Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: canvas presentation question  (Read 764 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
canvas presentation question
« on: May 27, 2011, 10:46:02 am »

Hi everyone,
   I've got a project that will have me producing a small pile of 5x7 canvases. this is phase one of the project and more will be added. the idea is ultimately to have quite a collage of images, all 5x7 and in canvas. Because my clients are awesome they've given me say in how exactly I make these things, they just want canvas. I'm feeling like I really want to do 2" deep so they're fun little boxes that stand out. here's my question/thought - 5x7 seems like it would be a massive pain to stretch as there's just not a lot to hold on to. I'm thinking about a couple of different options and wonder what you think from both an aestetic and longevity perspective:

option one - traditional stretcher frame and hope I can operate fingers/stapler/canvas in the small space
option 2 - build solid boxes from wood and laminate to the box
option 3 - do something more like breathing color's Canvox. they don't sell 5x7, but i can get frames that give a similar effect.
option 4 - your suggestion?

I've got 9 to produce as a sample and more from there so a little time savings is nice, but any process can be learned and made efficient-ish
thanks!
Mark

mikev1

Re: canvas presentation question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 12:22:01 pm »

Try one, you might find 2" a little boxy but maybe that is what you are going for.
You will find yourself tripping over your fingers at that size.  I'd stretch by hand, forget the canvas pliers.

I'd put 1 staple dead center on each long side and then pre-fold and cut the corners before using more staples.

You will want as little excess canvas as possible to make life easier.

Mike

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
Re: canvas presentation question
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 12:29:05 pm »

yeah Mike, I'm figuring that even w/o pliers it'll be hard not to integrate my hand in the presentation. I definitely want boxy. The goal is to have a whole big grid of these where it will make more sense to stick them further off the wall. I'm half tempted to try one or two with the corners sandwiched like you'd get with an igwarppe (canvas between the wood corners) so as not to have a big lump in the little box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up