Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: George Barr on Why Photographs Work  (Read 3395 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
George Barr on Why Photographs Work
« on: May 30, 2011, 09:04:27 pm »

Michael beat me to it: I was intending to write a review of this book, but I was waiting to set aside enough time to do it justice. Michael has done it justice. This is indeed an EXCELLENT book in every respect, and Michael's review is spot-on. The selection of photographs is diverse enough to provide a wide canvas for exploring what makes photographs work. George's analyses of these photos is art appreciation at its best, and the accompanying remarks by the photographers about their photographs nicely complements George's essays. The reproduction of the images is to a high standard. I was also struck by the technical variety displayed in this collection. It confirms yet again that the art isn't about whether you shoot digital or film (both are well-represented here), but whether you understand what makes photographs work. If you think you may need to spruce-up that understanding, this is the book to buy. Now one of the most treasured in my collection.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Re: George Barr on Why Photographs Work
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:48:04 pm »

I just ordered from Amazon.
Eduardo

Michael beat me to it: I was intending to write a review of this book, but I was waiting to set aside enough time to do it justice. Michael has done it justice. This is indeed an EXCELLENT book in every respect, and Michael's review is spot-on. The selection of photographs is diverse enough to provide a wide canvas for exploring what makes photographs work. George's analyses of these photos is art appreciation at its best, and the accompanying remarks by the photographers about their photographs nicely complements George's essays. The reproduction of the images is to a high standard. I was also struck by the technical variety displayed in this collection. It confirms yet again that the art isn't about whether you shoot digital or film (both are well-represented here), but whether you understand what makes photographs work. If you think you may need to spruce-up that understanding, this is the book to buy. Now one of the most treasured in my collection.

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 11:49:06 pm »

Echo that, mostly. It is a very enjoyable read. I found myself "reading" a few photographs at a time to allow time for them to settle in. It is a book I will pick up from time to time and explore at random, a few at a time. My only nit is that a heavier paper be used as in some cases there is show through the print, "Code" for example with much blank, and lovely, space. That said I highly recommend it also.

teo.karp

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:36:21 am »

I also enjoyed The Contact sheet amzn.to/ifajSQ . It details the selection process behind iconic photographs

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:30:02 am »

I just got the book today and its keeping me from doing my paperwork ....

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:43:16 am »

You've got your priorities right.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 10:56:45 am »

Does LL have an affiliate link to Amazon that I could use? Been looking for good new books on art of photography and this seems to fit the bill.

Bill Koenig

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 11:09:05 am »

Yup, just arrived yesterday, picked it up on Amazon.com for $26.37
I chose the free 5 to 8 day shipping, it was here in two days.
Bill Koenig,

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 02:38:04 pm »

A most excellent book, a welcome addition to my photography library.  After reading it through for the first time, I bought two more copies for photographer friends.

I was expecting "classic" works, historical examples.  Instead, most of the work is recent - most welcome discovery.  A truly inspiring group of photographs, complete with notes by the author and the photographers.

Highest possible recommendation.

Pages: [1]   Go Up