Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 80mm Zeiss Planar vs. Schneider 80mm AF  (Read 3663 times)

tikal

• Kahl Sutherland Studio
80mm Zeiss Planar vs. Schneider 80mm AF
« on: May 27, 2011, 01:53:49 pm »

I can't find much information on this so that's why I thought I'd ask some people with experience. I won't be using the AF very much for now. Given the large price difference between the two is there a large difference in image quality, colour rendition etc of these two lenses? I found a zeiss for 600$us but I might wait to buy a new Schneider AF-Xenotar PQS 2.8/80 mm if it's worth it. What are your opinions? I shoot mostly portraits and I take my time, I am looking for differences unrelated to AF/no-AF. Also I am aware of shutter speed and flash sync differences.

Thank you.

dergiman

• http://www.philippderganz.com
Re: 80mm Zeiss Planar vs. Schneider 80mm AF
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 02:15:49 pm »

I have the Schneider 80AF PQS and it is really sharp, i mean really sharp. At normal shooting distances it is sharper than my Zeiss 120mm Makro-Planar PQS. Bokeh is really nice too, even when stopped down. You can´t go wrong with this lens, the 1/1000 sec of the PQS is really useful if you want to shoot at f2.8 outside.
Philipp Derganz Photography
www.philippderganz.com
Architektur Photo
Wien, Austria

tikal

• Kahl Sutherland Studio
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 03:32:51 pm »

Thanks, I found some MTF charts I'm looking at now. I do agree on the PQS, I think I might just wait. resell value should also be considered as well I guess!

narikin

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:25:17 am »

might I ask which camera you are using this on?

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:34:42 am »

I believe Rollei made their own 80mm lens, not Zeiss. Perhaps that's the one you are referring to? I have the PQS version and it's a wonderful lens. I'll try and find a link with this info.

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 06:37:09 pm »

I've owned them both, albeit on different platforms.

In general, I've found the Zeiss' tend to render a slightly contrastier image, while the Schneiders deliver a gentler, less aggressive image.  Both are superb.

If you're choosing between these lenses on a Rollei system, know that the Schneider is available in AF, or as a manual focus f/2, if you want to go fast.   Choices, choices!  ;)
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 08:00:28 pm »

I had both the zeiss planar 80mm PQ and the schneider xenotar 80mm PQS for the rollei platform.  I can't say there is a lot of difference in sharpness between the two.  The differences really are in the bokeh - with the zeiss rendering a doublet on hard edged things where the schneider did not.    Both lenses are excellent and the bokeh is more of a preference thing.   

Can't say about the zeiss, since I didn't keep it but the schneider makes a very good macro lens and performs as well for close up work as it does infinity.

Rolleiflex USA

tikal

• Kahl Sutherland Studio
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 12:42:30 am »

Thanks guys, I'm using a hy6 btw. Looking at some i-TTL options as well, but I think I'll get pocket wizards and a lightmeter for my work. I am using a 6060 film back as well. Your information is very helpful, especially on the bokeh. I am planning to use Manual Focus mostly so I have decided on the Schneider PQS. Again guys your input is helpful. Graham I found the MTF charts but not much else! thanks. didn't think of going f/2 either bradley thanks!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:13:21 am by tikal »
Pages: [1]   Go Up