Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645d RAW File and Converter Questions  (Read 4381 times)

nickhp

Pentax 645d RAW File and Converter Questions
« on: May 26, 2011, 11:05:23 pm »

Hi, new member here.  

I just joined because I can't find any information on the best RAW set up to use with this camera.  

Is PEF better than DNG, or vice versa?  Was trying to find out if one had any benefit over the other.

Also, what is the best RAW converter for 645d files?  I am a long time Capture One user and hate the fact that it doesn't support the 645d.  I know this might be somewhat subjective, but when I say "best" converter I am talking about image quality which is the most important thing to me.  Again, is there a "magic" file type (pef/dng) to go with a converter that equals the best image quality?

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions but I appreciate any inputs people can provide.

Regards,

Nick

deejjjaaaa

Re: Pentax 645d RAW File and Converter Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 08:04:23 pm »

Is PEF better than DNG, or vice versa?  

well, for example, putting Pentax 645D aside, Capture One does not fully support native (not converted - native ones) in-camera DNG raw files for Pentax dSLR cameras... that alone simply makes in camera DNG a no go for me (for example)... plus, if you shoot PEF, you can always use a native OEM software (Pentax DCU, not Adobe DNG converter) to create DNG files (as the camera maker wants it to be done - not as Adobe thinks it should be done, making that closer to native DNG raw instead of converted DNG raw) if necessary, but there is nothing that can make PEF out of DNG so far... so PEF is a much safer bet...

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 03:24:21 am »

Rather than asking what *should* be better, why not run some tests and see which results *you* prefer? That's all that matters at the end of the day.

DandA

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 09:42:36 am »

Rather than asking what *should* be better, why not run some tests and see which results *you* prefer? That's all that matters at the end of the day.

Yes, excellent suggestion!  A number of years ago when shooting 35mm Pentax DSLR's, I compared PEF's processed in the Pentax provided Silkypix vs. DNG's in Photoshop.  I felt the PEF files were superior at the time but becuase my shoots often require me to process well over 500-1000 files, Silkypix processed way to slow to make this a reality and RAW processor of choice.  With Nikon 35mm DSLR's, I also felt Nikon's Capture had an advanatge over Photoshop, but then again it's processing speed with large # of NEF's was not viable (in my case).  With the Pentax 645D I felt Photoshop had progressed to the point of making it competitive with other RAW processsors for 645D RAW fies and although shooting PEF's with that camera may have some slight advantage (especially with some files) I haven't seen any consistant evidence thats this is a universal "given" regardless of RAW processor used...although that might turn out to be the case. I do know Photoshop does provide lens correction for many of the Pentax FA af lenses.

Dave (DandA)

nickhp

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 12:12:41 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Am going on a vacation and taking the 645d with me.  The question about the RAW file format - I was planning on shooting PEF and converting to DNG, thought there were some differences between these and files actually shot as DNG in the first place.  Sounds like PEF is the way to go though...

As for converters, I was trying to gauge if there is a clear "top choice" for processing, which it doesn't sound like there is.  Having been in the Capture One bubble for so long I feel somewhat lost having to step outside!  I think I will probably give lightroom a try as well as the Pentax software (based on Silkypix if I am not mistaken).  I understand completely about experimenting.  Of course the other nice thing about RAW files is that a year or two down the road someone might come out with even better software and it will allow us to go back and work new magic on the old files.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up