Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing EPS files  (Read 1190 times)

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
Printing EPS files
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:42:09 pm »

Anyone know how to print an EPS file?  I have someone bringing three EPS files over that they want me to print.  I have never done so and am not actually sure if its possible for me to do so.  Printing either with PS5, Lightroom or Qimage to an Epson 9800.  Any suggestions on the best way to handle these files?  Thanks for any info.
CMurph

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: Printing EPS files
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 01:12:56 pm »

Open the file in Photoshop. When you do, IIRC, you'll be asked how it should be rasterized. You can set the pixel dimensions and PPI in that dialog then the file will open scaled to the appropriate size.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Craig Murphy

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 01:30:20 pm »

Thanks Neil.  After rasterizing I can then save them as tiffs etc.
CMurph

Sven W

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 02:32:04 pm »

What kind of EPS is it?
It can be important sometimes, to know what working space or embedded profile the file contains.
Because PS will open the file automatically into the working space you have picked in the color settings.
If the EPS is from Illustrator, I usually open the file there first and check. So I know what action I will do in PS.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Randy Carone

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 02:50:39 pm »

Before opening the file in PS go to Edit > Color Settings and click "Ask when opening" under Color Management Policies > Profile Mismatches and when the EPS is opened, a box will come up allowing the user to maintain the embedded profile OR set it to Preserve Embedded Profile and change it back after you do your work on the EPS files.
Randy Carone

Sven W

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 04:45:02 pm »

???
There's no such box, at least in CS4. Only the Rasterize box where you choose your ppi and dimensions.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Randy Carone

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 04:50:46 pm »

Sven, you are correct. In order to keep the embedded profile of an EPS in PS, the user will have to go to Edit > Assign Profile in order to make (or keep) the profile choice of the file. Does that make sense?
Randy Carone

Sven W

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 05:10:21 pm »

The EPS is automatically assigned to the working space of choice.
And I'm not sure, but think an EPS-file from Illustrator can't have an embedded profile.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
This is probably something for the RWCM team to give us a proper explanation. ;)

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Craig Murphy

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 06:35:08 pm »

Thanks for the responses.  The files I have are untagged EPSF. That is an Illustrator file?  If so.  Yes they are untagged files.   Photoshop opened them with a missing profile message.  I opened them as 'leave as is (don't color manage.) then saved them as tiffs after a convert to profile to Adobe rgb.  Really not sure if that was the best way and I had to fix color but they printed well enough.  
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 06:36:52 pm by Craig Murphy »
CMurph

Sven W

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 07:21:12 pm »

That's what my workflow would be, too.
If you have Illustrator it can be a good idea, to open the eps and compare.
The trick is to figure out in what way or in what workspace an untagged file is made.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden
Pages: [1]   Go Up