Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP 24" Z3100 - minor problem - Central / South Florida  (Read 470 times)

hencha

HP 24" Z3100 - minor problem - Central / South Florida
« on: May 20, 2011, 06:24:25 am »

I am offering this printer for sale, but with a minor problem, which presented itself about 5 weeks ago. While printing one day, it stopped and the message "Yellow ink cartridge defective - Press OK to replace". 3 days later, I installed a new cartridge and the printer started printing normally, but after 4 or 5 prints, the same message came up. Removed and re-installed the yellow a number of times, but same message. Called HP who tried a little while to help me, but were more interested in "sending a technician out to fix it" than helping me diagnose what the problem might be.

I am retiring this summer to Central America and had already planned to put this printer up for sale, but in June / July, after doing a few more large prints. I have, however, decided to place it FOR SALE NOW rather than deal with this any further. I have neither the TIME nor the INCENTIVE to keep looking into it. I have tried 1 or 2  things suggested by HP, but do not want to do anymore than that. I am not a qualified HP repairman and I do NOT want to accidentally make the situation worse. I really think the problem has to be something minor, something needing to be 'reset' or re-calibrated. I lack the patience to try any further...

My retirement is right around the corner and for the past 5 months, I travel to Central America every few weeks to take care of things: place to live / how to ship my personal things / apply for legal local residency, etc + many, many other details to be arranged.
And i still have to fly there 2 or 3 more times, in addition to a number of important details I must deal with in the U.S. before leaving. My time is becoming  ever more limited and there is no way I can invest any more time in this printer, trying to figure out what its problem might be. At this point, it is no longer a priority for me !

TO RECAP =
- printer was bought new in september 2007
- used for light personal printing, estimated at approx. 650-900 medium prints + a few large ones
- fantastic on ink usage, very economical
- functioned perfectly since I bought it almost 4 years ago
- belt professionally replaced October 2010 (normal maintenance)
- Z3100 known to be an excellent PRO printer, capable of SUPERB prints

I am quite positive this is a fixable problem for someone with the TIME and INCLINATION to "play with it" a while. I know it is NOT something major, because when turned ON, the printer goes through its full normal start-up procedures before the message comes up. Must be something to be 'reset', that I just don't know about...

** Someone suggested that I sell the printer as PARTS. Maybe there is a demand for parts from this printer, but I just would not feel right doing this to my printer. If someone else wishes to buy it and then sell specific parts to other Z3100 owners, that would be their decision...

Normally, this printer would be selling for $1200-1300, but my LOSS will be someone's GAIN. Just the amount of INK still in the cartridges is worth at least $475. This printer CAN be fixed, and is a potentially very good deal for someone...

I am asking $820 for the printer, and am open to all REASONABLE OFFERS !  

Too large to ship, so that leaves LOCAL deals / pick-up ONLY. I am in PALM BEACH county and very close to I-95. Email or call. Henry at 561-523-0294  

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 05:46:43 pm by hencha »
hencha
Pages: [1]   Go Up