Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharing videos with clients, DAM for videos  (Read 1608 times)

FDewannieux

Sharing videos with clients, DAM for videos
« on: May 11, 2011, 05:26:18 pm »

I am a photographer but am getting more and more into video (using a 5D2 and a GH2). This is fun !
It is fairly easy to give access to pictures to clients via e-mail, a website (smugmug, etc.)
How do you guys handle this for video ? Since I am not doing the final movie editing at this stage but am rather providing footage, I need my clients
-To be able to preview the video online (smugmug does it, vimeo is an option)
-To be able to download selected original files to work on them (I believe smugmug always compress the original files for example)
Is there a viable and simple online option or do I have to accept to upload scaled-down files for preview and then deal with DVDs, Blu-rays, FTP, etc.)

Also, what DAM software are you using for videos ? I thought I could survive with Lightroom but it does not recognizes the GH2 .mts files so I need something else.

Thanks !

Franck

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Re: Sharing videos with clients, DAM for videos
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:35:09 pm »

I would consider buying two hard drives for every project - billable to the client, one for them one for you

USB HDs can be a problem as they can be difficult to play/edit off

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

michaelnotar

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 06:39:42 pm »

i edit in final cut and use the compressor program for compressing it/downsizing it. ie  shoot and edit in 1080 and output it as a 1080 file, then send to compressor and output it using the quicktime 6/7 LAN action that makes it H.264 .mov file, and i have it set to make it 270x480. Lan as far as i can see does not cause any compression artifacts like a jpg.

video is slow going and takes lots of memory/storage. cant get around that.

its a simliar workflow to photography. if you work on/edit/color correct a low res video, then you loose all your effort to redo it on HD.

however, color correction should be done at the end of a project if using final cut suite. you have to make sure 110% that all your editing, audio, titlework, etc etc etc is perfect before color grading/correcting it.

i second the HDD suggestion previously mentioned if you need to send raw footage. we usually just send something via server of the final product.

FDewannieux

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 04:32:47 pm »

Thanks for the answers, much appreciated !
Pages: [1]   Go Up