Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie in MF ... Question please...  (Read 1245 times)

paul25

Newbie in MF ... Question please...
« on: May 24, 2011, 08:01:06 pm »

I have always liked Contax glasses, so I bought Contax 645 and 4 lenses without much research... I Know...my bad...
I was hoping to get P25 or P25+ for the system.
Well.. I think I'm bit late to find out that they are all discontinued...the system and the back.
I already bought 35, 55, 80, and 120.....:(

The question is.... Should I change to H mount system or is this another bad move...?
BTW, I'd like to use film as well...

Canon 1Ds Mk II, 200/1.8L
Leica M240 Lei

RobertJ

Re: Newbie in MF ... Question please...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 08:49:28 pm »

Actually, although Contax no longer exists, the newest digital backs are still available in a Contax 645 mount.

So you can get an newer back or look for a used P25 or Leaf/Sinar/Hassy equivalent.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 09:12:33 pm »

I have always liked Contax glasses, so I bought Contax 645 and 4 lenses without much research... I Know...my bad...
I was hoping to get P25 or P25+ for the system.
Well.. I think I'm bit late to find out that they are all discontinued...the system and the back.
I already bought 35, 55, 80, and 120.....:(

The question is.... Should I change to H mount system or is this another bad move...?

I'd be more concerned that the Contax is discontinued than that the P25/P25+ is discontinued. But you should probably back up a step to prevent yourself from going to far down a road that's not right for you. Were you thinking a P25/P25+ because you think it's the right back for your needs or because of the price?

A variety of backs are made for the Contax. (Nearly) every model of Leaf and Phase One (which - bias alert - my company sells) and several options from Sinar and Hasselblad. If you can tell the forum a bit about what you shoot subject wise, where you live or travel, what cameras you love and why (tells us a bit about your style shooting and personality) and what your approximate budget range are I think you'll get good advice as to which backs to look at. My golden rule is to narrow down what options are right for you and then look for a good deal (including base price, accessories, support, training, warranty, etc) on that equipment.

We have a 65+ Contax listed and with the IQ series shipping we will have a variety of Contax backs coming in that we can refurbish, warranty, and sell with new accessories. To be fair, there are other good dealers around the world (and some not so good dealers) who could also assit you in your search. Their full time job is to help photographers, many (most?) of whom do not have medium format experience find the right option for them, and then help them learn and support them on the equipment and software to get the most out of that option.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

paul25

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 10:48:45 pm »

Thank you all for kind words...
Doug... I'd love to try the newer/ higher mega pixel digital back, but my budget is pretty much limited to $5500~$6000.
I am not a pro...
This is my only hobby at this moment...:)
And, I'm finding out that it's getting very expensive one....:)

I opted for P25 or P25+, not only for budget reason, but because I heard that it has a less crop factor. (x1.1?)
I'd like to utilize the wide angle lenses I have...

I'd love to hear from you when you get those backs...
Perhaps, you can guide me to other options that I'm not aware of...:)
Canon 1Ds Mk II, 200/1.8L
Leica M240 Lei
Pages: [1]   Go Up