Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: question of choosing h4d-60 or phase one iq180  (Read 29511 times)

torchiam

• hell is singing
    • shoots
question of choosing h4d-60 or phase one iq180
« on: May 31, 2011, 08:07:27 am »

hi everyone,i am a new guy here and need your help.

i am going to set up a studio soon,focus on commercial portraits,basically magazine covers,fashion,or maybe weddings later.my camera options are hassblade h4d-60 and phase one iq180

i asked some retailers,some of them mentioned,as i quote,although iq180 wins on the pixes,but when you really enlarge the image,hasseblade gives you more feeling of the texture.

i understand that the lens effects the result a lot,just like the CCD dose.so i am going to ask the question base on the whole system but not only the back. did anyone here try both cameras? what do you think?is one of them really stands out or both of them are good?

thanks in advance!
this is Torchiam and his army vs the world

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
Re: question of choosing h4d-60 or phase one iq180
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 08:16:54 am »

Hi Torchiam and welcome,

I am hoping existing H4D60 owners will chime in here and give you their perspective.  They have of course used the cameras in commercial applications.

In terms of why I think Hasselblad is a system very much worth considering Ill condense into a list...

•   11 High performance lenses – all with lens shutter and in-built AF motors
•   Fully automatic digital lens corrections for all H lenses – no manual lens selection. Uses actual capture conditions reported automatically by the lens to correct for Distortion, Vignetting and Chromatic Abberation
•   Instant manual focus override – no need for manual switching of focus mode
•   HTS 1.5 Tilt/Shift converter with 5 lenses including automatic digital lens correction
•   CF lens adapter for Carl Zeiss C/CF lenses with full lens shutter operation
•   Digital lens correction (as above) for all Carl Zeiss lenses too
•   Advanced auto-focus system including gyro based True Focus
•   Interchangeable viewfinders
•   Larger and brighter viewfinder image
•   Excellent ergonomics
•   Camera mirror-up mode, for zero vibration captures. Mirror remains UP between captures.
•   4 User programmable buttons, for short-cuts to the most used functions
•   7 user profiles storing complete camera set-up, for fast and safe access to different modes of operation
•   Convenient single battery solution – only one battery type and charger required
•   DC Power Grip, for powering the camera from mains power
•   Full camera remote control via Phocus and Phocus Mobile for iPad and iPhone. Remote camera control includes focussing via control of the AF motor
•   Fully user upgradeable camera firmware for viewfinder, camera and lenses. No need to return to the service centre
•   GPS accessory
•   Multi-shot functionality option
•   Rollei- and Schneider electronic shutter control for View Camera use
•   Single color profile delivering outstanding colors – no need for profile selection depending on the subject.

Any questions - please ask!

David
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

design_freak

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 08:24:15 am »

hi everyone,i am a new guy here and need your help.

i am going to set up a studio soon,focus on commercial portraits,basically magazine covers,fashion,or maybe weddings later.my camera options are hassblade h4d-60 and phase one iq180

For this kind of work - H4D40 will be better for you. You don't need 60 or 80 Mpix...  Hight ISO will be welcome if you want to shoot weddings.
For differences in price, you buy your lenses :-) Of course, any dealer will tell you that you need a 60 Mpix, check yourself whether you really need it. 
Best regards,
DF

torchiam

• hell is singing
    • shoots
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 08:31:16 am »

hi David,thanks for the fast and detailed response!!

your ID tells me you are on the hasseblade side ;D so please allow me to ask a little more here.

is h4d is still capable to connect with film magazine?

and if personally compare the uniqueness of  image quality of iq 180 and h4d-60 what will you say?i mean not about the operation of the camera body.

torchiam

• hell is singing
    • shoots
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 08:38:06 am »

to design_freak

thank you for mentioning the budget aspect.

although i am buying a camera as a tool,but i myself is also quite of camera enthusiasm.and since it is a long time investment,i really want to get the top of the line.i am also thinking about h4d-200ms because of future products shoot business.and also that is why i am not looking at iq160.one reason is i heard rumor that iq160 is a repacked P65.the iq180 is the one really makes difference.the only question is how much difference it really makes.

thanks again!

• Capture One
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 08:38:25 am »

No problem!

H4D is no longer compatible with the film magazine.

