Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 1V next frame light leak when shooting sun  (Read 964 times)

Cineski

Canon 1V next frame light leak when shooting sun
« on: May 22, 2011, 08:11:30 pm »

Testing some cheap film stocks in my EOS 1V.  I was shooting a US flag with the sun behind and above the flag.  The sun was in the frame near the top (camera frame right then flip to portrait if that makes sense?).  Issue is there was some flaring on the next frame near where the sun was in the picture just described.  What could be causing this?  I need to test my other 1V to see if it does this.  Normal?  Issue?  Thoughts?  Edit:  I should note, this camera is in like new condition with very low mileage.

Gary Brook

Re: Canon 1V next frame light leak when shooting sun
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 02:03:08 am »

I don't know causing your problems, but you did talk about cheap film.  Two issues come to my mind, include 'piping' and the second 'trapping' the frame. 

If your film is cheap, it may pipe the light from the current frame into the next frame, in the cartridge, which would expose the front edge of the waiting frame, if you understand what I mean.  Preventing piping is one of the qualities of 'good' film, but I don't how that is done, but it is a design and manufacturing isues that you pay for it with quality film.  By the way, the cartridge could just be cheap through poor sealing for the film with poor 'felt', or synthetic 'lips'. 

The second issue could be that the new film may simply be thin, and the pressure plate may not hold the film in the place where the film stops on the rails, and leak the light to the next frame i.e top right image causing the bottom left frame on the film frame?  By the way, we're your exposures long, and were they compounding the film/gate/cartidge/seal issues?

Just some thoughts.  Good luck,

Gary.
Pages: [1]   Go Up