Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: S/w for Mac for High Quality Photo Book  (Read 2074 times)

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
S/w for Mac for High Quality Photo Book
« on: May 21, 2011, 08:54:54 am »

Hi,

Not sure what subforum to post this, but there is much respected experience in this subforum;

I wish to make an arts style photo book and have it low volume printed (merely a few copies) with my text at a print shop. What I look for is following:

1. A simple high quality software for Mac to make layout and text, color calibrated workflow of course

2. Enable print to PDF for ebook

3. Very standard format for printers to enable me to reprint in future

4. Any advise of layout sizes, paper etc... making it reasonable price, yet very high quality

Much appreciate advises, with many thanks!

Regards
Anders

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: S/w for Mac for High Quality Photo Book
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 11:50:00 am »

If it's a photo book, stick with InDesign since it dovetail's nicely with PS and Lightroom. PDF files from ID are easy and you can easily both press-ready and e-book ready PDF files.

Having started with PageMaker at v. 1.2 then to Quark, I'm now running InDesign and find that there will be a learning curve to get going but once you learn it, it's the best of the bunch!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:24:54 am »

software: Indesign (everybody everywhere has this; not everybody everywhere has Quark)

paper size: A4 (most affordable and holdable), crop to square or full frame if it is too long

paper type: depends on what printer can offer, heavier the better and not glossy unless you want your book to look like a lipstick catalogue

print file format: TIFF, 8-bit, colorspace RGB 1998; image size: 300dpi at print size; RGB or CMYK: check with printer (makes a big difference)

reprints: whatever you do you will have to readjust for printer profile every time you reprint on a different machine
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:30:43 am by lowep »

happyman

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 03:11:18 pm »

InDesign is overkill for what you will do. The learning curve is much to high as is the price tag. I use it to make a living so it is my every day tool.

Your book is a project so do yourself a favour and keep it simple.

iStudio Publisher should do all what you want and it is easy to handle:

http://www.istudio.co/istudio-publisher/screencast-gallery/

cheers
j.

Bruce MacNeil

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 12:26:13 pm »

Aperture.

You can print through Apple - or export the PDF for printing elsewhere and make custom sizes.

It is dead easy and very useful.
Bruce MacNeil PhD; M. Div.; M.Fol.

jonathan.lipkin

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 11:39:12 am »

InDesign is not all that hard to use, but there is a bit of an initial learning curve. Apple's iPhoto is a nice way to make inexpensive books, and has other output options - book, slideshow in quicktime I think.

If you haven't already found a printer, I know a very good printer in Hoboken (Conveyor Arts) who just did a book for me. Binding and print quality were first-rate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up