less valid?
This is not valuable information, it is useless SPAM.

Tell me if I had proclaimed the virtues of an APA or ASMP or other photo event would you reaction be just as negative?
You have been told at dpreview.com (where all your posts are also SPAM, by the way), your account at photo.net has been canceled and all your posts removed, and you have been told here... do you really need any more clues?

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 03:25:22 am »

I love LuLa.

And its really pissing me off, when I read a thread an finally find out its another poisoning of these awesome forums with this kind of crap.

YOU ARE STEALING MY TIME AND OTHERS TIME TOO!

And though I am completely not an authoritarian person in general, in these cases of abuse I believe the moderators have all the right to mercilessly cut out the cancer.

Sorry Robert - I just do not believe your story of the innocent zealot.

I think Chris can hit the button .....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 04:37:29 am by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 10:53:46 am »

Spam is spam is spam. We've had several similar spam messages on LL in the recent months, and they are getting more frequent and blatant. Astroturfing is the next big thing in advertising (decent movie about the subject), but we must fight it before it takes over forums - it has already taken over photography blogs where plugging products seems to be a requirement to be mentioned in the big blogs.

Michael, Chris et al have been quite lenient on established members posting news about their gallery exhibitions etc. - which I have no problem with, not that I have a say in this -, but the very first message from a new member being a very thinly veiled ad for a workshop is too much.

Seriously, the OP "review" is so unapologetic in its astroturfing that I feel dirty just reading it.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 06:05:29 pm »

Seriously?

Yep...you didn't "join" LuLa, you registered in order to post. If you had spent a little time getting to know the ropes and actually posted some BEFORE you made an announcement, you might have gotten a different response...as it is, you join, it appears, for the sole purpose of promoting an event (without bothering to run it by the moderators I gather from Chris' response).

You got what you deserved bud...so, either actually join the forum and enter into legit discussions or go away.

P.S. it's also suggested that if you post a link to a commercial event you state you relationship to the event or lack thereof in your post. Absent that, the presumption is you are a shill. Have a nice day...visit again when you have something useful to discuss.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:08:56 pm by Schewe »
Pages: [1]   Go Up