Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 80mp - how much detail do you want? Leaf AFi-ii 12 plus 90mm apo macro  (Read 5972 times)

Graham Mitchell

Since the PSF for diffraction is known (Airy disc), does anyone know if the damage can be undone (or partially undone) with R-L deconvolution?

Funny... that was my first thought too

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA

Hi Bradley,

That should be no problem for R-L deconvolution. With these mild amounts of diffraction, even a Gaussian PSF will work quite well. However, one should be careful to not 'enhance' aliasing at the same time (the risk depends on subject matter and good focus).

Cheers,
Bart

Bart or others,
Any recommendations for R-L deconvolution software?  I'm on a Mac if that matters.  I'd be curious to try this out, and will share the results.
Eric
Rolleiflex USA

A.Garcia

RobertJ

Do any of the Schneider Digitar macro view camera lenses compare to the performance of this 90mm?

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA

Try Raw Developer

Thanks - just downloaded the demo...  here's what it looks like with radius of .75 which I narrowed down on quickly as at least near the best value.  Obviously there are other differences in the way the image is handled but I don't really know the software well enough yet to really make the rest look the same, however it does appear more detail is being extracted.  Why doesn't C1 or LR3 have this method? 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:30:14 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA

btw - should also mention that in this image I think LC  11.5 does a better job with the fine detail than does C1.

Rolleiflex USA

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Bart or others,
Any recommendations for R-L deconvolution software?  I'm on a Mac if that matters.  I'd be curious to try this out, and will share the results.

Hi Eric,

It is possible to process a TIFF with e.g. RawTherapee, which is freely available for a number of OS platforms. The Richardson Lucy deconvolution was already implemented in the older V2 (non-alpha V3) version, should a recent build not function. Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop ACR (which can open a TIFF as an ACR file) offers a form of deconvolution under the detail slider when set to maximum, and Photoshop's Smart sharpen filter, in advanced mode also uses a sort of deconvolution. I find the RL implementations to be more effective.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:41:01 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

A.Garcia

I think Leaf Capture renders finer detail in high contrast areas but it's a pain to work with.

Leaf Capture

C1

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:45:24 pm by A.Garcia »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA

Hi Eric,

It is possible to process a TIFF with e.g. RawTherapee, which is freely available for a number of OS platforms. The Richardson Lucy deconvolution was already implemented in the older V2 (non-alpha V3) version, should a recent build not function. Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop ACR (which can open a TIFF as an ACR file) offers a form of deconvolution under the detail slider when set to maximum, and Photoshop's Smart sharpen filter, in advanced mode also uses a sort of deconvolution. I find the RL implementations to be more effective.

Cheers,
Bart
Bart,
Thank you. I've downloaded the only build I found for Mac and it's certainly got a lot of promise, but I need to figure out how to make the most of the settings.  Besides the RL sharpening, the fine detail contrast slider is also bringing out more apparent detail.

Rolleiflex USA
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up