Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first wood transfer attempt: complete failure  (Read 7983 times)

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
My first wood transfer attempt: complete failure
« on: May 14, 2011, 01:22:06 pm »

Well, that didn't work.

Based on the other thread about printing on veneer, I ordered some of the SuperSauce. Today I tried it out. My method was:

1) Paint the diluted supersauce onto a piece of plywood using a foam brush
2) Immediately place the transparency, ink side down, onto the wet supersauce
3) Roll firmly with a J-roller to ensure adhesion
4) Peel off the transparency (or, for a few of them, wait 20 minutes then peel)

Result: Nothing. Basically almost no ink transferred.

Now I cheaped out and didn't order the "magic" transparency film from DASS. Instead I used the Pictorico OHP I had on hand. Perhaps the OHP is just too good at holding onto the ink?

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: My first wood transfer attempt: complete failure
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 01:46:11 pm »

Neil,
Bonnie designed the "coated transfer film" and the Dass pre coat to work together.
It was worth the try using the other film but am pretty sure you will have to order some of her film to make it work.
In addition to the 24" roll I ordered a pack of 8 1/2" x 11" film. A good way to start without laying out a ton of money for the roll.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:49:19 pm by Dan Berg »

neile

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 01:53:36 pm »

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. At the same time I don't imagine she does enough volume to be able to do completely custom forumlations of transparency, so it must be something out there that's private labeled :)

NEil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

plui

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 03:22:31 pm »

Hi, I had very good success with my first wood transfers using DASS.  I emailed Bonnie directly at dass support to confirm some inconsistencies with local (Vancouver) supply of 93 percent isopropyl alcohol. 

The dilution must  be made with the proper isopropyl, which isn't available in my area. She was very helpful and responsive.

I applied the diluted sauce with a brush onto the wood, rolled on the printed film, waited 3 minutes (not 20) and peeled back the film. Worked great. I would put a photo up byt my daughter is keepingf my handsfyull at the momnt

neile

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 03:32:33 pm »

I'm sure my issue was the film used. I've ordered a test pack of the 8.5x11" to see how it goes.

Neil
Neil Enns

Light Seeker

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 04:14:17 pm »

Neil, you may have already seen this, and I'm not sure if your product is listed. . . .

"Do I have to use DASS™ Transfer Films to do the processes?
DASS™ Classic Transfer Film is the very best for all processes. The prints can be stored for weeks before using them.  With any film some ink may remain after a transfer, but the DASS Classic film provides the most complete transfer.  Oce Clear Film FCNSO4 or FC1050 works for all processes but may not fully transfer, and you should use within 1-2 days of printing.  HP Clear Film CA3876A only works with the alcohol gel process.  Kimoto SC4 or CC4 only works well for the gelatin transfer, and additional ink may remain on the film.  Apollo CG7031S works well for the alcohol gel and fairly well for the gelatin process, but it may be discontinued and hard to find."

Terry.

Light Seeker

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 04:16:14 pm »

Hi, I had very good success with my first wood transfers using DASS.  I emailed Bonnie directly at dass support to confirm some inconsistencies with local (Vancouver) supply of 93 percent isopropyl alcohol. 

The dilution must  be made with the proper isopropyl, which isn't available in my area. She was very helpful and responsive.

What did you learn about the isopropyl alcohol? (I'm in Regina)

Terry.

plui

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 04:37:39 pm »

What did you learn about the isopropyl alcohol? (I'm in Regina)

Terry.

DASS requires dilution with 91 percent isopropyl.

The DASS website offered this tip:
Some people outside the US cannot find the 91% isopropyl alcohol.  I have found that if 1.5 cups of 99% isopropyl alcohol and 1/2 cup of
70% isopropyl alcohol are mixed it will make a 91.75% mixture. Then shake the SuperSauce Concentrate and add 2 tablespoons to the alcohol
mixture. It seems to work properly.

I brushed the dilution onto cut sheets of carpet/flooring underlay from Home Depot. I printed onto the DASS film (36 inch roll) using epsons watercolor radiant white profile.

The DASS film required a 3-4 inch leader of white backing to feed properly. (Epson requires a white , not clear) media to be loaded -- i taped on a scrap of canvas.

Printed, and transferred to wood, all withing 15 minutes.

I also used the film on a few scraps of aluminum but was not able to get a smooth/uniform application of the undiluted supersauce using a roller or brush, so the resultant transfer, while technically successful, is not at all appealing (to my own eyes, at least).

Damir

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 04:39:53 pm »

I never tried SuperSauce but did all kind of different transfers like alcohol gel and gesso transfers, and find out that it is really difficult to find film that works. The best product was Awery Zweckform overhead transparency - works beautifully, but it is only in A4 size.
HP Clear Film CA3876A never release even the tiniest amout of ink, neither was the other products that I tried. So it is definitelly the film that made problem.
DASS products are not available here.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 04:41:49 pm by Damir »

neile

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 07:12:49 pm »

Neil, you may have already seen this, and I'm not sure if your product is listed. . . .

Yep, I did see that Terry, thanks. I was basically gambling that my existing OHP stock would work. Oh well.

Neil
Neil Enns
Pages: [1]   Go Up