Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where the money is in photography  (Read 4548 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Where the money is in photography
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 02:16:28 pm »

The whole market is expending as it never was. It's just a specific role in that market that is suffering a bit from overcrowding. It's my feeling (based on talks with quite a few pro photographers) that the really good ones, offering or taking part in large packages, have never done as well as they do now. It's at the bottom (in terms of turnover, not necessarily talent) that there's a big issue. But you've got to be realistic: there was, for example, a huge amount of bottom feeding in the corporate event/wedding market. The production in that segment sucked big time. Why did people use them back then? Because most of the consumers weren't able to guarantee their films would be at least OK. Fuzzy images, film lost, etc... etc... The barrier to entry in that segment of the market was basic technical know-how and a routine that guaranteed that the results, if not pretty, would at least exist. That barrier to entry in that segment is now gone.

At least, it is still a be hard to subcontract the photography of a wedding to a Mumbai based office...  ;)

Agree on most points. But the really good photographers are not indicative of the health of the business. To stretch the cliche, there are still buggy whip manufacturers around, but that doesn't mean the business is doing as well as a hundred years ago.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:21:37 pm by feppe »

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 03:22:38 pm »

Dammit, feppe, just when I thought I knew where I stood I find myself in total agreement with you!

Rob C

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 03:56:31 pm »

Dammit, feppe, just when I thought I knew where I stood I find myself in total agreement with you!

That is disconcerting, indeed; I think one of us has to take a close look at his position :P

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 07:29:38 am »

I'll try to be more controversial next time ;-0
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up