Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Aptus 12, Canon 5D2, Hasselblad CFii-39MS, and Phase p20 Comparison images  (Read 14074 times)

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com

I recently tested various backs from Leaf, Sinar and Hasselblad against my trusted Leaf Aptus 65.

I really couldn't see much difference between them, they are all so bloody good that I would be happy to own any of them! If you are new to camera backs, you will have great difficulty in deciding and your decision could be made on points such as practicality, a good demo, whether you like and believe what the rep says, whether you like the software and so on, rather than the ultimate quality.

The vital is to know what to look for and regrettably that is not that obvious in marketing from the MFDB makers or from reviews, e.g. as published here on LuLa. In my personal experience a demo gives very little apart from the feeling of handling the back, same as a test drive of a BMW 5 or Mercedes gives little without knowing or understanding the differences between the characters, performance and handling of these cars. The essential in my view is to prior any testing knowing what key characters differ between different backs, and which helps narrow down and see what really differs between them, and in particular so during test driving raw files, perhaps with images captured with our own set of conditions or of captures similar to our own shooting and critical conditions.

I have had the Aptus 65 which is an excellent back. The Aptus-II 10 apart from more pixels appear to me to add slight more DR and improved color performance. On other hand I find the Aptus-II 12 files to apart from pixels be a larger step from the Aptus-II 10 than that was from Aptus 65 in improvements in color profiles, DR, and the fine gradations of colors. Yair was kind to pin point me towards this, but I experienced the improvements with the Aptus-II 12 as larger than he described. It is important though to draw our own conclusions per our own test drives. Small size images do as much justice to a back as photos in a Motor Trend do of the handling of a Porsche or BMW on a twisty road...

And no, pixels apart, no DSLR measure up in optimum image quality at low ISO.

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:50:18 am by Anders_HK »

baudolino

What I'd like to see is a big square sensor 56mm x 56mm with 9um pixels, CMOS or CDD, that had higher DR.   Of course I am probably dreaming!

Yes, I'd like this one too, exactly as described, with a Hy6 / Hassy V swappable mount. Hasselblad has reasons not to make it, it seems; Sinar what are you waiting for all the time???

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years

Sinar what are you waiting for all the time???

The sensor does not exist, that's the problem. And is not likely to, either, given the tiny demand there would be for it. You would be looking at a price way in excess of the Dalsa 80MP.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up