Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Does the 200MP Hasselblad exist?  (Read 9578 times)

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
Does the 200MP Hasselblad exist?
« on: May 30, 2011, 12:14:14 am »

Read a post on Engadget regarding the new 200 mega pixel H4D for $45,000. Here's the link: http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/26/hasselblads-200-megapixel-h4d-200ms-camera-now-shipping-breaks/

Does this camera really exist?
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

donaldt

Re: Does the 200MP Hasselblad exist?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 12:33:41 am »

why not?

jeremydillon

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 12:47:35 am »

My wife has been testing one in Melbourne so I know at least 1 exists

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 02:17:30 am »

Hi,

Multishot, that is making four exposures with small movements at sensor in between. Works in studio...

Best regards
Erik

Read a post on Engadget regarding the new 200 mega pixel H4D for $45,000. Here's the link: http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/26/hasselblads-200-megapixel-h4d-200ms-camera-now-shipping-breaks/

Does this camera really exist?
Erik Kaffehr

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 03:39:36 am »

You only got that right for a part. In this case you can do 4-shot multishot for non-interpolated colors, you can do 6-shot multishot for non-interpolated colors and 4times resolution of 200MP. Naturally you can always do single shot as well.

You also got the part wrong stating you can only use it in studio (or implying it is solely for studio usage). I have pretty often used multishot outside of the studio environment, even with moving items and people (where you would use the multishot part solely for the stuff that doesn't move)!

Furthermore, very few people own & use multishot backs. I think even fewer will use the 200MS. This will also account for not spotting it very often in 'the Wild'..

Oh... I would love to be able to send in my CF39MS to get it converted to 6shots.. not going to happen :(
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 03:52:00 am by Dustbak »

design_freak

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 06:56:58 am »

You only got that right for a part. In this case you can do 4-shot multishot for non-interpolated colors, you can do 6-shot multishot for non-interpolated colors and 4times resolution of 200MP. Naturally you can always do single shot as well.

You also got the part wrong stating you can only use it in studio (or implying it is solely for studio usage). I have pretty often used multishot outside of the studio environment, even with moving items and people (where you would use the multishot part solely for the stuff that doesn't move)!

Furthermore, very few people own & use multishot backs. I think even fewer will use the 200MS. This will also account for not spotting it very often in 'the Wild'..

Oh... I would love to be able to send in my CF39MS to get it converted to 6shots.. not going to happen :(

Yes, you have 100% right. It is a single shot camera as well. But I think even the creators themselves have forgotten about it...

Let's see in the viewfinder. Viewfinder is too short. It is not very ergonomic. Anyone who tried to take pictures with this camera knows what I say. Of course, when you're shooting product is not so important, but taking pictures of people, which you can use this camera is very important. It is a pity that so many years in the factory Hasselblad nobody thought about it. So I calls for a few sensible people who still work there: Do something with this!!!
 Peter Stig-Nielsen: You have built a great camera, do not let such a minor detail that ruined the entire work. Rebuilding Viewfinder probably will not be that expensive, and that makes this camera will be even more thoughtful (perfect).

I keep my fingers crossed

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:12:30 am by design_freak »
Best regards,
DF

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 07:01:54 am »

Yes! The multishot module has always made the backs thicker than their single shot brethren. This means you have to press your face harder on the body to see properly through the viewfinder. This is definitely something that lessens usability. Especially for left-eye'd people this can be annoying however you learn to live with it (I am a left-eye'd owner of a MS back).

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 09:28:18 am »

Does this camera make a single 200MP image in one shot, as against the 80MP IQ180?
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 09:42:15 am »

Does this camera make a single 200MP image in one shot...

No.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 09:50:58 am »

Does this camera make a single 200MP image in one shot, as against the 80MP IQ180?

My understanding is that it has a hardware-based super-resolution system which requires several shots. I've seen such software - similar to stitching but you only move the camera very slightly between shots -, but can't find it with quick googling.

design_freak

Best regards,
DF

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 10:21:12 am »

Do we have information about the amount of vibration below which you have to stay to be able to full tap into the resolution potential?

