Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Aptus-II 12 80Mpx: first impressions in studio + recovery tests  (Read 3807 times)

AlexKoloskov

• The Lighting Magician

Hope this will be interesting for the community:

Last week I have a chance to play with top of the Leaf’s line of digital backs, Leaf Aptus-II 12, 80-megapixel digital back mounted on Phase One 645DF camera. Many thanks to Steve Hendrix from Capture Integration for bringing all this beauty to the studio.

As usual, I it was interesting for me to see how camera + back will be performing in a studio, in the controlled light condition. I shoot particularly product, jewelry and food, and ability to recover shadows and highlights is very important to me, along with resolution and IQ (image quality).

Many times I am dealing with subjects contained high glossy pieces and dark areas where it is hard to direct the light. Therefore, a high dynamic range does really help in post-production.

This is our hero:

All the test were performed at ISO 50, F14, tethered shooting to Capture One 6.

100% crops from the above:

Highlights very well handled:

Just for a reference, Hasselblad H4D-50 with 120mm Macro, the same subject:

The rest of the results (shadow and highlight recovery in particular)  is on the blog:
http://www.akelstudio.com/blog/leaf-aptus-ii-12-80-megapixel-digital-back-review-it-is-not-only-pixels-that-count

I do not want to spoil mouse over functionality by re-posting everything here. It is very cool to see the difference by hovering the image.

Alex
www.Koloskov.com
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 03:19:15 pm by AlexKoloskov »
Alex Koloskov,
The Lighting Magician at
www.photigy.com

design_freak

Great job :-)
This DB is very nice.
Do you have used a new version of a macro lens? (Hasselblad HC 4/120 MK II) If not for the sake of peace and love to see how much curiosity has been improved.
Best regards,
DF

AlexKoloskov

• The Lighting Magician

Need to check with John from Hotwire-Digital, he brought the Hasselblad goodies last year.
Alex Koloskov,
The Lighting Magician at
www.photigy.com

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com

Thanks alot for posting this, very informative!  8)

Regards
Anders

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen

The back is a little creepy it is so good. Love it.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up