Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf vs. Phase One backs for outdoor work  (Read 9382 times)

BillOConnor

Leaf vs. Phase One backs for outdoor work
« on: May 10, 2011, 08:40:48 pm »

I was told by someone who may know what he is talking about, that the Leaf back is a poor choice
for outdoor work, he says the back is not as sealed up as a P1 and that it is more of a studio back.
That came as a surprise to me.
Anyone have input/direct experience is this regard?

Bill

ternst

Re: Leaf vs. Phase One backs for outdoor work
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 09:33:31 pm »

I used an AP2 10 quite a bit last fall outdoors in all sorts of weather and never had any issues. You don't really want to get any camera "wet" but I didn't feel like I had to take any special precautions with the Leaf vs. my Phase One back.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 09:36:24 pm »

Leaf backs use a fan to cool the components, just like your computer.  I think that is where the comment comes from.

Dave

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 10:07:21 pm »

I was told by someone who may know what he is talking about, that the Leaf back is a poor choice
for outdoor work, he says the back is not as sealed up as a P1 and that it is more of a studio back.
That came as a surprise to me.
Anyone have input/direct experience is this regard?

Bill

Leaf backs have a fan to keep cool and vent. That is all.

The rest of remarks are absolute nonsese and a lack of knowledge of Leaf backs and their durability. Photography is my very serious hobby (grand landscapes, traditional people, personal portraits etc) and I travel much with my Leaf both here in Asia and Europe (primarily). My first trip with Leaf was to dusty India and it is humid in many places in Asia.

No, I have not frozen mine, baked it, dropped it from balloon or had elephant or jeep step on it. Nor do I use my other gear in such ways :).

What do surprise me is that many must not take care of their gear, and thus my experience is that weather seals are overrated and much marketing hype (what if water penetrate a broken seal, then will have trouble getting out…). I would have no worry of photographing in any weather that can bring me quality images with my Leaf or with any of my gear. It it rains I keep them dry apart from light sprinkles (umbrella helps), when stored I keep my Leaf back in zip lock bag etc. Last number of months I have sold off many of my camera gear due reorganizing in order to minimize number of gear. All have been mint or near mint because while I do use them as TOOLS, I also take care of them with some simple caution. My Aptus 65 is heading for trade in as part of upgrade to my new Leaf that is current on order.

Add to above the truly excellent support by Leaf and it is the number one digital capturing device I recommend, and very highly so. The largest display and superb image quality of course is at the very top.

I hope above helps  ;)

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:17:00 pm by Anders_HK »

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 01:27:23 am »

I have used my Leaf Aptus 7 on an AFI and Cambo all over South Africa and Lesotho. Rain, dust, heat and cold. I did question my sanity once in Lesotho standing out in the mountains with a golf umbrella to protect the camera from the rain but I have had no problems at all.

The new Aptus 12  R I am currently using is a better field camera than the 7 in my opinion for two reasons.

1. The rotating sensor means I get less dust in unwanted places as it is no longer necessary to remove the back to change from vertical to horizontal and
2. The LCD flips up making it easier to view and shield from bright sun when working outdoors.

I have never used a Phase outdoors but friends that have assure me that is also very capable.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BillOConnor

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 08:29:17 am »

This is why I love this forum.
Thank you, gentlemen for taking the time for a reply.

MBat

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 01:33:41 pm »

My Aptus 75 (RB67 or M645af) goes on the fritz if I let it get very cold (like < 5degC). It doesn't seem to hurt it, but while it is cold, it won't switch on, even if the battery is OK and warm. Once warmed up it comes back to being OK.  My Phase One H20 doesn't exhibit this issue, but is of a quite different technology to the newer backs.

I'm not sure i'd take any digital back out in the driving rain though.

Mark B

pixjohn

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:43:04 pm »

I use my Leaf back from Death Valley to the cold snow no problems.

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 10:15:51 pm »

I have had 4 leaf backs and NOT ONE issue with any of them. I had a 12R on order but switched to the Phase IQ180 only because I use Alpa and the focus mask will be invaluable, no other reason. I am using a Phase 65+ as a loaner for the last couple of months until my IQ180 arrives, and honestly miss the Leaf, but the IQ180 will take care of that :) The reason I wanted the Revolving back is due to the large amount of time I spend shooting seascapes right on the beach--not having to take off the back to rotate would have been a big advantage in the salt air--it was really a tough choice.

Dennis

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 07:07:17 am »

Here's one well-known photographer's solution:

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 10:54:29 am »

Same here, all of our Leaf Backs have been ultra reliable under various conditions. Love the image quality and couldn´t be happier.

Cheers, Ulf

DeeJay

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 11:00:02 am »

I've used the Phase Backs in rain, snow, desert and humid. Never had an issue.

I think both backs are pretty close in terms of image quality these days too.

Try both out and decide which one you personally like best. I think that's what it ones down to these days.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 11:22:34 am »

I think there are more important features of the IQ series that favor the new phase backs like focus mask etc
Marc
Marc McCalmont

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 05:02:52 pm »

Maybe focus mask is nice but the rotating back is a feature you don't realize how great it is until you use it. Taking the back on and off to turn it several times a day outside means constant cleaning and the chance to drop or bop is there every time. 
Rolleiflex USA

aknicholas

• A K Nicholas - Figurative Photography
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 11:56:39 am »

"outdoors" is fairly broad. Would we be okay taking a Leaf back near a waterfall? At a waterfall, your camera does not get wet, but you have a mist of water everywhere. How about the beach? Sand blows, and even if you're careful, a few grains will get on the camera. I'm okay with bringing pro dslr equipment into these situations, but what about medium format stuff? Camera and back? --- maybe another way to ask, what are the most extreme situations you put your MF through?

Aaron

sbernthal

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 02:40:48 pm »

I've had an experience where a Leaf back stopped working for a few hours in 40 degrees Celsius.

The weather was very hot, but not that unusual.

This never happened to me with any other camera, and effectively stopped a shoot in the middle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up