Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cruwee Cove, Sunset  (Read 1579 times)

Semillon

Cruwee Cove, Sunset
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:19:06 pm »

This shot is the result of my first attempts at using an ND filter, it was taken on a very clear day around 30min before sunset. Constructive criticism is most welcome.

Cruwee Cove Sunset by Semillon81, on Flickr

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: Cruwee Cove, Sunset
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:29:30 am »

Hi Semillon,

I like this and it looks to me like you have the grad setup about right, which is not bad for your first attempt - did you hand hold the grad and move it up and down in front of the lens as you exposed? That's how I do it, even though I also bought the holder and always lug it around everywhere with me just in case, but I very rarley use it.

Photobloke

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 09:06:45 am »

I think your composition is quite good and your exposure time has greatly helped the image by softening the water. I also like the foreground interest.

However, I find myself wishing there was more happening in the sky. The light, although not overtly harsh, feels as though it was on the improve when you took this photograph. You say this was 30 mins before sunset (and it looks it) - did you continue to shoot as the sun set? I suspect the light would have continued to improve - although it is a real pity there was not more cloud to reflect and catch the sunset color. Its a good use of an ND filter.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Semillon

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 09:34:07 pm »

Hi Semillon,

I like this and it looks to me like you have the grad setup about right, which is not bad for your first attempt - did you hand hold the grad and move it up and down in front of the lens as you exposed? That's how I do it, even though I also bought the holder and always lug it around everywhere with me just in case, but I very rarley use it.

Photobloke

Actually no grad filter was used here, just a 10 stop ND filter.

Thanks for the tips on grad filter use however, I shall be giving it a try.

Semillon

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 09:36:25 pm »

I think your composition is quite good and your exposure time has greatly helped the image by softening the water. I also like the foreground interest.

However, I find myself wishing there was more happening in the sky. The light, although not overtly harsh, feels as though it was on the improve when you took this photograph. You say this was 30 mins before sunset (and it looks it) - did you continue to shoot as the sun set? I suspect the light would have continued to improve - although it is a real pity there was not more cloud to reflect and catch the sunset color. Its a good use of an ND filter.

I agree completely on the sky, it was a pity that there were no significant clouds around that day.

I did continue to shoot as the sun set, however with a completely different composition that did not work out as I had hoped.

Thank you for taking the time to critique :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up