Image quality from any MF product these days will blow you away, regardless of manufacturer.  Be wary of those who tell you different!

What I believe, where I strengths lie, is a very accurate, natural pleasing colour rendition of the H4D60 (and other H4D cameras).  We don't rely purely on ICC profiles to deliver good colours from the H4D.  Therefore in Phocus (our software) you will not find different ICC profile options for Product, Portrait, Daylight, Flash etc.  We are confident that our colour engine produces what the photographer wants to see regardless of lighting type and subject - in particular a wide variety of skin tones.

I realise that is a bold claim(!) but your own tests I think would confirm that if you took an H4D60 for a spin.

Indeed a H4D40 might be a better choice if you are more concerned with flexibility than outright mega pixels.  Think about what you really want from the camera.

David

David Grover

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 08:38:49 am »

Torchiam,

If you get an opportunity--actually, let me rephrase--you *should* create an opportunity to test drive the H4D and the IQ180 (I assume on the Phase/Mamiya camera).  (Between those two cameras, I would recommend the Hasselblad, hands down.)  The IQ180 looks like a terrific back, but I would think you will want to test drive the cameras, to see which is your cup of tea.

-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

torchiam

• hell is singing
    • shoots
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 08:46:08 am »

to David

i think you answered all my questions i can ask.thanks a lot for the help.i assume you work for hasseblade.and i bet i am right ;D

so i have one more little question.is there a 60mp back version of the stainless h4d,or it only provides with 40mp back.

thanks!

• Capture One
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 08:48:21 am »

to David

i think you answered all my questions i can ask.thanks a lot for the help.i assume you work for hasseblade.and i bet i am right ;D

so i have one more little question.is there a 60mp back version of the stainless h4d,or it only provides with 40mp back.

thanks!

Absolutely I do!  ;)

At the moment the stainless in only available in the 40 configuration.

D
David Grover

torchiam

• hell is singing
    • shoots
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 08:49:59 am »

to bradleygibson

you are right!a lot of people mention the difference of the camera operation to me.i tried the 645DF once,not really touched every button.but it seems all fine to me.i am going to find a h4d to play a little bit to find out the difference.

thanks for the help!

design_freak

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 09:52:01 am »

to design_freak

thank you for mentioning the budget aspect.

although i am buying a camera as a tool,but i myself is also quite of camera enthusiasm.and since it is a long time investment,i really want to get the top of the line.i am also thinking about h4d-200ms because of future products shoot business.and also that is why i am not looking at iq160.one reason is i heard rumor that iq160 is a repacked P65.the iq180 is the one really makes difference.the only question is how much difference it really makes.

thanks again!
h4d-200: Consider well, if you want to use it for fashion. This is an excellent camera, but unfortunately it is not very ergonomic because of too short a viewfinder. A small thing, but it will annoy you terribly.
Best regards,
DF

torchiam

• hell is singing
    • shoots
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 10:41:57 am »

to design_freak

oh yes,i think i read about it here.it is funny.i actually downloaded the pictures of 40 and 200ms to compare.it is dramatic,the viewfinder hardly reaches out.i guess when you shoot still objects,you just turn the mirror up and wait the camera takes its 6 shots,no problem here.but when you try to get a frame of a fashion model it definitely stick to your face all the time.

on the other hand,to reach out that about 2cm more will surely make the camera big and .....may i say ugly.....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

design_freak

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 11:04:03 am »

on the other hand,to reach out that about 2cm more will surely make the camera big and .....may i say ugly.....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

As you said, it's a tool. Perhaps it will look more massive, but it certainly will be more ergonomically. But remember that Scandinavian design is of a very high level. I think they will manage this problem. I am confident that this too will be the new viewfinder. (I hope that this will be an opportunity to resign from the flash)
Best regards,
DF

gazwas

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 12:19:29 pm »

Hands down H4D-40 for any and all of the stuff you mentioned above.

Wedding and portraits on a 60 or 80MP camera, you must be sadistic!  :o

Seriously I'd hate to imagine working my way through hundreds of 60/80MP files on any computer and enjoying the experience. Then to only output the images at A4 99% of the time never mind the technical challenges involved in actually capturing a sharp image in the first place with an 80MP sensor during a wedding.

