Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Stylus Pro 7890 / 9890 for relatively low volume printing?  (Read 3779 times)

tom_1973

Hi,

I am planning to buy an Epson 7890 or 9890 'just for fun' private use.
I have around 100-150 top photos that I would like to print at minimum 90x60cm and mount them myself on different media.
I also would like to do some experiments with artwork, different media and b/w that I wouldn't do if I just develop the posters somewhere else.
I also plan to have fun in printing my own stuff rather than waiting for the postman.
Later I plan to sell some of my prints which might fail.

Developing/printing is horribly expensive here that I think that the investment for the 7890 will already pay off
after 150 large prints including paper and ink.
I heard that I need around 15ml ink in average over all ink tanks for a 90x60cm print.
Currently the printer is coming with a 3 year warranty. So after 3 years I will have the prints that otherwise would cost me
around 150 * 40$ and still have the printer that most probably can be sold for half price if I want.

Now my question:

Because I plan to print a rather low volume, let's say 5-10 posters every second weekend will I get problems
with clogging and waste of ink for cleaning? I think I will not print during the week and not every weekend.

Will I get problems or is it just a crazy investment? I don't mind if my calculation is a little bit wrong but
I don't want to loose 100ml for cleaning or mess around with clogging everytime I print something..

Thanks for your response...

deanwork

Re: Epson Stylus Pro 7890 / 9890 for relatively low volume printing?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 01:06:44 pm »

Sounds like a good investment to me. If I were you I would just print out at least the nozzle check pattern every day. Better yet would be set up a color target containing all the colors, like the Atkinson print test target, and print that out everyday like in letter size. That also insures you are moving the black and gray inks through the system regularly. It keeps the inks flowing through the heads, lines, and dampers and is a smart thing to do. That will actually save you ink money in the long term.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 04:07:47 pm »

I've got a studio full of Epson printers, 4000, 7600, 9800, 9900, 3880, and go out for one to four weeks at a time, simply turning off the printers when I'm gone.

Sometimes, I've got to run a cleaning cycle, other times, it's as though I printed yesterday.

If you are using non-fine-art or canvas to print upon, you'll probably have less dust and lint clogging the heads.

Usually, when I get home and start printing after an absence, I simply run a nozzle check and if it's good, start printing. Usually, I have a slight gab in one-two colors and then need to run a cleaning cycle.

The main issues for print and leave is probably every few months to pull the carts, shake them and reinstall, along with doing a nozzle check at the start of your printing sessions.

Usually, in my experience, you'll simply need to run a check and then you'll be sure that the images will print fine.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

tom_1973

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 04:54:29 pm »

Thanks so far.
So my low volume doesn't seem to be a problem.

I know there are many other threads, but if I just focus on reliability and low maintenance costs, e.g. clogging, any other recommendations like Canon iPF8300 or HP?
I think all of them provide print quality that is sufficient for me.

stpf8

• Stephen Penland Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:49:01 pm »

I have an Epson 3880, and I'm absolutely amazed at how long it can go (3+ months) without being used in this relatively dry climate of eastern Washington, yet it will start up and print flawlessly after that length of time.  I've done this twice, and I'm impressed.  I think (but I'm not sure) the 7890 and 9890 uses the same ink.  I wouldn't even think about it if I were printing, say, once a month -- at least, that's been my experience.
Stephen Penland
www.stephenpenland.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 09:20:06 pm »

Don't kid yourself with that "occasional use" thing.  You're hooked, and we can all see it!  :)

Place that order, and don't delay!

But be careful, steps like that can lead to a life of inkjet printing.  Mammas don't let your babies grow up to be printer operators.

Also, get 44" model.  Just sayin'.

Pages: [1]   Go Up