Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bugs  (Read 2597 times)

tq-g

Bugs
« on: May 27, 2011, 04:32:01 am »

I have recieved many positive comments on this one. At first I was a little lukewarm to it, but it just keeps growing on me. The whole picture was so random, but I think it turned out pretty well anyway...

I was just going to experiment with the settings on the camera, so I went out in my garden to find something nice enough to shoot. While I was shooting this flower I noticed a little bug crawling around in there. I tried to have it perform some tricks for me when I noticed on the leaf beside it another one.

Now, if I could just get them in the right moment...

One might thínk that the communication and directing of the bugs is the hardest part. After all, they have tiny little brains and a limited capacity for language. The difficult part though was just getting something in focus, and within the picture frame. I only have a 60mm macro lens so I had to get real darn close here. The slightest movement and the focus was off. Add to that random gusts of wind and trying to maintain a steady hand while crawling around in a rather uncomfortable position.

This was the only one of the around 300 shots that worked. I think I got lucky. What do you think?

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re: Bugs
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 06:11:08 am »

I think this is a very nice Macro shot.
A tiny bit more DOF might have improved it, but I like it as it is.

stamper

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 08:17:56 am »

After all, they have tiny little brains and a limited capacity for language.

Unquote

They would be at home on this forum? ;) ;D A very good effort on you part to get anything that is pleasing. A lens with a longer focal length would have given you less DOF. What was your aperture and focal length?

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 09:46:28 am »

After all, they have tiny little brains and a limited capacity for language.

Unquote

They would be at home on this forum? ;) ;D A very good effort on you part to get anything that is pleasing. A lens with a longer focal length would have given you less DOF. What was your aperture and focal length?

Here we go again!

:-)

Rob C

tq-g

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 09:58:47 am »

Thanks!

I agree with you about the DOF. I would have liked just a little bit more DOF and a little sharper focus.

The lens I used was a Nikon AF-S 60mm 2.8 at f/3.3 aperture.

popnfresh

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 02:18:01 pm »

This is more than mere luck. Macro bug shots usually leave me cold, but this one is terrific. The composition works well and I love how the colors pop. A tad more DOF would have been nice, but it doesn't really bother me the way it is. Good work! The only quibble I have is the signature. I'm not a big fan of putting signatures in an image, but that's just me.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 02:24:58 pm by popnfresh »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 03:02:45 pm »

I think this is a very nice Macro shot.
A tiny bit more DOF might have improved it, but I like it as it is.

I agree!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

tq-g

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 08:38:45 am »

Thanks guys!

I like to think that, regarding luk, that I atleast managed to stack the odds a little more in my favor. :)

I'm afraid the signature is meant to be annoying. I don't normally sign my pictures but this one i'm particularly happy with, and the little space there in the corner lends itself well for a little scribble. What I mean is, should anyone wish to use it without my permission, it's atleast a bit annoying to get rid of.

stamper

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 10:19:53 am »

A crop would take a few seconds without spoiling the image. ;)

tq-g

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 03:01:35 pm »

Oh dear, no! It may not completely ruin it, but what an awful thing to do! :(

stamper

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 04:10:54 am »

Oh dear, no! It may not completely ruin it, but what an awful thing to do! :(

Imo people ruin their images with signatures. Okay if you want your name to be seen as the originator but to try and stop someone "stealing" the image then it is a waste of time? ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up