I really think you need a reality check as to what you actually need in a camera rather than what the enthusiast in you wants (lusts) for.  ;)
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

torchiam

• hell is singing
    • shoots
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 12:32:19 pm »

to gazwas

this is a good point.i think different works needs different tools.i was working with Volkswagen and coco cola and other commercial projects.the standard is there.although not all the pictures have been made will be printed big to hang on a tower ,some of them only get on internet page or A4 size magazine.the logic is you always get the best for the client.and when you need to go small,you just change the menu or resize the file.but when  want to go big,the menu and resize will not do.

and i do really want to have a piece of that business ,though i do not have it now.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 01:24:26 pm »

i asked some retailers,some of them mentioned,as i quote,although iq180 wins on the pixes,but when you really enlarge the image,hasseblade gives you more feeling of the texture.

Please please please either contact a dealer for each and download some sample raw files or ideally shoot some of your own to test this statement. To me (a very biased source of info to be sure) this statement is utter non-sense - I think if you ask David Grover to reply directly to this image he will say something very similar to what he said re: "Image quality from any MF product these days will blow you away, regardless of manufacturer.  Be wary of those who tell you different!"

is h4d is still capable to connect with film magazine?

A Phase One IQ180 can be used on a Phase One DF or Phase One AF body. While the DF cannot use a film magazine the AF body can. This would provide a relatively inexpensive way to use any of the focal plane lenses with film. An AF body (as a backup and for use with the film magazine) can be purchased for around $1100 refurbished with a warranty (though availability varies from month to month) and does not have to be "coupled" to a particular back since Phase One's system is open to any back on any body.

and if personally compare the uniqueness of  image quality of iq 180 and h4d-60 what will you say?

I'd likewise agree with David that IQ at low ISO and for short exposures will be excellent with both cameras. That's not to say the same, but to be very clear they will both perform extremely well. If you get a chance to compare I'd look for differences in higher ISOs, longer exposures (10 seconds +), and in tough dynamic range situations (e.g. lifting shadows and recovering highlights).

What I believe, where I strengths lie, is a very accurate, natural pleasing colour rendition of the H4D60 (and other H4D cameras).  We don't rely purely on ICC profiles to deliver good colours from the H4D.  Therefore in Phocus (our software) you will not find different ICC profile options for Product, Portrait, Daylight, Flash etc.  We are confident that our colour engine produces what the photographer wants to see regardless of lighting type and subject - in particular a wide variety of skin tones.

I realise that is a bold claim(!) but your own tests I think would confirm that if you took an H4D60 for a spin.

IMO there is no such thing as a camera that has "natural pleasing colour" for every application. As a simple example a camera which has "good skin tones" with it's default ICC profile (assuming it has more than one) will have very poor red discrimination for product/landscape/still-life applications. This is because one of the elements of "good skin tones" is reducing the cameras sensitivities to subtle variations of red. That is why Leaf and Phase One provide multiple ICC profiles which can be applied at capture or after the fact (since it's always a raw file) to allow very very easy application of color response which is better suited to a particular application. In addition Capture One features what I would strongly say is the most powerful color editor available in any raw processing software (including features that aren't even available in photoshop). So while I would argue the IQ180 also has "natural pleasing colour" for most situations using the default (zero effort) ICC profile I think it's a strong advantage that you can select another ICC profile specifically for "portrait" or "outdoor daylite" or "flash".

i really want to get the top of the line.i am also thinking about h4d-200ms because of future products shoot business.and also that is why i am not looking at iq160.one reason is i heard rumor that iq160 is a repacked P65.the iq180 is the one really makes difference.the only question is how much difference it really makes.

Saying the IQ160 is a "repackaged P65+" is I think grossly unfair. It is using the same sensor as the P65+ but every other component has been swapped out for a far more modern pipeline, chassis, and user interface.

The H4D-60, P65+, and IQ160 all use the same Dalsa 60mp sensor. That is now one generation old - though to be clear - still an exceptional sensor. The new top-of-the-line is the Dalsa 80mp sensor, exclusive to the IQ180 and Leaf Aptus II 12. The H4D-200 is a multishot back, and we (Capture Integration) do not comment negatively on any product we do not sell, so I would simply encourage you to make sure you actually get a multishot back in your hand and do a multi-shot shoot so you understand the positives and negatives of that process; it is a very different workflow than any other camera you've used (which would all be single shot backs). The IQ180 does have greater dynamic range and better long exposures than the 65+ but the differences are subtle when compared to the leap of either back over 35mm dSLRs.

