Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8 Head Vs. 12 Head Printers?  (Read 1738 times)

Habitat

8 Head Vs. 12 Head Printers?
« on: May 11, 2011, 05:32:03 pm »

Could anyone tell me what the major difference would be between an 8 and 12 head printer?

The 2 printers my company are looking at are:

HP Designjet Z2100 (8 Head)
Canon iPF6300 (12 Head)

Opinions, anyone? Thanks!

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: 8 Head Vs. 12 Head Printers?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 07:39:20 pm »

Color gamut and total volume of color. Obviously, a 12 ink printer will have a larger color gamut and total volume of color. Whether that matters is highly dependent on the type of work being printed. In general, more colors of ink is better for photos and graphics.

Habitat

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:36:46 am »

Thanks for the info. How about ink usage... is there going to be much difference in price in the long run?

Randy Carone

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:29:25 pm »

Regardless of the number of print heads, each material has an ink limit that will be addressed by the print profile. The total amount of ink will be the same for 8 or 12 heads, it will just be a different distribution from more or less heads. The average total ink usage for Epson printers is ~1.5ml/sq. ft. for full coverage and I would imagine that Canon's ink totals are similar in their coverage. As Dano of Epson mentioned in another post, there is also very little difference in ink usage at different printer resolutions. His example was 1440dpi vs. 2880dpi, both of which use the same amount of ink.
Randy Carone

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 07:26:25 pm »

Also, it's what you do with all those colours that counts.  More doesn't automatically mean a bigger or better gamut - it justs makes it possible.  It then comes down to the driver or the RIP.
Phil Brown

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 03:51:48 am »

I have a few pictures that depend on transparent sky gradations in the blues through reds that print a lot better on the iPF8300 than on the old 8-ink 9880.  But for a lot of images, those two printers produce essentially identical prints.  I don't do much flesh photography, but I can guess the 12-inkers might do a lot better on skin tones than the 8-inkers, given good files and wide gamut media.

And for a few brutally over processed shots from years ago, the lower gamut 9880 rendition is actually "better" by some criteria, compared to the iPF8300 renditions which shows up how bad the overprocessing actually is.  Classic cases of a newbie scratching his head while pushing images ever farther outside their gamut limits, until finally the out of gamut printer flummoxing becomes a part of the image.  Although I could probably realize some improvements from the 9880 versions by reprocessing the shots with the iPF8300 in mind, I probably won't do anything beyond some desaturation because the images are too well known in their present overwrought forms.  So what I'm trying to say, going 8-ink to 12-ink can potentially have some complications for those with old image libraries.

But beyond gamut considerations, I would advise choosing a low mileage printer over a high mileage one.  Sooner or later a printer will need a very expensive service call, which can easily add up to some real money.
Pages: [1]   Go Up