Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: River Etive & Lochan Urr - Scottish Highlands  (Read 2811 times)

DuncanAndison

• http://www.takenfromthetop.com/
River Etive & Lochan Urr - Scottish Highlands
« on: May 29, 2011, 02:44:30 pm »

Looking down from the summit of Stob Dubh towards River Etive and Lochan Urr in the the North West Highlands of Scotland. The clouds lifted just long enough to grab this shot before we made our way back down towards River Etive.

Click on image for larger version

Thanks for looking

Duncan

Canon 5d mkii - 17-40L @ 17mm - ISO 200 - f/16 - 1/80th sec - Handheld

churly

Re: River Etive & Lochan Urr - Scottish Highlands
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 06:24:07 am »

Duncan - I've come back to look at this shot a couple of times.  I like the light and the mood but to me, this is one of those shots in which the placement of the elements produces an uncomfortable feeling of distortion like an optical illusion.  I've seen this in other wide-angle shots occasionally.  I'm wondering if it is just the way my brain interprets the elements or if others feel this way as well.
Chuck Hurich

DuncanAndison

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 04:06:06 pm »

Thanks for the feedback Churly.

This is one of those shots where the terrain drops away very quickly and the angles of the ridges left and right help exaggerate that. Lens correction filter was used in photoshop to correct the distortion from the 17-40 lens so I guess I can only put it down to optical illusion  ;D

Edit.... more worryingly, I just noticed I had already posted this! A senior moment I do believe  ???
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 04:10:09 pm by DuncanAndison »

churly

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 04:44:33 pm »

Duncan - As no one else has made the same observation you should take my comments with a grain of salt.  But yes I wasn't talking about lens distortion just the way I see the elements.

By the way - your web site is very nicely designed and the images outstanding.
Chuck Hurich

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 06:41:56 pm »

This is a great photo. The winding river in the distance is the icing on the cake. The snow in the foreground and the clouds in the distance provide a lovely visual balance, and the overall impression is one of barren wilderness tempered by beauty. Bravo!

llcopperworth

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:08:27 am »

I am in awe, what a stunning picture. I assume that you hiked up there did you. Very impressive. Tell me, where abouts did you stay while you were there, can you recommend anywhere?
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not. - Mark Twain

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 12:40:01 pm »

The angle makes one feel as if they in are in a glider making a low pass.

Must have been a splendid hike!

DuncanAndison

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 04:45:59 pm »

Duncan - As no one else has made the same observation you should take my comments with a grain of salt.  But yes I wasn't talking about lens distortion just the way I see the elements.

By the way - your web site is very nicely designed and the images outstanding.

No problem and thanks.... the website is still a work in development but it's getting there  ;D

This is a great photo. The winding river in the distance is the icing on the cake. The snow in the foreground and the clouds in the distance provide a lovely visual balance, and the overall impression is one of barren wilderness tempered by beauty. Bravo!

Thank you..... "barren wilderness tempered by beauty" that sums up Scottish Highlands in winter.... love the place!

I am in awe, what a stunning picture. I assume that you hiked up there did you. Very impressive. Tell me, where abouts did you stay while you were there, can you recommend anywhere?

We stayed in a little place called Trango 2 by Mountain Hardware  ;D When staying in Scotland in the winter we tend to wild camp as we can get exactly where we want to be instead of traveling around to get to where you want to be.... it's also very peaceful!

The angle makes one feel as if they in are in a glider making a low pass.

Must have been a splendid hike!

Thank you, it was indeed.... nothing like being out in the hills in winter!!

llcopperworth

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 06:37:41 am »

No problem and thanks.... the website is still a work in development but it's getting there  ;D

Thank you..... "barren wilderness tempered by beauty" that sums up Scottish Highlands in winter.... love the place!

We stayed in a little place called Trango 2 by Mountain Hardware  ;D When staying in Scotland in the winter we tend to wild camp as we can get exactly where we want to be instead of traveling around to get to where you want to be.... it's also very peaceful!

Thank you, it was indeed.... nothing like being out in the hills in winter!!

Thanks a lot. I will try and go some time soon, next time I travel over to the UK
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not. - Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up