Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hebrides, Scotland, any advice?  (Read 9991 times)

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
Re: Hebrides, Scotland, any advice?
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 06:28:58 am »

I'm bombing up to the Ullapool area on Wednesday since the weather's improving after prolonged rain and high wind. Idea is 3 days around Coigach, Suilven, Lochinver, staying at Rhue, and 3 days in The Great Wilderness and An Teallach, staying at Dundonnell. The round trip flight (London-Inverness) and 6 days car hire cost £249 with Easyjet.

I'd be happy to meet any snappers who may be around.

llcopperworth

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 09:00:56 am »

I second IanP's advice and excellent itinerary. Your time is better spent in the Highlands and Islands than round Inverness.

On car rental from Inverness Airport: I've had good experience with Hertz there, but try booking the car over the internet without registering any Hertz Gold membership or other preferential treatment. The preferential treatment gets you twice the rate compared with a punter who appears to their algorithm to be shopping around. Last time I got a 4-door Kia Diesel for £110 for 5 days all-in, > 450 miles per tank, which is a great advantage away from civilization.

Here's a few recent shots of the Lewis ferry at Ullapool and traveling to Stornaway. More of the area north of Ullapool.

Those pictures are really fantastic, really dramatic. I love staying in that part of the world. So striking. I have recently started to trace my family history. I have discovered I have ancestors from Lewis Island. Its really exciting and I'm heading out there in July! I can hardly wait
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:18:00 am by llcopperworth »
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not. - Mark Twain

Ray R

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 04:21:09 pm »

In response to the midge problem, there are lots of repellents (but few seem to work), I have had Avon, Skin So Soft recommened to me by friends that live on Skye, and although sold as a beauty product is supposed to work. I have not had the oppurtunity to try it.

jeremyrh

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 05:36:27 am »

In response to the midge problem, there are lots of repellents (but few seem to work), I have had Avon, Skin So Soft recommened to me by friends that live on Skye, and although sold as a beauty product is supposed to work. I have not had the oppurtunity to try it.

I have used that but I'm not convinced of the effectiveness. DEET is nasty stuff, but it works.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2045813

crisdesign

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 03:49:16 pm »

Hi everybody, it was an amazing trip and thank you for all your tips, I have to say I'm a quite disappointed with the photo i took because they aren't even close to the stunning beauty i have encountered there.

Here's some samples:

See full set on my flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/crisdesign/
If you have any question or if you plan to do a similar trip i more than happy to give you some tips as well.
Cheers

Cris
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up