Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Photographs Work by George Barr  (Read 10210 times)

David L. Robertson

• http://www.photographybydlr.com
Why Photographs Work by George Barr
« on: May 31, 2011, 01:05:56 pm »

What Michael failed to note in his review of George Barr's new book is that Michael is one of the 52 photographers who has an image featured in this book.  Congratulations Michael.  You are in rarified company.  David

P.S.  Still waiting for the LLJV for our Amazon trip.  :-)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Why Photographs Work by George Barr
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:25:19 pm »

Full disclosure?

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 04:10:07 am »

Full disclosure?

Why did I immediately think of Michael Douglas and Bruce Willis's ex?

Rob C

michael

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 07:13:18 am »

Really? What page?

Michael

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 07:25:22 am »

What Michael failed to note in his review of George Barr's new book is that Michael is one of the 52 photographers who has an image featured in this book. 
I fail to find the image. But despite this the book is still good ....

feppe

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 10:40:37 am »

Really? What page?

Michael

I have been trolled :P

David L. Robertson

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 01:04:12 pm »

Here is the description from the O'Reilly web page:

Every photographer, from weekend enthusiast to professional, can learn by studying the "greats". In Why Photographs Work, author/photographer George Barr analyzes 52 striking images by some of the world's top photographers. Accompanying Barr's analysis of each image is an explanation by the photographer describing the circumstances of making the image, including not only the how, but also the why. Also included is each photographer's biography, a reference to his or her websites and publications, and brief technical descriptions of the equipment used in making each image.

With guidance from Barr, we learn to decipher that certain intangible "something" that makes an image go beyond the ordinary. As we gain an understanding of and appreciation for the elements that make an image truly great, we are bound to improve our own images as well.

Included are images by: Charles Cramer, Bruce Barnbaum, Harald Mante, Dan Burkholder, Nick Brandt, Hans Strand, Roman Loranc, Huntington Witherill, Susan Burnstine, Ryuijie, Beth Moon, Phil Borges, Shaun O'Boyle, David Ward, Michael Levin, Michael Reichmann, Michael Kenna, Cole Thompson, George Jerkovich, Bengt Ekelberg, Sandra Davis, Brian Kosoff, Joe Lipka, Gordon Lewis, Lawrence Chrismas, Craig Richards, and many more.

David L. Robertson

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 01:05:21 pm »

You are kidding, right?

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 01:33:10 pm »

You may have seen a web page, but I have the book.
And there simply is no MR in it.
So much for indirect second hand information.

feppe

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 01:42:07 pm »

You may have seen a web page, but I have the book.
And there simply is no MR in it.
So much for indirect second hand information.

I wouldn't call the publisher's website indirect or second-hand information - looks like they just messed up. Perhaps they wanted the publicity having Michael's name attached to the book ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 02:11:33 pm »

It sounds to me as if there's a juicy story here somewhere. Maybe the Censors spotted something unseemly about Michael's image after the website was up but just before the book went to press, so they had to yank his centerfold. And Rob C has the only extant copy of it...  ::)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 05:02:15 pm »

I wouldn't call the publisher's website indirect or second-hand information - looks like they just messed up. Perhaps they wanted the publicity having Michael's name attached to the book ;)
True - but now you see how quick information deteriorates ... isn't it frightening?

michael

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 05:36:38 pm »

I was unaware of the publisher having included my name in their publicity. They are wrong.

George asked me if I'd like to be included, I said yes, but then some combination of my travels and his publication schedule meant that I didn't get my material to him in time and so I was not included. The PR blurb must have then been based on an early list of profiled photographers.

Watch out for the black helicopters though.

Michael

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 09:26:57 pm »

Watch out for the black helicopters though.

Saw one this morning, Michael, but I couldn't get to my camera in time.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 03:39:00 am »

It sounds to me as if there's a juicy story here somewhere. Maybe the Censors spotted something unseemly about Michael's image after the website was up but just before the book went to press, so they had to yank his centerfold. And Rob C has the only extant copy of it...  ::)

You see? LuLa is not just about another rock, another tree after all! Prayers answered; relax, go home and have some hot soup.

Unfortunately, Rob C does not have that unique centrefold any longer: those damned Black Hawks came here whilst I was having lunch at the favourite restaurant and stole it clean away; shame you were too slow to catch them, Russ, the evidence could have gone all the way to the top! There should be a law against all that air pollution. In fact, there probably is, but as with so many laws, the problem lies in the enforcement.

Recent comment in these august pages reminded me of Newton's Sumo, and on taking another peek yesterday, I came across this quotation:

"It is interesting to compare European and American mores in regard to my work. Most of my European images have a stronger sexual content than those destined for American publication. The term "political correctness" has always appalled me, reminding me of Orwell's Thought Police and fascist regimes."

Also strange is that the more subtle and, possibly, more effective hints of sexual perversion are to be found within some fashion publications; so much for the gentler sex, if not for those who claim to know what it likes and wants to buy!

Quite brings me back to my old lament: Si jeunesse savait et vieillesse pouvait.

:-(

Rob C

Peter McLennan

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 12:05:29 pm »

I've ordered my copy.  I've also retrieved my ancient copy of "Examples" from the bookshelf and put it on the bedside table. 

Thanks for renewing my studies of The Fundamentals.  ;D

P

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 02:10:19 pm »

I've ordered my copy.  I've also retrieved my ancient copy of "Examples" from the bookshelf and put it on the bedside table. 

Thanks for renewing my studies of The Fundamentals.  ;D

P

Well, to each his own, but I'm glad it isn't Sumo on your bedside table; bump into that in the middle of the night and you could lose your foot.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up