Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do umbrellas need shafts, and other philosophical concerns  (Read 1352 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography

Since Photek Softlighter II "umbrella softbox" was chronically out of stock, I bought two knock-offs on eBay. The problem is that they don't have a removable shaft, so I have a ~50cm metal pole protruding towards the eyes of my models - an accident waiting to happen, and also limits how close I can bring the light.

I've examined the umbrella, and can't really see a reason why I couldn't just lop off the end with a hacksaw. It wouldn't collapse gracefully anymore, but it shouldn't affect its closed or opened performance as long as I guide the shorter shaft to the center hole when opening up the umbrella. Anyone tried a similar operation?

Also, if I take a photo in pitch dark with a film camera, does it result in a picture?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:45:31 pm by feppe »

alain

Re: Do umbrellas need shafts, and other philosophical concerns
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:49:00 pm »

Since Photek Softlighter II "umbrella softbox" was chronically out of stock, I bought two knock-offs on eBay. The problem is that they don't have a removable shaft, so I have a ~50cm metal pole protruding towards the eyes of my models - an accident waiting to happen, and also limits how close I can bring the light.

I've examined the umbrella, and can't really see a reason why I couldn't just lop off the end with a hacksaw. It wouldn't collapse gracefully anymore, but it shouldn't affect its closed or opened performance as long as I guide the shorter shaft to the center hole when opening up the umbrella. Anyone tried a similar operation?

Also, if I take a photo in pitch dark with a film camera, does it result in a picture?

The center shaft of the Paul Buff plm is shorter, just for that purpose.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 04:20:40 pm »

Yes.

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:16:01 pm »

Of course. You get something very much like BobDavid's black dog against a black background but with less contrast.

Jeremy

feppe

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 06:35:16 pm »

The center shaft of the Paul Buff plm is shorter, just for that purpose.

Man, I wish I stumbled upong those before going for the Softlighters or knock-offs. I'll get a pair of 86" soon for sure - they seem to offer the same light quality as Softlighters based on quick googling, but are available in bigger sizes and have a removable diffuser.

How long are they fully collapsed?

Thanks for the tip!

alain

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 01:45:38 am »

Man, I wish I stumbled upong those before going for the Softlighters or knock-offs. I'll get a pair of 86" soon for sure - they seem to offer the same light quality as Softlighters based on quick googling, but are available in bigger sizes and have a removable diffuser.

How long are they fully collapsed?

Thanks for the tip!

The 64" gives me 85-86cm.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 03:43:49 am »

Well, at least nobody will be sending you spam for extensions!

Rob C

feppe

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 10:43:25 am »

Thanks again, that would fit well in my light stand bag, have to contact them to ensure the 80" fits also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up