Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glue for polypropylene  (Read 1735 times)

dennmorr

Glue for polypropylene
« on: May 26, 2011, 11:16:54 pm »

I am trying to get Canon  Durable Polypropylene to adhere to luan plywood.
 Any suggestions?
Dennis Morris

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Glue for polypropylene
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 11:57:11 pm »

You probably want a solvent based adhesive of some kind, maybe contact cement or even good old Scotch 77 Multipurpose Spray Adhesive (I did not say that).  Roll the print up on a tube, coat the luan with glue, then when the glue is starting to get tacky roll out the print.  Experiment first.  It's best if the media overhangs the sides a bit to avoid picking up glue onto the face of the media.  Trim the print with a knife when it's fully patted down.

Probably things would be easier if you printed on an adhesive-backed media to start with.  I think HP and Lexjet and etc has some pressure sensitive polypro that can be positioned then pressed down.

BTW none of these solutions or media is going to be very long lived.

PS, I bet you're mounting photos on hollow-core doors!   Been there, done that.  :)

dennmorr

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 01:34:36 am »

Bill,
Thanks-Actually- I'm making my own campaign signs on my Epson 7600-I'm running for County Judge. I 'd be curious if there is a better backing material.
Dennis Morris

bill t.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 02:06:43 am »

The cheapest more or less acceptable backing material would probably be 1/8" Masonite.  Roughly $10 for a 4x8 sheet a Lowes, etc.  In theory they will cut up a sheet for you either for free or for a nominal charge.  It helps to be really pleasant when you ask for cuts, the worker bees don't like doing it.   It's rather dark and can dull down the light colors in semi-transparent media.  It's also really heavy, which actually might be an advantage in a windy area. Needs a power saw to cut and the sawdust is pretty obnoxious.

There's a very lightweight sign material called Colorplast which is just like corrugated cardboard sheet, except made out of waterproof plastic materials.  More expense than Masonite, but easier to handle and very easy to cut with just a utility knife.  Plastic suppliers like Piedmont Plastics will have it.  Have seen lots of campaign signs made out of this material.  Not sure how Colorplast would respond to solvent glues like Scotch 77, it might melt so do a test first.  Up from Colorplast is Sintra, much more expensive.

I just checked http://www.foamboardsource.com/sintra-pvc-foam.html and they mention that there are self-adhesive versions of Colorplast and Sintra.  Those would probably be the best option, applying solvent adhesives is just no fun at all.  Their pricing seems way over the top, and you will probably get stuck for a $100+ freight minimum.  Things that size can only ship freight.  Would try calling local plastic suppliers first, most of them will deliver for free.

stretchdcanvas

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 07:21:37 am »

Have you tried Coroplast?

Not as rigid as wood but it'll take the media better than luan and it's probably cheaper.

bill t.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 12:27:50 pm »

Sorry, I was writing "Colorplast" when I meant "Coroplast."

Most of the campaign signs made from this stuff are silk-screened or printed with specialty industrial inkjet printers.  Could easily be cheaper than banging things out on the 7600.  These guys will do 250 18x24's on what sounds like Coroplast for $589.00, stakes included.

Darrel

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 12:37:59 pm »

PS, I bet you're mounting photos on hollow-core doors!   Been there, done that.  :)

Funny you should say this.  I have been to 2 malls in major cities where they where selling "triptychs".  These appear to be hollow core doors approx 24x24 in assorted dimensions.  I asked if they were printing on vinyl, but they said PVC, it has a very fine canvas "like" texture.  The images did not have any fine detail, almost blurry, poor gamut, and some images even had significant banding.  Of course these are probably all made in China.

bill t.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 03:06:39 pm »

Those things are mostly gallery wraps using the cheesiest imaginable materials.  I have seen examples of canvas wrapped around big chunks of insulation type foam, and "stretcher bar frames" that were essentially corrugated cardboard boxes.  They're bringing it in by the boatload, and there are even some large operations here in the US making the same schlock.  Target, Wal-Mart, Kmart, and various other fine retailers are starting to carry them at stunningly low prices, and of course ebay overfloweth.  You can even order them direct from China with the copyright-violating images of your choice, just send them the URL.

Has influenced me to completely drop gallery wrapping in favor of framed canvas.  I think it's important to distance myself from that newly de classe look.  "Oh yeah, we saw some things just like yours down at Wal-Mart!  But they didn't cost this much."
Pages: [1]   Go Up