Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Salt of the Earth  (Read 4293 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Salt of the Earth
« on: May 27, 2011, 02:33:09 pm »

From my photo essay Salt of the Earth.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Salt of the Earth
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:01:37 pm »

Interesting perspective!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

francois

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 05:31:15 am »

I like it, a bit mysterious. The repetition is interesting and the B/W is well suited here.
Francois

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 09:00:28 am »

First I want to say its always a pleasure for me to watch your work, and this is another great image.
That said, and maybe being nitpicking I find the bokeh not all too pleasant. No idea if it comes from postprocessing or the lens, but - though its an interesting composition, I find it not perfect.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 10:11:49 am »

Thank you, all, for the comments.

First I want to say its always a pleasure for me to watch your work, and this is another great image.
That said, and maybe being nitpicking I find the bokeh not all too pleasant. No idea if it comes from postprocessing or the lens, but - though its an interesting composition, I find it not perfect.

Christoph,

The thought about the slightly jarring bokeh did occur to me.  It is not a post-processing artifact.  The shot was taken at f/1.2.  I wonder if in this situation the Zeiss 100 MP would have rendered a more pleasing bokeh at f/2.

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 12:16:00 pm »

The quality of bokeh is a subjective thing.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 12:18:41 pm »

The quality of bokeh is a subjective thing.
So what?
If you find the bokeh gorgeous you're free to write that ...

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 01:11:41 pm »

So what?
If you find the bokeh gorgeous you're free to write that ...

I never said, I liked it.  That's not my point at all.  You impugn the OP's photo, because of your own subjective opinion and not something constructive that could been changed.  It's not at all a productive way to provide feedback on the photograph.  

Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it's without merit and conversely just because you like something doesn't mean it has merit. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:15:37 pm by Lonnie Utah »

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 01:31:06 pm »

I never said, I liked it.  That's not my point at all.  You impugn the OP's photo, because of your own subjective opinion and not something constructive that could been changed.  It's not at all a productive way to provide feedback on the photograph.  
Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it's without merit and conversely just because you like something doesn't mean it has merit.  

Sorry, I can't agree here.
Rajan makes gorgeous photographs, and I believe he strives for excellence.
And I don't believe he's the type of person who wants to be flattered.
And if I as one person of many who see this image have the impression something could be better, of course I am free to write that.
Others can write their own opinion.
And if you read Rajans answer you see the bokeh has concerned him as well, so my criticism was not at all off the mark.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:33:22 pm by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 01:41:01 pm »

You still don't get it do you.  

Your comments on the photograph were subjective in nature.  They were just your opinion.  What YOU liked or or didn't like.  They have ZERO to do with the actual quality or merit of the photograph.  Please try to understand the difference.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 01:43:13 pm »

Your comments on the photograph were subjective in nature.  They were just your opinion.  What YOU liked or or didn't like.  They have ZERO to do with the actual quality or merit of the photograph.  Please try to understand the difference.

If you have a problem with subjective judgements, I believe art is not for you.

And with that I'm out of the discussion, I feel Rajans thread is pretty much abused now.
Sorry Rajan, I didn't want this to happen.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:45:09 pm by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 01:47:08 pm »

Rajan

Your photo-essay on the salt pans and salt harvest is really excellent, and truly educational. The photo that you posted at the top of this thread is mysterious and drew me into the topic. As an archaeologist this interests me greatly, because although sea-salt is made in only a very few places in Britain now (Maldon being one), in prehistory this was done all around our coasts. In Cornwall we have salt-making sites dating from the Roman period (around 150 AD).

The people of Goa should be proud of their salt and sell it to the world.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 01:55:40 pm »

Your comments on the photograph were subjective in nature.  They were just your opinion.  What YOU liked or or didn't like.  They have ZERO to do with the actual quality or merit of the photograph.  Please try to understand the difference.

That is truly hilarious!!! So who is to say objectively (!?) what is the actual quality or merit!!!???

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 01:56:09 pm »

If you have a problem with subjective judgements, I believe art is not for you.

Again that's not the point.  Just state opinions as opinions and technical bits as technical.  

Bokeh is one of those things that is subjective in nature but has been played off as technical.  It's not.  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:05:25 pm by Lonnie Utah »

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 01:57:15 pm »

So who is to say objectively (!?) what is the actual quality or merit!!!???

That my friend IS the point and the answer is none of us....

edit:  The above is speaking for an artistic point of view.  There are technical quality issues that do come into play that are not subjective, things like precise focus, depth of field, noise, etc.  As I mentioned above, bokhe often gets lumped in with these and it shouldn't.  It's a subjective thing.  

A photograph can be technically perfect and have no "artistic merit" (if there is such a thing) and vice versa...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:06:03 pm by Lonnie Utah »
Pages: [1]   Go Up