Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cost of P45+ Platform Change  (Read 8652 times)

nightfire

Cost of P45+ Platform Change
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:32:36 am »

Can anyone tell me how much a platform change from Hasselblad V to Phase One would roughly cost for a P45+, assuming that the back is not covered by extended warranty? I just need a ballpark figure. Thanks!

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Re: Cost of P45+ Platform Change
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 09:25:03 am »

Can anyone tell me how much a platform change from Hasselblad V to Phase One would roughly cost for a P45+, assuming that the back is not covered by extended warranty? I just need a ballpark figure. Thanks!

USD List price is $3,000.

You might consider contacting your dealer and asking if they would be interested in a trade. Depending on the situation, they may be open to trading your P45+ for one of theirs, plus damages, though it could easily be a lot less than just paying for a platform swap. For example - say I have a client looking for P45+ Contax mount, which are not as common as other mounts. I currently have (2) P45+ Mamiya/Phase mounts, and a P45+ Hassy V mount. I might be open to swapping one of my P45+M's for the Contax, plus some change to make the numbers work.

That's another way around paying for a swap - check with your dealer and see.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

nightfire

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 09:27:14 am »

Thanks Steve!

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 09:40:49 am »

USD List price is $3,000.

Steve Hendrix

That seems an incredible sum of money just to change the mount. Surely there is just a plate gubbins which you unscrew and pop a new one on?

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

ctz

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 10:02:02 am »

incredible!

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 11:32:36 am »

That seems an incredible sum of money just to change the mount. Surely there is just a plate gubbins which you unscrew and pop a new one on?

John

It has always been this price (or close to it). Phase One does not change the mount. They swap the back you have for a replacement back (similar shot count) that bears the desired mount. The cost is fairly equivalent with anyone who has offered the same service instead of interchangeable adapters. Leaf is a bit less because they actually do just swap the mount. It likely also includes an inspection and service check of the back (I'd have to confirm this with Doug, but that is my perception).

Steve Hendrix

John R Smith

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 12:41:48 pm »

Hmmm

So much for open platforms.

John
an

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 03:43:11 pm »

Hmmm

So much for open platforms.

John

John, I don't really understand the point you're making. ???

Steve Hendrix

John R Smith

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 03:39:59 am »

John, I don't really understand the point you're making. ???

Steve Hendrix

Well, Steve, this is nothing personal you understand. It's just that in my innocence, I assumed that where you have an MF digital back system which is "open platform", it would mean that not only could you purchase the back to fit a wide range of cameras, but that if you decided later on to get a different camera system you would then simply be able to swap the mount on the back and use it on that camera instead. But at $3,000 that (in my case) might be more than the cost of the camera. Not only that, but I would expect to be able to keep my back (which I would have treated like the crown jewels), not have to swap it for someone else's with an unknown history.

To me, this just does not sound like a good deal at all.

John
an

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 05:32:19 am »

Just get a Sinarback - the user interchangeable adapter plate costs a lot less than $3000 - though you will then run into the "open platform" issue that Sinar's software only runs on a Mac not on PC yet.

Peter Devos

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 06:27:42 am »

Or just buy my as new P45+ back for Hasselblad V with less than 400 exposures (yes less than fourhundred!!!) and i am only asking 8000 euro. ;)

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 10:23:23 am »

Well, Steve, this is nothing personal you understand. It's just that in my innocence, I assumed that where you have an MF digital back system which is "open platform", it would mean that not only could you purchase the back to fit a wide range of cameras, but that if you decided later on to get a different camera system you would then simply be able to swap the mount on the back and use it on that camera instead. But at $3,000 that (in my case) might be more than the cost of the camera. Not only that, but I would expect to be able to keep my back (which I would have treated like the crown jewels), not have to swap it for someone else's with an unknown history.

To me, this just does not sound like a good deal at all.

John

John -

This is an open platform forum, anyone is free to respectfully posit any thoughts or opinions they have, and I treat it as such, there was nothing offensive in your post, personally or otherwise. So, please, no worries.

But, did you really mean to say that if you swapped a digital back mount, you would expect to keep your digital back? That threw me a bit - gosh anyone would take that. *Yes, I'd like to change my P45+ digital back mount to Mamiya, but I want to keep the one I have, and pay less than $3,000.* Umm hmmm.... ::)

I've never really appreciated the term "open platform" myself. It's a pretty vague term, but one that seems meant to convey I can put this on any platform (camera platform, in this case). But the vagueness means that there is nothing in the term that addresses any costs. So, no claim of being able to go on any platform at some low or high cost, just that it can go on any platform (that can accept it). And for the most part, this is true.

