Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing/archiving strategy  (Read 2669 times)

Neil Folberg

• http://www.visiongallery.com
Importing/archiving strategy
« on: May 23, 2011, 04:37:31 pm »

Hello,

I have a system of folders arranged by date of shoot. I do not want the original files moved, ever - that way I can find them in my LR catalog. When I work on an image and export it, it will go to a file that's printed, in a psd or tiff format - and that will be stored on another hard disk.

Question: I want to have all my C1 sessions in one place, where I can see them all at once easily, and I want the raw images to stay where they were put in the first place. Is there no import option that leaves the file in its original folder?

Question2: DO I have to import a photo to work on it? It seems not ... so ...

Question 2: If I don't want to bother with the individual sessions, couldn't I just create a session titled "Workspace", work on images without importing them, save a new variant of that image, rename it perhaps, and then save that corrected copy to a selects folder in another central location with all my selects?

What I'm trying to get is a system of working with C1 to do initial image processing (which it does very well) in a way that does not disturb my archive/folder organization by date, and then use a cataloging system that will help me keyword, organize and locate files (LR).

Probably someone out there has this all worked out .... if so, thanks for your input.

Neil

Persio

Re: Importing/archiving strategy
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:02:54 pm »

Neil,

Question 1: You can have your RAW files in the folder of your choice. Capture One will read them from their original location (and will not further touch them); however, Capture One will automatically create a sub-folder (called CaptureOne) under your original source folder where it will keep its work files and the adjustments you made to your images. It has been much debated over the years but Capture One does NOT offer the option for the user to select the location of the CaptureOne folder. I believe this restricts your ability to have all your C1 sessions in one place.

Question 2: Once you download your images to your hard disk and store them in the directory of your choice, C1 will read the images and let you work on them. There is no need to "import" images.

Question 3: You do not need to bother with the individual sessions. Have C1 read your images from the source directory, work on them as you please and when your are satisfied with the adjustments, save you final image (JPG, TIFF, etc.) directly to your finished images folder. C1 allows you several options to rename your file during output.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Persio.

Neil Folberg

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 12:44:03 pm »

Hello Persio,

I much appreciate the time you took to answer my questions -

PERHAPS  I don't understand, but the problem with the sessions concept seems to be that I have to remember what my sessions were named, what they contained and where they are stored to get access to them.

This seems odd for digital information - that there is no easy way to index it - no?

So there is  no way to avoid using another cataloging system such as Lightroom ...

Neil

ario

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 11:26:03 pm »

Neil,
you don't need necessarely to use sessions, I don't.
I mainly use Lightroom to import, develop, catalog, print etc. and whenever I whish to develop/edit some pics with C1 I launch the same (raw) from inside LR using "Open Directly" by John Beardsworth.
I then export the edited TIFF files from C! into a LR watched folder, as described by Michel Reichman in LL, and in this way I get everithing back in my LR catalog.
May be there is a better way but this is what I do.
Cheers,
Ario

Neil Folberg

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:48:24 am »

Hello Ario,

That sounds pretty good to me Ario. Thanks for the tip  - I'll download a trial version of that software right now.

Best wishes,
Neil
Pages: [1]   Go Up