Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptops and i1 profiler  (Read 1913 times)

fighterkitekook

Laptops and i1 profiler
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:21:03 am »

Hello,
I just got the new i1 photo pro....all of my laptops(4) failed the profiler!!!!!
one was close...passed the average but failed the max delta e ...FAILED!
anyone out there have a laptop that passed?
I need to think about getting a new one.
I really want one that passes.
thanks

fighterkitekook

Re: Laptops and i1 profiler
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:59:48 am »

2008 dell inspiron 1720...failed
2008 dell inspiron 1520...failed
2008 dell inspiron 1420...failed
2010 dell inspiron 1525...failed

I should note that the 1720 and 1420 (both have nvidia cards) drove my Hyundai monitors
both of them passed:

Hyundai B90A..smoked the test...avg delta e  1.66   max delta e  3.24  ...not bad for 2005!
Hyundai B70S...PASSED
both only had trouble with colors 2 and 22...???wonder if this will be a trend(having trouble with similar colors) within a manufacturers range of products???

Samsung 2233...failed

Please add your equipment that has failed....and most important the equipment that PASSED!!!!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:06:49 am by fighterkitekook »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 03:11:45 pm »

what sensor are you using?
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

fighterkitekook

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 03:33:50 am »

I just bought the new i1 photo Pro.
 It came with the i1Pro spectrophotometer (measurement device)
The software allows you to test you monitor after you profile it. Display QA

It flashes known colors on your screen and then the spectro reads them...it has a very low tolerance for error. 3 delta e....not sure what delta e is though....but my dell's didn't muster the test.

howardm

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 08:57:47 am »

Other than verifying that the profile you created is in fact loaded and 'in play', verifying a calibration w/ the same instrument you used to do the original calibration is a waste of time.  It's like having a too small measuring cup verify that you just poured out a cup of water from teh same cup.

shewhorn

• http://
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 12:22:36 pm »

Other than verifying that the profile you created is in fact loaded and 'in play', verifying a calibration w/ the same instrument you used to do the original calibration is a waste of time.  It's like having a too small measuring cup verify that you just poured out a cup of water from teh same cup.

While that logic certainly makes sense the analogy isn't applicable. Validation tells you whether or not the profile was able to reliably hit the targets and there is nothing wrong with using the same instrument to do so. Just because you profile your screen doesn't mean that the screen is capable of hitting the specified targets and if that's the case validation will tell you where your monitor has failed to perform. In addition validation tracks performance over time. Through repeated validations you should expect to see a similar performance every time. If things start changing (a shift towards blue, luminance starts dropping down faster than normal, the blues are getting a little hot) then it's indicative of a failure. You don't need to have a separate instrument to do that kind of validation.

It's like having a too small measuring cup verify that you just poured out a cup of water from teh same cup.

That's actually quite useful. If you can't really see what you're pouring the water into, you pour a cup out, and when pouring it back you get 3/4ths of a cup then that provides extremely useful information about your cup. If you run the validation again and still only have 3/4ths of a cup you know that the target cup somehow shrunk. If you immediately take another measurement (to make sure there wasn't a problem with your validation) and you know have 1/2 a cup coming back you can deduce that there is most likely a hole in the target cup.

Given the relatively poor device to device tolerances indicated by Ethan's test I'd say that unless you have a Konica Minolta CA 310 or a PR 730/735 sitting on the shelf, you're better off using the same instrument to do your validation as that will give you better consistency and a better indication of when something on your monitor is starting to out of spec. Now there is one flaw there and that is... how do you know your test instrument isn't falling out of spec? Actually you'd have the same problem even if you used a different instrument. The way you can tell if a single instrument is out of spec is if you start seeing the same types of errors popping up across multiple screens as it's unlikely all of them would fail in the exact same way at the exact same time.

Cheers, Joe

fighterkitekook

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 06:19:36 pm »

So has anyone using the new i1 profiler had any success passing QA with their laptop?

I almost did with my 1720....just failed 'max delta e' on 4 of the 24 color patches.
                                                passed 'avg delta e'

?????
Pages: [1]   Go Up