But I digress, so back to the issue -

Yes, $3,000 is a pricey chunk of change.

Yes, you can just buy a Hasselblad or Sinar digital back and purchase interchangeable adapters for less, typically $700 - $2,600, depending on the adapter. But consider this - actually, no you can't. Hasselblad no longer makes digital backs for other cameras, only for Hasselblad cameras. So, the only digital back you can buy new today that offers interchangeable adapters is a Sinar digital back.

So if you say the average price of an interchangeable adapter is say, $1,400, then compare that to changing mounts on a Phase One back. Yes, $3,000. But they take your unit back, which means it must go through an inspection and refurbishment process. And while your unit may be functional, there still may be components or issues with the unit that you're swapping that need attention. The unit they swap it for must also go through an inspection and refurbishment process. A loss of time and labor in a service division is a very tangible cost.

When you consider the comparative cost of the average adapter you could buy today, and the wide variety of digital back options that can go on any primary medium format camera that Phase One offers (7) compared to Hasselblad (none) and Sinar (3), then the cost difference is not that significant.

$3,000 does seem like a lot just to be able to put a digital back on a different camera, but pricing is a relative proposition. Relative to the other options - few that there are -  IMO it is not as expensive as it appears. FYI - Leaf actually does swap the interface, and the cost is $2,500. But they also still do go through an inspection and service check process of your unit.

Steve Hendrix

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 10:44:10 am by Steve Hendrix »

JV

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 11:29:08 am »

Hasselblad no longer makes digital backs for other cameras, only for Hasselblad cameras.

Did Hasselblad officially make this statement?  

I assumed as much given that they did not announce any new CF backs last year but I have never read any statement anywhere that confirmed this.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:39:21 pm by JV »

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 12:59:45 pm »

Did Hasselblad officially make this statement?  

I assumed as much given that they did not announce any new CF backs last year but I have never read any statement anywhere that confirmed this.

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/digital-backs.aspx

Steve Hendrix

nightfire

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 06:09:57 pm »

Thank you Steve, your advice saved me some money today!

Turns out the dealer I bought the back from indeed had a trade-in offer for me - a P45+ with one-tenth of my current actuations, and 6 months warranty too. I'll still have to pay dearly, but quite a bit less than the standard platform change fee.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit between a rock and a hard place if I want to keep doing MF digital. My mistake -  I should have anticipated earlier when I bought the P45+ with V mount that manual focusing with my existing Hasselblad might not be possible forever considering my eyesight. Anyway, lession learned, and I wish Phase One a prosperous future - because I'm going to be stuck with them for a long time now, for better or worse  ;).

lance_schad

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 06:39:51 pm »

One thing that I point out to many people that are considering a new PhaseOne digital back purchase is to strongly consider the Value Added Warranty. Besides giving you 3 years of warranty coverage P+ & 5 years on the IQ series, it gives you a loner digital back if yours needs service and 1 platform swap during the term of the Value Added Warranty. It is a $3000 option on the P+ and $4000 on the IQ series.

It is transferable so if you decide to sell your camera the coverage goes with it, and more importantly the purchaser could change the mount if needed.
So it makes your Phase One back more marketable.

So if you purchase a VA warranty you will not have to worry about paying the fee and have peace of mind.

Lance
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

John R Smith

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 06:20:02 am »

So if you purchase a VA warranty you will not have to worry about paying the fee and have peace of mind.

Well, I should hope you wouldn't to worry about it, you've already paid it haven't you. Suppose nothing goes wrong (and it really shouldn't at the price of an IQ whatever) and you didn't want a platform swap anyhow?

I think you guys live in a very different world to the one I inhabit  ;)

John
an

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 08:39:41 am »

Well, I should hope you wouldn't to worry about it, you've already paid it haven't you. Suppose nothing goes wrong (and it really shouldn't at the price of an IQ whatever) and you didn't want a platform swap anyhow?

I think you guys live in a very different world to the one I inhabit  ;)

John

John I think that Steve and Lance are just using too many words here...

If you have a V-series Leaf or Phase back on your 500 and decide to change to an AF camera then you can change the back (Phase) or its mount (Leaf) and this comes with a price tag.

You cannot do this with any other current* digital back

* current means in production and that offers different resolution choices e.g. Aptus-II 5/6/7/8/10/12

Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 03:29:03 pm »

current*  ;)

JV

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 05:22:35 am »

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/digital-backs.aspx

Steve Hendrix

Steve, I saw this as well and I deduce the same thing from it as you do but it is still no official statement from the company towards the future though, thanks Joris.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up