Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Subway  (Read 8914 times)

Hassyman

The Subway
« on: May 15, 2011, 04:55:45 pm »

How is the hike to The Subway in Zion i mid winter. Is the water level high? Would rubber boots be high enough to make it?

cwood

• Utah & Big Island, HI
Re: The Subway
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 02:41:44 pm »

It would depend on which entry point you select. The upper route requires a descent that could be icy and dangerous, as well as pools of water requiring swimming (wet suits) and then a repel down into the Subway tube.  The access up the canyon from the south would be easier in the winter.  This past winter some hikers became stranded in the Subway because of weather conditions and required rescue by park service and Air Force personnel.  The winter would not be my choice as an optimum time to hike/photograph the Subway.

Hassyman

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 03:03:58 pm »

cwood,

Thank you for your advice. I just wanted to make a different picture and had an idea for snow and ice in the narrows, but maybe it is a stupid idea. Low temperatures do not worry me so much, but of course a flash flood in the winter would be a major problem.

ltphoto

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 04:28:58 pm »

I have had the same thought about a winter photograph in the Subway, but have concluded that it would be close to impossible. If conditions existed for a great image (i.e. snow and ice) it would be difficult at best to get there from either end. Even from the South you would still have to descend the main canyon wall in icy conditions. And if it was not icy, well then it would not offer the conditions for the unique image.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 04:17:44 pm »

Interview and image from Guy Tal the subway in winter ...

Hassyman

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 06:35:37 pm »

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading indeed. I just can´t understand why he screwed everything up in the post processing. Way too often I see great photography getting ruined by overdone HDR and color saturation.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 09:58:14 pm »

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading indeed. I just can´t understand why he screwed everything up in the post processing. Way too often I see great photography getting ruined by overdone HDR and color saturation.
mmm, not seeing it.  Really doesn't look over saturated to me on my displays - the location lends itself to rich colors.

I know he mentioned he uses HDR in the article, but did he explicitly state he did so on this image (I didn't see it)  I've read a couple of his books, and he really doesn't do HDR just to do it, let alone for the funky effect most get out of it.  More likely layered a couple of versions and manually blended in a few highlights or shadows, but this image doens't look like it would have really pushed his sensors dynamic range.

As far as color, seems about right to me.  The wet red rocks are very saturated and rich, and the sunset glowing in this canyon is famous for colors like this.  But he himself would probably tell you, each person to their own visualization and vision.   

Off the subject though .. sounds like a somewhat risky adventure ...  better be prepared, geared correctly and hopefully have a companion and sat. radio if you tackle this. Some winters are probably much easier than others, but after reading it, I'll stick to my original plan of venturing up there sometime this summer, and maybe again in the fall - a winter trip is probably too much for my somewhat out of shape 58 year old body.

Johnphoto

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 01:56:15 pm »

I think it is a great photograph, but I agree with Hassyman. Guy Tal´s photographs in general show too much post processing giving the images a cartoony look.

sanfairyanne

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 02:59:13 pm »

I´ll be trying it this winter, I have been in there several times and I have an EPIRB or an emergency satellite radio beacon. You are welcome to join me if you like. email me at andywaddington99@yahoo.com

degrub

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 08:38:34 am »

"How is the hike to The Subway in Zion i mid winter. Is the water level high? Would rubber boots be high enough to make it?"

i don't know what your backcountry experience is, but please recognize that the rangers and others will only attempt rescue if it is safe for them to get in and out. You may want to be prepared to stay at least overnight if you get hurt or stuck, particularly if a storm rolls in.

Frank

Johnphoto

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 01:05:16 pm »

Why bother shooting this place? It has been done way too many times already. Find your own "Subway".There are thousands of them out there. This is a general problem in The South West. Everybody shoots the same icon places. To quote Pink Floyd, " It´s just another brick in the wall"

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 06:26:00 pm »

Why bother shooting this place? It has been done way too many times already. Find your own "Subway".There are thousands of them out there. This is a general problem in The South West. Everybody shoots the same icon places. To quote Pink Floyd, " It´s just another brick in the wall"
Of course, advice like this has been done to death as well ...

But there is only 1 subway, permits for access are limited (and must be applied for months in advance), it's a pretty challenging hike especially coming out and negotiating a steep rocky trail with a headlamp on and not much of an obvious trail.  Then again the original poster was talking about doing it in mid winter which is very unique and would be very interesting (although risky). Even icons can be captured in a new way.  Sure maybe not the first but new to the photographer and new to many viewers.

If you are on a short trip to the Southwest, the iconic locations are appealing because you know you can get a good shot (and it's your shot).  It's one thing if you live there and have time to explore, but there's a whole lot of either boring or interesting but very hard to get to locations between those iconic locations in the southwest.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:55:53 pm by Wayne Fox »

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 08:40:25 pm »

In this discussion (and loads of similar others) of "iconic shooting" I'm reminded of the phrase "the perfect is the enemy of the good".  When I travel, it's on a limited budget, but even more restrictive its limited in time.  I can't take off much more that a week at a time.  Would it be great to find that special location no one has shot before? Sure - but then I buy lottery tickets too....   And I should point out that I'm a city slicker with no skills whatsoever in wilderness navigation or survival.

FWIW I've seen some nice shots of bricks.

Final note, when I'm browsing through the discussion forums the messages I typically open are the ones with iconic references.  I've seen them often enough to be able to relate to the image and the context in a way that's not possible for something I've never seen before.   And bonus if I've shot the same location myself.  I say keep the icons coming!!! 

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 02:17:22 pm »

Well said Tim.

I thought I might add that there is a lot to shoot around the subway that is fantastic as well ... certainly opportunity to find a unique look.

mkuhns

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 06:06:09 pm »

Why shoot the subway when it has been photographed thousands of times?
Because I havn't been there yet and there is more to the experience than just getting a good photo. I want to experience the location and at the end of the day have a picture (hopefully good) to remind me of it forever.

To the OP, if you are going to do a long winter hike please be prepared for it. You will need waterproof gear and enough emergency equipment to survive the night while wet if you slip and break a leg.

Greg Campbell

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 09:29:21 pm »

No offense intended, but if you have to ask, you're already in too deep.

You'll be in potentially freezing conditions, a long way from help.  A simple slip in the creek can sprain or break an ankle, as well as douse you with freezing water.  In seconds, a pleasant hike has become a deadly situation.  As mentioned, the Rangers will only come for you if it is safe to do so.  Afterward, they will leave you with a big, fat rescue bill... helicopters aren't cheap!

Bring a partner, or at least be prepared to wait for the best possible weather before heading out. 

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 12:53:10 pm »

No offense intended, but if you have to ask, you're already in too deep

That is a ridiculous statement. Even the most experienced canyon trekker would be wise to ask such a question before visiting a new area.
"The real voyage of discove

mkuhns

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 01:57:46 pm »

I have waterproof hiking boots, but does anyone have experience winter canyoneering in NRS workboot wetshoes?  5 mm neoprene with lugged sole combat boot style. They have worked well for 6-8 HR wet caving trips (45 deg water) but have never used them in snow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up