Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Formerly Know As: still life with bust  (Read 2420 times)

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Formerly Know As: still life with bust
« on: May 15, 2011, 06:47:53 pm »

Light through a window this weekend presented what looked like an opportunity.  Please critique this result.

Bruce
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:28:53 am by Bruce Cox »

Rob C

Re: still life with bust
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 05:06:34 am »

Light through a window this weekend presented what looked like an opportunity.  Please critique this result.

Bruce

I usually refrain from commenting here, as Kirk will verify, but I think your title is very misleading: where the hell's the bust?

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:23:14 am »

I can see a potential image here but some cropping will have to be done to the sides and bottom. The head has already been cropped when you pressed the shutter button. A better composition would have been better at the point of capture? Some nice side lighting on the bust. My take on the cropping but others may suggest something better? ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 09:40:46 am »

I usually refrain from commenting here, as Kirk will verify, but I think your title is very misleading: where the hell's the bust?

Rob C
From the free online dictionary: "2. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Art Terms) a sculpture of the head, shoulders, and upper chest of a person."

In the art world, a "bust" doesn't have to include the part that you prefer to focus on, Rob.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 10:26:35 am »

Rob C

My apologies:  Knowing I was wrong, I had consulted a dictionary, which confirmed it, but I wished to pose behind a classy title. ["classy title" being another way of saying {Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Art Terms}]  I do not often enough stop to consider the pain I may inflict by not being more simply accurate.  And it is hard to argue that it would not be better off with a bust.

Bruce
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:56:24 am by Bruce Cox »

popnfresh

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 12:04:21 pm »

I can see a potential image here but some cropping will have to be done to the sides and bottom. The head has already been cropped when you pressed the shutter button. A better composition would have been better at the point of capture? Some nice side lighting on the bust. My take on the cropping but others may suggest something better? ;)

I think your crop is an improvement. Good call.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 01:43:32 pm »

The movement of the sun had cropped the top of the head this late in the shoot.  I tried to apply your idea to an earlier frame with more hair [there were 69, what with wind in the trees making the light move and flicker], but came back to this one.  Thanks, for the help.

Bruce
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 02:15:36 pm by Bruce Cox »

popnfresh

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 03:33:07 pm »

The movement of the sun had cropped the top of the head this late in the shoot.  I tried to apply your idea to an earlier frame with more hair [there were 69, what with wind in the trees making the light move and flicker], but came back to this one.  Thanks, for the help.

Frankly, I prefer stamper's crop.

Rob C

Re: Formerly Know As: still life with bust
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 03:43:00 pm »

Frankly, when you get short-changed in the bust department, art flies oot the windae, as they might say in Scotland (help, stamper, can't spell the lingo!)

Okay, declaration: of course bust was the correct word; just trying to lift my gloom is all. Oy veh, already!

; - (

Rob C

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: Formerly Know As: still life with bust
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 05:41:51 pm »

Frankly, when you get short-changed in the bust department, art flies oot the windae, as they might say in Scotland (help, stamper, can't spell the lingo!)

Okay, declaration: of course bust was the correct word; just trying to lift my gloom is all. Oy veh, already!

; - (

Rob C

Sometimes, I scare too easily; it was quite early in the morning here...

Bruce

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 05:52:29 pm »

Frankly, I prefer stamper's crop.

I don't know if it argues for the crop one way or the other, but because stamper's thumbnail was brighter than mine and because I had not reprocessed the file [other than sharpening] when I cropped it,  I brightened it, etc.

Bruce
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:39:50 am by Bruce Cox »
Pages: [1]   Go Up