Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition  (Read 5240 times)

donaldt

Re: Introducing the Hasselblad Royal Edition
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 08:50:43 am »

For the love of god, make a black one already.

Exactly LOL

michael

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 09:33:18 am »

I sniggered as well when I saw the "Royal Edition" Hasselblad.

But I remember when at a Photokina some years ago I snidely commented to an executive of a major European camera company that I was appalled by products such as their Bethoven Memorial Edition Model 6 covered in Reticulated Ostrich Testicle Leather.

He smiled knowingly and said that he agreed that these were silly products from a photographic perspective, but that they were huge money makers for the company. Every time they did one they sold out, usually prior to production.

It seems that the market in Asia, especially China, with its millions of neauvo riche, snapped these up, and the more bling the better. A $5,000 product could have $200 worth of cosmetic enhancements, put in a fancy box,  and then be sold for $10,000. The margins are stupendous. Another industry wag who was in on the conversation said that he doubted that these cameras were ever actually used. Instead they'd be worn over the shoulder once at a cocktail party, and then displayed in a locked cabinet in one's study. Take it out and shoot pictures? Never – that would reduced it's "value".

So when you see a company selling these baubles just remember that it's putting lots of dough to the bottom line, and hopefully financing their ability to continue to produce products which actual photographers can use to create images.

Michael

jduncan

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 02:49:30 pm »

The question remains, though: will it blend?

Um good, question. I don't know, my Ferrari did blend, or so say the guy. The point is; I never got it back so, I am sure It did blend, could not be any other way.

:)
english is not my first language, an I k

Alan W George

• http://alan-george.com/
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 10:00:01 pm »

Wow!  That's spectacularly stupid.  Me thinks the damage to the credibility would not be worth selling 100 cameras, but WTF do I know.  IMO, their marketing department needs a loooooong vacation.  God help em when P1 comes out with a real camera.  My intuition tells me there will never be a "Royal Edition".
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:16:45 pm by Alan W George »

LKaven

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 10:09:01 pm »

I wonder whether you can ever get the scent of urine out of ostrich scrotum, reticulated or otherwise?

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 03:29:30 am »

Seriously guys,

This is not a product and not sure of the motivation of the OP
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

stewarthemley

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 03:54:46 am »

Seriously guys,

This is not a product and not sure of the motivation of the OP

Maybe there's a clue here somewhere - "Design FREAK" ?

Edit: And I want to add how impressed I was with Michael's real-world comment. For a guy who is often accused of "hating Hass" he showed a lot of understanding, and hinted that competition is almost essential these days. Imagine if only Phase produced MFDBs? As good as they are, that would not be a healthy situation IMHO. And yes, I know it's not a real product - but maybe it should be?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 03:58:59 am by stewarthemley »

mediumcool

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 04:24:11 am »

Imagine if only Phase produced MFDBs? As good as they are, that would not be a healthy situation IMHO. And yes, I know it's not a real product - but maybe it should be?

Thought experiment: what if Bill Gates had made a quick buck by selling MS-DOS to IBM (and retired) instead of renting it instead so as to earn squillions? Or what if Apple had licenced Mac OS earlier?

If there was no Apple, where would Bill have got his ideas for Windows?

If there was no Microsoft, we might all be using System 7.9.9.9.9.4 with co-operative multi-tasking (but what a lovely interface!). And a hefty price.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 04:40:47 am »

Sheik Yerbouty?

;)

I have actually seen a yacht called Camera Sheik. Thought that rather clever at the time.

Rob C

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 05:12:14 am »

If I was given that camera I would sort it out with a roll of black gaffer tape.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

design_freak

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2011, 05:18:04 am »

Unfortunately, this "something " was created by the Hasselblad factory. David you have to look at your marketing materials ...
 Announced that the Photokina trade fair will be presented with a new camera. We expected a revolution, showing the red camera ...
 Now it's gold "something" might easily be a new camera. On the occasion of the wedding in the UK ...
Sorry about the provocation, but I do not like the marketing pap that now pours from this legendary brand. I understand the difficult market situation, but some companies should not make such a desperate move. If someone were to head on his shoulders, for example, released by the last series of x-pan camera made ​​of titanium ... I am convinced that it would meet with the respect throughout the industry and users. More importantly, it would be a nice item, which we would not be ashamed.
Michael confirmed his great class. He showed that not only has great knowledge, life experience but also a man with a huge distance to the world.
Best regards,
DF
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up