Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PSCS2 and Windows XP SP2  (Read 6103 times)

Gabe

PSCS2 and Windows XP SP2
« on: April 25, 2005, 04:50:59 pm »

Does anyone out there have experience with Windows XP Service Pack 2 - has it had any negative impact on any of your hardware or software functionality

I installed it a couple weeks ago when I built up a new system and haven't had anything to complain about so far (and trust me when I say I would complain ).

It turned on the firewall without asking, so I had to go switch that off (I've got a hardware firewall that suits me just fine). It also tried to convince me that the universe would collapse if I wanted to be in charge of handling system updates myself, but that was pretty easy to turn off as well.

Actually, if anything, it made switching off those features easier by centralising them all under the Windows World Critical System Threat Explosion Monitor Control Panel Advisor (or some such name).

I'd say you should go for it -- if not for CS2, maybe THIS will convince you it's a good idea....  :p

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
PSCS2 and Windows XP SP2
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 05:02:21 am »

I'm running PS-CS2 on my new Dell Precision 470 dual Xeon processor workstation with WinXP Pro SP2. Runs great!

I can't wait until I can upgrade to the 64 bit version of WinXP Pro to fully utilize my dual processors.

Bud
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
PSCS2 and Windows XP SP2
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 04:00:39 pm »

Firstly, I would like to thank the group of you who generously volunteered your time to respond to my enquiry. I am encouraged by the feedback I have received and it corroborates other feedback from other sources.

Daniel, I don't need to be lectured about computer security. I have two firewalls, the latest Norton AV/ASPW, all Windows XP up-dates except the Service Packs and Spybot on my machine. In fact the first onus of responsibility for network security is not with consumers but with the designers of system software and networks. The fact that they have been lax and remiss in respect of security has opened a field day for all kinds of malicious nonsense on the internet; so now they are in a rear-guard battle to get it under control - and yes it is in our interest to help them do so, but they too need to be responsible about it, and the rash of problems that erupted with SP 1 because Microsoft rushes software onto the marlet before exhaustively testing it creates the kind of malaise that I and many others feels every time we are confronted with yet another Microsoft "fix". That is why I was convassing for experience with SP2.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
PSCS2 and Windows XP SP2
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 03:58:03 pm »

I just took delivery of PSCS2 Upgrade and noticed to my horror that for Windows XP it requires either Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2. I have neither Service Pack because my system works OK without them and one learns to leave well enough alone (unless doing a major technology up-grade). Adobe confirmed to me by phone today that I do need one of these SPs to use PSCS2. So I am caught between a rock and a hard place: risk the OS up-grade or have no PS up-grade.

Does anyone out there have experience with Windows XP Service Pack 2 - has it had any negative impact on any of your hardware or software functionality. The main things I'm concerned about are my plug-ins (PK Sharpener Pro, Noise Ninja, Neat Image, Convert to B&W Pro), my Epson 4000 printer, Minolta Scan Elite 5400 film scanner and my HP business hardware (Scanjet 5400c scanner and Business Inkjet 2230). So anyone with any experience on any of these applications or machines - please let me know what to expect - good, bad or indifferent.

Thanks

Mark

creinhold

PSCS2 and Windows XP SP2
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 01:55:38 pm »

I would definitely move toward XP SP2.  The biggest issues I have seen to date with applications has to do with the firewall settings.  You shouldn't really have any problems with CS2 since CS2 is strictly an application that runs on the workstation only and not a client/server app.  I would also recommend keeping up with the latest patches from Microsoft.  SP2 also makes these easier by allowing you to automatically download and install which is the recommended setting.

61Dynamic

• http://
PSCS2 and Windows XP SP2
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 02:26:54 am »

I just took delivery of PSCS2 Upgrade and noticed to my horror that for Windows XP it requires either Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2. I have neither Service Pack because my system works OK without them and one learns to leave well enough alone (unless doing a major technology up-grade).
First off, you should not be horrified. Keeping up to date with security and bug fixes is basic maintenance and part of the responsability of owning a computer. It's people who don't perform basic maintenence and secure their systems that are the primary cause for most of the security issues on the net (no offence, that's just fact).

SP2 fixes some MAJOR security holes. The fact that you are even connecting to the net makes you vulnerable to what's out there.

I've installed SP2 on a few systems and have had no noteable issues. That's not to garantee that you won't experience bugs but as far as service packs go, this one has been the least problematic in my experience.

All in all, you should not have any issues. Like I said, it's been one of the most stable SPs to date and it fixes some MAJOR (theres that bold text agian) security holes.

If you have any issues with your printers/scanners simply re-install the drivers. If you see some seriously wacked out stuff, then uninstall the service pack, check you system for viruses and/or spyware and then try agian.

Your plug-ins should work just fine in CS2, I haven't had any issues with any of mine (PK Sharp, NN2, and couple others).

P.S. If it seems like I'm trying to scare you with the security thing, well.. you should be scared. If you value any of the information on that system, keeping up to date with security fixes is mandatory. No joke.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
PSCS2 and Windows XP SP2
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 04:02:10 pm »

Firstly, I would like to thank the group of you who generously volunteered your time to respond to my enquiry. I am encouraged by the feedback I have received and it corroborates other feedback from other sources.

Daniel, it isn't necessary to warn me about computer security. I have two firewalls, the latest Norton AV/ASPW, all Windows XP up-dates except the Service Packs and Spybot on my machine. In fact the first onus of responsibility for network security is not with consumers but with the designers of system software and networks. The fact that they have been lax and remiss in respect of security has opened a field day for all kinds of malicious nonsense on the internet; so now they are in a rear-guard battle to get it under control - and yes it is in our interest to help them do so, but they too need to be responsible about it, and the rash of problems that erupted with SP 1 because Microsoft rushes software onto the marlet before exhaustively testing it creates the kind of malaise that I and many others feels every time we are confronted with yet another Microsoft "fix". That is why I was convassing for experience with SP2.

Again, thanks to all of you. I shall most likely install it with the precuationary steps that have been advised. This is what these forums are so helpful about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up