Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Architecture - Technical camera witch one.. ( for digital back)  (Read 7006 times)

julienlanoo

Hi, i am looking to buy a technical camera for my digital back.
I only work in architecture photography, and i shoot with Phase one....

I am informing my self, but the more i read, the more i don't know what to buy.
I am hesitating between:
- Sinar Artec
- The Arca Rmd3i
- An Alpa ( max, SWA or other ? )
- a Gottshalt

I know Luminous Landscape is verry "pro" Alpa. And i am shure it's a wonderfull brand.
But my only ristriction is that there is no sliding back on Alpa, so i wonder isn't that anoying ? ..
How can you see what your scheinfulg does ? without getting your back of your camera?

I am realy scared of moving my back on and off the camera when shooting in difficult condition... ( as the thing costs as mutch as a BMW)...
That's why the Sinar seems to me a good choise,  Also the Gottshalt has this, so this one i like to.

But this may be because i don't realy know how i could work without the sliding back, with for instance a Alpa or Arca.
So could some one clarify this ? ...

I mostely will use a Shift ( Up ) and use the tilt for the sheinflug ...

thanks
ju

MHFA

Re: Architecture - Technical camera witch one.. ( for digital back)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 10:43:01 am »

Dear ju

your post would be better in the medium format section...

I am using the Artec for nearly two years and I am really happy with it.
I tested also the ALPA and it is really a great camera, but for architectural work I can`t imagine to work without sliding back.
Also the tilt is limited to longer lenses.
With the Sinar I am as fast as with my 5DII on the tripod.
I don`t know how you are working, but I don`t like to spend to much time in the camera...

Also the 75LV is really a great back and the workflow is the best I know.

Last week I had to take about 80 pictures/day of streets in Berlin, if you want to see examples let me know...
Imagine 80 x changing the back....

Michael

www.mhfa.de

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 10:59:49 am »

I've heared contradicting opinions about the sliding backs, like losing tolerance due to the abrasive process over the years ...

MHFA

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:57:46 am »

This is very theorical, after thousands of shots I cannot see anything...
Also the shift on the other systems should have the same problem.

Michael

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 11:00:13 am »

Maybe its important to get a good build then.

julienlanoo

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 11:14:10 am »

Thanks for your replies...
I am still looking to the sinar, still think it's a good one...

archivue

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 10:00:24 am »

i went with the Arca Rm3D with not regrets... Arca offer the most versatile system...

you can use the same lens with the RM3D and a M line Two !

you can use the Rm3d with or without the sliding back

you can use tilt with all lenses

the viewfinder is by far the best

And for me, being able to focus perfectly with the focusing ring and the tables, and in the other hand, being able to frame and adjust composition on the ground glass is the BEST compromise !

henrikfoto

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 03:45:51 pm »

Could I ask what you had to pay for the camera ready to use (without he back)?

Henrik

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 04:34:10 pm »

Check out the new video demo for the Arca featuring Rod Klukas.

I have contact with top APs all over the world and the Arcas seem to be the camera to have these days.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

MHFA

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 05:45:09 am »

"I have contact with top APs all over the world and the Arcas seem to be the camera to have these days."

I think a top AP should have a personal way of working, so there can`t be a "best" camera or a camera "to have".
For my kind of working the SINAR is simply better than the ARCA or the ALPA.

Michael

www.mhfa.de

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 06:00:47 am »

I personally know a quite good and successful AP who still uses 4x5" film and a classical tech camera. There are many ways to success, and an ultra fast efficient cost minimizing workflow is only one parameter.

JonMo

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 12:26:35 pm »

If you want a sliding back, bright ground glass for focus, shift and tilt; why not consider a Hatblei cam?

I don't own one but I have used one for architecture with a leaf 65s back, Hartblei lens and Canon's new ts 24II.

It uses a motorized sliding back to switch from glass to back and I found focusing using the ground glass with the Canon lens increadibly easy.

I usually use my Cambo for Landscape with the same back, so this is my experience from a "one off".
Perhaps there is someone who owns one who can chime in?

