Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Cambo Lenses Arriving / 60mm / 28mm  (Read 2585 times)

Williamson Images

• http://www.williamsonimages.com
New Cambo Lenses Arriving / 60mm / 28mm
« on: May 13, 2011, 12:45:40 am »

I received my new Cambo / Schneider 60mm f 5.6 L APO Digitar in Tilt/swing mount today from Capture Integration.  Thanks Dave and Steve.  I think it is the first one in the US, but I could be wrong.  Cambo had to use a 55mm rodenstock focussing helical on it, but I am not sure what their issues were with a schneider ring - maybe size?  My 28mm Super Digitar XL in Cambo mount should be getting in to them tomorrow and on the way arriving to me Monday.  Heading out on extensive architectural shoots in KY, Miami, and the Cayman Islands the rest of the month followed by Melbourne and Sydney.  Should be putting the lenses through their paces.  Will report on the center filter solutions through Capture one software, image quality and using the tilt / swing on the 60mm.  Just wish they were less costly, obviously. 

Have a good weekend.

Robb
-------------------------
Robb Williamson
www.williamsonimages.com

buckshot

Re: New Cambo Lenses Arriving / 60mm / 28mm
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 09:13:41 am »

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the 60mm in T/S mount?

Williamson Images

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 08:53:22 pm »

Give Steve a call.  He'll set you up. 

Robb
Robb Williamson
www.williamsonimages.com

buckshot

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 10:09:27 pm »

Sounds like you got a deal  ;)

My guess: Lens + copal retails at $3k, helical is another $400, Cambo's T/S mount - about $2,000,000 (or feels like it), say $2k = $5.4k

Close?

Do I win a cigar?

Williamson Images

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 08:15:13 pm »

After shooting with these two lenses for a week, I thought I would give the group an update.  The lenses are simply amazing, which I would expect given their cost of around 6k each plus or minus.

While I have not had time to finish up many images in post, I will try to upload some samples for the group to look at.  

I have been using the new LCC function in c1 pro to take care of the color shifting at edges (during movements on the 28mm super digitar xl) and lack of center filter for the lens.  There is extreme purple or magenta color shift when shifting more than 5mm but C1 pro handles this without any issues.  I have used the lens in both vertical and horizontal positions with my Leaf Aptus II 10 with rise and fall from little to full limits.  I would not hesitate to use the new lens with up to 15mm in any direction which should open up new horizons for architectural and commercial shooters with a super wide that doesn't feel distorted or heavy handed.  Everything is sharp from like 3' to infinity at f 11 with the lens.  I have shot two frames using the shift left and right with the cambo with around 15mm movement.  Besides the purple color cast at the extremes, image quality is very nice.  Using LCC in c1 pro makes both "halves" fit seamlessly.  I would probably not choose to use stiching with this lens very often primarily because of the wide angle of view more than anything else.

The 60 is very corrected and with a large enough circle that using LCC does not seem to add much benefit to the final processing.  Straight files even with movements are very even and no color cast that I have seen.  The files are great, sharp and with the tilt swing mount, I am getting more in focus from around 4' to infinity with about 1.5-2 degrees of movement.

Colors for both lenses are very neutral and provide a great starting point for post work.  

The viewfinder and masks with the cambo are hideous and only a quick reference to start with.  It does not help that my finder wiggles up to 1/8th an inch left to right so exact framing is best done via the back or computer.  The 28 mask does not have my format etched on so I have to use part of the "shifted" marks to understand the frame lines for my aptus.  Not ideal.  I am sure that new IQ purchasers will be excited with the live view feature in lieu of the finder.  Great idea.  I will hope that a future leaf back will incorporate that one feature as well.  

The new GUI on the leaf back is a great addition to my speed and simplifying my interaction with adjustments on the back.  

So I would say if you are on the fence about either of these lenses, and can justify their use and drain on your equipment purchase budget for the year, go for it.  Great stuff awaits.  

All of my findings are with apertures locked at f 11 to 11-2/3.  I will try to post some photos relatively soon.  

Robb

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:27:01 pm by Williamson Images »
Robb Williamson
www.williamsonimages.com

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 08:46:32 am »

Great stuff Robb, I look forward to seeing some new images!

In the meantime have a look at this
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 09:23:15 am by yaya »
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |
Pages: [1]   Go Up