Seriously I'd hate to imagine working my way through hundreds of 60/80MP files on any computer and enjoying the experience. Then to only output the images at A4 99% of the time never mind the technical challenges involved in actually capturing a sharp image in the first place with an 80MP sensor during a wedding.

I must be mis-reading as this seems like the perfect argument to use a Phase One IQ180!  ;D

Phase One realized this fact of life several years ago: many applications will not require the highest resolution and using higher resolution than needed means slower workflow.

That's why they worked with Dalsa to produce the only (current) pixel-binning sensor technology which works at the pre-raw level. The technology is called Sensor+ and allows the IQ180 to shoot an 80mp raw file with ISO 32 to 800, or a 20mp raw file with ISO140 to ISO3200. The quality of the sensor+ files is the same as the full raw file, but with 1/4th the resolution, and two full stops of native ISO gain. This means you can carry one camera with one set of lenses/batteries/chargers and switch between the world's highest resolution single-shot capture (tied with the Aptus II 12) or a faster 20mp camera with captures up to ISO3200.

Lastly, not often fully considered by first time purchasers is the software. You will be spending a lot of time in either Phocus or Capture One. Capture One is an industry favorite for tethered capture and raw processing even for Nikon and Canon shooters. These non-phase-one users are opting to use Capture One not because it's their only option but because they've done their own testing and found it to be faster and produce better image quality than their other alternatives. It has an extensive set of tools to allow you to get as much done at the raw stage as possible (which is a faster and better quality workflow than moving the file immediately to PS). Google "digital tech" for your area and call up the first few names you find and ask which medium format back they prefer to assist for and use the software of.

My strong suggestion would be to get your hands on both sets of cameras and do a real-world shoot with each including setup, tethered and untethered shooting, editing through the raws, adjusting the raws as much as possible in-raw, processing and retouching in photoshop.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

gazwas

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 01:29:31 pm »

and i do really want to have a piece of that business ,though i do not have it now.

I cn see your thinking.... Get the biggest and best now for the clients your aiming for. In reality though my perception is clients are wanting smaller and smaller now. The only time I get asked for large files is for packaging jobs or recently for vehicle (lorry) graphics. Most clients want jpegs via a download link.

IMO the big MP cameras are for the people who want maximum detail in a single capture like landscape and architectural photographers. In other sectors like your interests mentioned in your original post, too much detail can be a bad thing.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

design_freak

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 01:47:04 pm »

I'll just add my 3 cents,
There is no ideal equipment for everything. That does not exist.
Fashion photographs: H4D40 / IQ140 with DF Body (H4D40 my opinion is better)
Product Photos / Landscapes: P1 IQ180 or Leaf Aptus II 12 R / Arca Swiss / Alpa
That should look a set for every occasion

I would urge you to plunge test before buying :-)
Best regards,
DF

• Capture One
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 03:40:25 pm »

IMO there is no such thing as a camera that has "natural pleasing colour" for every application. As a simple example a camera which has "good skin tones" with it's default ICC profile (assuming it has more than one) will have very poor red discrimination for product/landscape/still-life applications. This is because one of the elements of "good skin tones" is reducing the cameras sensitivities to subtle variations of red. That is why Leaf and Phase One provide multiple ICC profiles which can be applied at capture or after the fact (since it's always a raw file) to allow very very easy application of color response which is better suited to a particular application. In addition Capture One features what I would strongly say is the most powerful color editor available in any raw processing software (including features that aren't even available in photoshop). So while I would argue the IQ180 also has "natural pleasing colour" for most situations using the default (zero effort) ICC profile I think it's a strong advantage that you can select another ICC profile specifically for "portrait" or "outdoor daylite" or "flash".

I guess we are just that good Doug.

What if your shot is a model holding a Coke Can?  Wouldn't the "Portrait" profile then screw up your product colours?

Yes, you could use your skin tone editor and colour editor, but I would prefer it to be correct out of the box, saving post production time.  Wouldn't you?

David

David Grover

design_freak

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 03:55:03 pm »

David,
From a certain level, it does not matter anyway. Photographer takes pictures, retoucher (post-production) deals with such aspects as color, sharpen, etc.
Best regards,
DF
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up