Peter Devos

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 03:26:44 pm »

I recently sold my Cambo wide, my arca Rm3d was sold last year and now i solely use the Hartbleicam for all images that are made in studio ( tabletop, still live) and architecture. It was like night became suddenly a bright shiny day :-)))
But serious, definetely go see your dealer for a Hartbleicam demo. Maybe the camera isn't as sexy or prestigious as an Alpa or a Sinar/Arcaswiss but it sure does a hell of a job and it does so with an ease of operation that has never been possible with any other TC.
Also, you will not use it that often perhaps but one can easely mount a 180mm Leica or 300mm 2,8 Nikon on it for landscapes or stitching images, nice old Dalmeyer or Petzvall lenses, a lot of Nikon and Canon lenses and so much more. :)

design_freak

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 09:31:03 am »

Peter Devos,
It is possible to use Hasselblad HC lenses?
Best regards,
DF

Peter Devos

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 10:11:36 am »

Unfortunately no, i do have a lot of them but they are electronically controlled and i think not that simple to adapt. mamiya, hasselblad and P66 lenses do work fine.

julienlanoo

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 04:38:55 pm »

Thanks all for your replies, i find them interesting...

1 thing i can say: I chose in the beginning to work to only use the best things ( it's also mostely from my interests).
So i worked day and night to not have to use canon or nikon any more, and not have to use their lenses..
Because Shneider, is So mutch better made...

I can believe people who use them are happy with it, and i also used them, but i don't want them any more,
and i am happy to pay a lot more for a Schneider, ( It's my bread winning but it has never been about the bread).

Alos, i don't want a tilt and shift lens... i find them fiddely, and hard to maintain and repair...

So any way, that's why i won't considder hartblei, ... 
I've got nothing against hartblei, because i have hartblei at home ( lenses ) i bought them as a student for my Kiev 88 at the thime :) :p

julienlanoo

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 04:44:10 pm »

1 more thing, I will absolutely NOT consider any Cambo equipment,
For a personal reason: This because the Seller of Cambo at fotokina, WAS AN ABSLUTE ASS... " rude, afronting, better knowing, but apperently he never made a photograph ",.. I think this was because i heart my accent, and may have guessed my age, witch was a mistake.. :) :p

As i am a strickt person, i find this is no way to handle clients as i am/was in the market,  i thus desided i rather die than ever use Cambo... :p

So again nothing wrong with the camera, only the people at cambo are not people who i want to work with :) :p

greets
ju

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 06:14:22 pm »

i can see what you mean, I also made less than pleasant encounters at the photokina, sometimes it's just a language problem, sometimes something else,(remember Photokina can be (but should not) a stressy week for dealers and professionals)

anyway, did you have a look at the Silvestri Bicam? Cambo price range really, maybe not as perfect ass the Alpa/Arca, but definitely worth having a look. They don't have a great international distribution network unfortunately, but i have a very good experience with the english dealer and also immediately with the Ms Silvestri herself.

tom

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 06:16:13 pm »

Thanks all for your replies, i find them interesting...

1 thing i can say: I chose in the beginning to work to only use the best things ( it's also mostely from my interests).
So i worked day and night to not have to use canon or nikon any more, and not have to use their lenses..
Because Shneider, is So mutch better made...

I can believe people who use them are happy with it, and i also used them, but i don't want them any more,
and i am happy to pay a lot more for a Schneider, ( It's my bread winning but it has never been about the bread).

I would say from this if you handle an Alpa you will buy it.

rhsu

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 08:45:57 pm »

I've heared contradicting opinions about the sliding backs, like losing tolerance due to the abrasive process over the years ...

Ju,

Fear not with Sinar arTec.  I have been borrowing the 1st gen unit from seller and no issue the said opinions.  yes it is common with some other 4x5 sliding backs - but as always with Sinar, I am amazed with their quality built - Swiss!!

arTec sliding back has a powerful loupe magnification and a Fresnel glass.  It allows a whole range of lenses, like the others on your list.  Cambo WRS is restricted with lenses on T/S mount which I am regretting more and more - putting aside what had occurred with client treatment.  The only reason I chose Cambo because the R/F movements are on the rear and the T/S is on the lens mount - which suited my photography application.

Remember that at the end of the day you need to take physical possession of one of those units and test them out and apply them to your photography application.  You cannot fault arTec at the end of the day. 

Good luck...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up