Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much ink does ipf 8300 eat?  (Read 2002 times)

Jozef Zajaz

How much ink does ipf 8300 eat?
« on: May 31, 2011, 06:18:53 am »

Hi guys!

I just got my ipf 8300 machine yesterday.

Setup went very smooth thanks to youtube :)

It is a demo machine that has barely been running for 1 month and was suppose to have 70% lefter of the 330 catridges.

When i powered it up it was filling the heads, no problems there. Except the grey and yellow ran out.

Then i had to power it of last night because we needed to move it. And today when i powered it up the matte black and cyan was out aswell.

My question is, did i doe something wrong? Is there a menu setting so it doesnt eat that much ink?
 Do the printer eat this much ink when it powers up? Does the display show the ink leves incorrectly? Think is that the printer show the same levels on all the other catridges today after power up as it did yesterday.

70% of 330ml is 230ml whish is alot.

Se attached images.

Jozef Zajaz

Re: How much ink does ipf 8300 eat?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 12:45:38 pm »

Noone?

Light Seeker

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 01:39:27 pm »

That has not been my experience. I set my 8300 up in January and most of the cartridges still show full and/or one notch down. I've printed 36" and a 44" rolls of canvas along with some work on paper.

I seem to recall there being a process to run before moving the printer. If so, that probably empties the ink lines and your start-up would need to refill them. That might explain the high ink use.

You can also check in with the Canon wiki for help. . .

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/message/list/FAQ

Terry.

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 02:16:22 pm »

Okej thank you.

You mean you've printed a full 36" and full 44" canvas?

How much does the heads take up when refilling them?

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 02:42:17 pm »

I've replaced more than half of my original cartridges when the "Accounting->Show Ink & Media Used" (or something like that) indicated that I had used about 140 to 150ml each out of the original set, in response to the printer demanding a change.  The warnings started about 15ml before that, which is still time to print more or less a 24" by 40' roll.  The original carts showed as full for a long time, then suddenly went down quite fast.  So maybe there's some disparity in the ink-left reporting calculations in the special case of just after setup time.

In my case, the order of changing has been...Yellow, Matte Black, Photo Magenta, Gray, Blue, Photo Cyan, and a tie for Red and Cyan.  The rest look like they're about ready.  I'm about 2 liters down the road, the original maintenance cart just flipped down to 40%.  Been printing a lot of blue-ish images, and no photo black media.

Have been using very roughly 1.2ml per square foot of canvas, depends on the overall print density.  If you are feeling really penny-pinching you can select minimum ink density in the media setup software, but my best advice is to select the BEST ink usage setting, which for my canvas has been in the medium range.  The media setup software prints test targets you can use to select ink density.

New 330ml carts bought from a supplier weight 461 grams out of the plastic wrap, and 114 grams when empty.  Can anybody weigh one of the carts that comes with the printer?  If those original carts were indeed full, then it took about 180ml per color to prime the system.

Light Seeker

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 03:41:24 pm »

You mean you've printed a full 36" and full 44" canvas?

Sorry. . .  I mean that I've printed enough to go through a 36"x40' roll and a 44" x40' roll.

Terry.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:20:46 pm by Light Seeker »

Robcat

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 07:11:08 pm »

The 8300 certainly eats a lot of ink when it primes. After 6 mo. mine is showing total ink consumed at 948 mL, but the amount used on printing (sum for all the prints) was only 358 mL. So 590 has gone into priming, cleaning, etc. Regarding the "70% left," was that the owner's word or did you see a printout of the ink usage stats? Don't think you should've run dry even with a re-prime if there really was that much ink left.
Rob P

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 09:47:09 pm »

The 8300 certainly eats a lot of ink when it primes.
To be fair, it's not like this ink is "lost" when priming the heads/lines, so this isn't really something to be concerned about - unless you use the "move" function in the service menu which drains the heads and means you have to re-prime again. In that case yeah, you're losing a lot of ink. And it sounds like that's what happened to the original poster. Depending on how far the printer is moving and whether you think you can keep it fairly level, I wouldn't recommend draining it before a move. I've moved a 5000 and a 6300 without draining the heads and had no problems; granted the 8300 is larger/heavier, but as long as you're careful it shouldn't be an issue.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 06:09:35 pm »

To be fair, it's not like this ink is "lost" when priming the heads/lines, so this isn't really something to be concerned about - unless you use the "move" function in the service menu which drains the heads and means you have to re-prime again. In that case yeah, you're losing a lot of ink. And it sounds like that's what happened to the original poster. Depending on how far the printer is moving and whether you think you can keep it fairly level, I wouldn't recommend draining it before a move. I've moved a 5000 and a 6300 without draining the heads and had no problems; granted the 8300 is larger/heavier, but as long as you're careful it shouldn't be an issue.

Probably that's what happened. My printer was moved by the canon guys as i got it in the original packaging. The 70% is the previous owners statement. Im not complaning though as my dealer i bought from is giving me 700ml carts for free for those colors that ran out  so im  going to be ahead either way.

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 06:16:07 pm »

The 8300 certainly eats a lot of ink when it primes. After 6 mo. mine is showing total ink consumed at 948 mL, but the amount used on printing (sum for all the prints) was only 358 mL. So 590 has gone into priming, cleaning, etc. Regarding the "70% left," was that the owner's word or did you see a printout of the ink usage stats? Don't think you should've run dry even with a re-prime if there really was that much ink left.
Rob P

That sounds like way to much ink going to waste :(

do you se theese thats in the printers menu?
Pages: [1]   Go Up