I would think that the absolute movement of the camera between the 6 frames should be less that 1/3 the pixel pitch, right?

This means about 2 microns.

What reasons do we have to think that such total lack of movement can really be achieved outside the studio environment? The slighest breeze is likely to induce more movement between the 6 frames.

Cheers,
Bernard

ctz

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 10:53:42 am »

To be honest, Hasselblad 200ms DOES NOT EXIST!!!
Sure, there is a 50ms, shooting 50MP one shot and 200mp multishot. What's the big difference then between 50ms and 200ms?

This product might have appeal to product photographer (at least) but made no mistake, you cannot multi-shoot a glass of beer (the foam will "move") or a cone of ice cream.
So no 200MP for you!

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 11:05:41 am »

The problem with the 200MP multishot is basically the same as it was for the 16-shot microstep. You cannot shoot a single frame to use as a 'blend-in' for the parts that have moved!. A lot of people that are speaking about the impossibility to use multishot outside the studio have actually never used it themselves and do not realize that most people that have work flows that incorporate multishot also take a single shot for every multishot image they are going to use. If you are able to use a sturdy setup it is very possible to prevent the camera system of moving in which case there is only a potential problem with things in the frame moving. Now, the foam of a beer can move but the glass itself and most of the content will remain still. You can do that part multishot and blend in from the single shot parts that are affected by movement. I have done stuff with people in it that way.

Problem with extended resolution is that you cannot make a single shot with the same resolution as the MS to use as a 'blend-in'. Hard to do 200MS with a glass of beer.

Furthermore it is amazing with how much you can get away with doing multishot. Much more things outside the studio than people here obviously realize. I might just try one of these days to shoot a glass of beer multishot if only to see how much is really affected by movement.  OTOH, there have been reports of people that saw multishot takes go haywire because of heated air by air condition and heaters. Yes, the main usage is obviously for studio still shooters but multishot is much more versatile than some people here give it credit for.

Not sure what you mean with there is no 200MS? You can do 50MS with 4 shots (actually 5) and 200MS with 6 shots (my guess is that that will be actually 7).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 11:15:46 am by Dustbak »

ctz

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 11:30:47 am »

Of course there is, but naming it mentioning 200 instead of 50 is a bit too much (marketing).
In the end there's still is 50Mpx one shot, 200Mpx multishot, just as the previous 50MS.

TechTalk

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 12:48:51 pm »

What's the big difference then between 50ms and 200ms?

150 (200 million pixels - 50 million pixels = 150 million pixels)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:06:48 pm by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

ctz

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 12:52:16 pm »

;)))
yeah, that's right!

design_freak

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 01:08:18 pm »

Yes! The multishot module has always made the backs thicker than their single shot brethren. This means you have to press your face harder on the body to see properly through the viewfinder. This is definitely something that lessens usability. Especially for left-eye'd people this can be annoying however you learn to live with it (I am a left-eye'd owner of a MS back).
We can even learn to live without a leg ... But it's not the point ...
Like a small thing, but it makes the camera seems to be underdeveloped. It is a pity, because it's really cool equipment.
Best regards,
DF

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 01:15:33 pm »

We can even learn to live without a leg ... But it's not the point ...
Like a small thing, but it makes the camera seems to be underdeveloped. It is a pity, because it's really cool equipment.

Hmmm..... choosing between a viewfinder being slightly too short to be completely comfortable or loosing a leg....?! Yeah. That is a really tough one...

design_freak

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 01:27:53 pm »

Hmmm..... choosing between a viewfinder being slightly too short to be completely comfortable or loosing a leg....?! Yeah. That is a really tough one...

OK, you have right  :-) Maybe it was not the best comparison. But you know what I mean.
These two centimeters, in this case really makes significant difference.
I believe that the refinement of detail is not difficult. And easy to fix. This will facilitate the lives of many photographers, also all users of the left ocular.
Best regards,
DF
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up