Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: splash and crash warranties, worth the cost?  (Read 1489 times)

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
splash and crash warranties, worth the cost?
« on: May 15, 2011, 12:01:52 pm »

The salesman at the camera store was pushing an extended warranty that includes coverage for drops and water damage. I know that extended warranties for most electronics is wasted money, but in this case it seems there may be an argument in favor. Any thoughts or experiences?
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Re: splash and crash warranties, worth the cost?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 08:36:05 pm »

Extended warranties are the largest source of a retailer's profit on electronics. That's why they push them so hard, even on $19 items. They are profitable because there are rarely payouts due in some part as to how the fine print reads. For me, I would never buy that kind of insurance.

mouse

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:37:18 pm »

I think I would first look at insuring the camera (and other equipment) agains all loss.  This would include accidental damage as well as loss of the gear due to theft and other misadventures.  I think the cost/benifit ratio of an extended warranty would be too high unless the cost were very low.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 06:03:13 am »

Check to see what kind of coverage you get from your own house/pesonal belongings insurance.  I lost an expensive Bronica lens many years ago and it was almost fully covered.
Pages: [1]   Go Up