Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PROFOTO 8A  (Read 1949 times)

perbernal

PROFOTO 8A
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:15:03 pm »

I'm "streamlining" my inventory of flash equipment and selling off my D4's and Acute 2's (12 packs + a dozen heads)  and would appreciate any hands on experience with the Profoto 8A. I'm shooting a lot of athletes and action type images and are looking for packs with fast recycling that can freeze fast moving subjects. I use the D1 line when traveling and find the USB Air transceiver + software extremely helpful. Just finished 80 portraits over three days with male and female athletes of different ethnicity, where I was able to change the look for each person within seconds without moving any lights. All possible with the help of ProFoto Studio Air. To my understanding you can control the 8A's in a similar fashion and where you can save the setting for different light set-ups. My Profoto dealer in LA have given me a fair trade of my equipment in exchange for x amount of 8A packs and heads. Looking forward to hear what you have to say and welcome your honest opinion.

Best regards, Per Bernal 

DeeJay

Re: PROFOTO 8A
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:31:54 am »

Hi,

The 8A is a marked improvement over the 7 for high speed and recycle time. I was quite amazed the first time I used them. It's worthy of the upgrade. The controls are different and more functionable.

Yes, it's programable and adjustable from your computer via Studio Air. It's great as I my assistant can make adjustments while shooting, reviewing etc. Or as you say you can program setups. Handy if you want to experiment and move things around.

pipzz

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 06:52:59 pm »

And don't forget ProTwin head

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 06:50:13 pm »

I'm "streamlining" my inventory of flash equipment and selling off my D4's and Acute 2's (12 packs + a dozen heads)  and would appreciate any hands on experience with the Profoto 8A. I'm shooting a lot of athletes and action type images and are looking for packs with fast recycling that can freeze fast moving subjects. I use the D1 line when traveling and find the USB Air transceiver + software extremely helpful. Just finished 80 portraits over three days with male and female athletes of different ethnicity, where I was able to change the look for each person within seconds without moving any lights. All possible with the help of ProFoto Studio Air. To my understanding you can control the 8A's in a similar fashion and where you can save the setting for different light set-ups. My Profoto dealer in LA have given me a fair trade of my equipment in exchange for x amount of 8A packs and heads. Looking forward to hear what you have to say and welcome your honest opinion.

Best regards, Per Bernal 

Awesome pack you will not be disappointed.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 03:49:28 pm »

just for your information, you can upgrade the d4 to 'air' with full air support, I am getting it done right now, doesn't make it faster though....
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

perbernal

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 05:00:42 pm »

Very interesting in regards of an upgrade of the existing D4´s. According to the Profoto rep here in LA it looks like it will cost about $1000.00/pack. He´s double checking it right now. You are right though, it doesn´t make it a faster pack but would save me a lot of money. Thanks for the information you have shared so far!

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 04:22:57 pm »

Does the upgrade mean you can also completely control it via the AIR USB like the Pro8 (I don't think I can control my Acute2BAir via this)? I am thinking about doing the same with my D4R2400.

perbernal

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 12:48:50 am »

Correct me if I´m wrong, but I was told that the upgrade involves the installment of an Air module into your old D4 pack. This would give you full control over the pack through an Air Remote receiver/transmitter or an Air USB transceiver connected to your computer just like the new version of this pack. I would definitely have invested in this upgrade have I kept my D4 packs. But after careful consideration, I decided to invest in the new 8A system after all, just not to the extent that I had originally planned to do.

Best, Per Bernal

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 12:32:36 pm »

I was quoted 380€+VAT per pack. You loose Pocket wizard capability, but gain full controll over all 4 chanels by 'Air'
-------------------------
[url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up